TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Now if Batman backwards really is more tame, then would Kong backwards be less rough? Hmm...

I seriously think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't mind Kong at all.

I'm right there with you. I guess I've just never experienced the pain that others seem to. It's not my favorite ride or anything, but I usually ride it just about every visit.

Roar on the other hand... I used to really like that ride, but it got nearly unbearable a couple years ago and hasn't gotten any better since. I hope this re-tracking work they're doing will bring it back to at least being fun again.

I don't mind Kong as much as other enthusiasts, I ride it every time.

Speaking of, I decided to go to the park on Saturday as a side trip on my way home to my family (5 hours away) even though I was sick with a cold. I only went for about 2 or 3 hours, but I rode all major coasters except Roar (still being retracked) and Boomerang (I never ride it).

Superman line was only in two switchbacks but felt like it took forever this time, maybe half an hour? Kong was actually a few switchbacks in but I waited anyway. It felt rougher this time all congested as I am, but I know how to tolerate it, and the loop is actually pretty thrilling.

I rode Skyscreamer backwards, and I can't say the experience was overwhelmingly different for me. It was nice having the wind on the back of my neck after suffering through the heat with nothing to drink and being a little sick. I do think it was maybe a little less dizzying? Someone who's not sick needs to give their non-Dayquil-affected opinion.

A few photos I took:

IMG_0051.thumb.jpg.50ade180bf919d35c2c264ee829dd9de.jpg

Cute dolphin was amused by me taking photos of it

IMG_0054.thumb.jpg.214723307c92e331cd6999592fb80fb8.jpg

Oh hello there! I didn't get to see Drench! for time reasons but I still have to include cute dolphin photos

IMG_0058.thumb.jpg.76e7ce044db14c2a0b4eb7736efa7b43.jpg

Cute little Mirabella! Tough to get a good photo of her though.

IMG_0059.thumb.jpg.48810e65b9d36ea0c07e2b1aebf2ab5c.jpg

Construction on Tsunami Soaker. Yes, I did stick my camera through the fence slats to take this.

IMG_0062.thumb.jpg.690d9567852843efa216bffa748c32a3.jpg

First day of Monsoon Falls reopening and looked like it was pretty popular! Looked like they were only running one boat as well. It was warm enough I would have ridden it if it weren't for the wait!

IMG_0066.thumb.jpg.33cc7f6532adbd85f82e2818b482031c.jpg

This is what I love. Short Medusa line! And only around 4pm!

did anyone else get the "GoodOne" survey? What a stupid name that is haha. Though, I woulnd't say no to some healthier food options

I didn't get it. If anyone gets a survey about food, please please please suggest more vegetarian/vegan options! There's like literally two things at SFDK that are vegetarian, and only one of them on the food plan (cheese pizza) which is definitely not vegan. So poor vegans!

Speaking of healthy foods as well, this is random but look at what our Subway store has now (in addition to save $15 coupons):

IMG_0112.thumb.jpg.8d3e371aef27e2769282d989c98e3e21.jpg

I wonder how many stores are actually doing this, but I know it's at least the North Bay.

I think Burger King and other hamburger places have done promos with SFDK before but as far as I remember, this is the first time Subway has done it and changed the cups to go with it.

Too bad there's no more Subway at SFDK.

Hey, I'm heading up to DK in a week. Does anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive motels in the area? I'll just be staying the night, then heading down to Great America.

Thanks!

Just be careful of the Vallejo area. There's a lot of not so great areas. The courtyard across the street is super convenient, but somewhat prices for the area. You may want to stay somewhere halfway, or closer to CGA. Depending on what days you're going, the traffic from Vallejo to Santa Clara can be absolutely terrible. I would recommend driving down that night, and staying in the Santa Clara area.

I saw you're doing SFDK -> CGA -> SCBB. Of the three I would recommend staying closer to CGA, Santa Clara is easily going to have the most options and better neighborhoods. SFDK isn't really a "dawn to dusk" park like SFMM or CP can be, so I'd recommend hitting SFDK first and then driving to the hotel closer to CGA afterwards.

Traffic from CGA to SCBB can be horrific too, especially on the 880. I once idled all the way there almost never touching the gas pedal because traffic was so bad, it took about 3 hours (when it should take 1), so if you're going on a weekday avoid the 880. Going a slightly longer route will likely be quicker.

I'm planning on driving to my next destination at the end of each day, so I would be staying at three different hotels. I only need an adequately clean bed/facilities and internet access. My travel days will be a Monday-Thursday, coming up from Los Angeles, if that gives you any idea of what kinds of traffic patterns I should be encountering. I'll be staying at a motel nearby the night before each park.

Any opinion on the Super 8 motel chain? They seem affordable, yet a level above Motel 6.

I saw you're doing SFDK -> CGA -> SCBB. Of the three I would recommend staying closer to CGA, Santa Clara is easily going to have the most options and better neighborhoods. SFDK isn't really a "dawn to dusk" park like SFMM or CP can be, so I'd recommend hitting SFDK first and then driving to the hotel closer to CGA afterwards.

Traffic from CGA to SCBB can be horrific too, especially on the 880. I once idled all the way there almost never touching the gas pedal because traffic was so bad, it took about 3 hours (when it should take 1), so if you're going on a weekday avoid the 880. Going a slightly longer route will likely be quicker.

^ Right, but since CGA is the middle park, you could do SFDK, then go to the CGA hotel, then do CGA, then stay at the CGA hotel the second night, then move on to SCBB. Super 8s are usually fine, anything that is a chain is more than fine if you're just looking for "not disgusting" like I usually do.

I was considering staying two consecutive nights in Santa Clara, but I'd like to see the SCBB during the evening, so I will likely drive down after my CGA visit.

quote="singemfrc"]^ Right, but since CGA is the middle park, you could do SFDK, then go to the CGA hotel, then do CGA, then stay at the CGA hotel the second night, then move on to SCBB. Super 8s are usually fine, anything that is a chain is more than fine if you're just looking for "not disgusting" like I usually do.

The hotel across from the freeway by the Black Bear Diner isn't so bad. I can't remember what type of hotel it is though, but if you mentioned it I'd remember.

Just got back from the park! I literally was there for about 2 or 3 hours and did everything I wanted to do. The day started out rainy and cold, so even when it cleared up, the park was DEAD.

I also almostttttt rode Boomerang. I got as far as sitting down and asking myself, "Am I really going to do this willingly, alone??" But just then, it broke down. I walked away and didn't come back. Another coaster enthusiast said of the breakdown, "That's the definition of mercy."

Here are my photos with some progress on Tsunami Soaker and more!

IMG_0118.thumb.jpg.0fd4b74157567770b50c055ba720cf1c.jpg

Cold cold day, but it cleared right up!

IMG_0121.thumb.jpg.58a694abb0bd3257fec537fe38db3bd7.jpg

I like good, young wood

IMG_0122.thumb.jpg.15b36e06c23e877e629d5da05fd8bedf.jpg

Oh yeah, you're gonna be nice and smooth now in the beginning, still rough and hard at the end

IMG_0123.thumb.jpg.e61c6e60f2521388d7954f1bc1118739.jpg

They were working on it today as well

IMG_0127.thumb.jpg.fed88f9f2d6b597736589dc5cfcfadf7.jpg

I spy a large damp hole

IMG_0126.thumb.jpg.0ee4d6a239288186e74c921cbaf87f5b.jpg

I saw all these metal things from Superman (and of course, dead whales too). I'm guessing the new metal is for Tsunami but idk which part of the ride it's for

IMG_0124.thumb.jpg.85cc23eb29b792dfd6da34c0a879a4b6.jpg

Superman is great when he's damp... and when you don't have to wait your turn for him!

IMG_0141.thumb.jpg.1cc3b6c7f39cec308dac9eda59b43ab9.jpg

The butterfly exhibit was nice and warm inside

IMG_0137.thumb.jpg.165ba32a5984dd9d9c7a3b359a66fb26.jpg

I hope this exhibit continues to stay for a while!

IMG_0144.thumb.jpg.5a7baf73ae3b8205eb11098e626a7da3.jpg

Apparently he came in around Fright Fest last year. I didn't notice this exhibit until now

IMG_0147.thumb.jpg.2f0fe1e8c43d6545f1303dfaec9f8884.jpg

OMG!! My first time EVER riding this with the waterjets! It was a nice touch to stare at the water and not empty, trash-filled, concrete...nothing

IMG_0149.thumb.jpg.5797e6e367d35421785e15633f7778b0.jpg

Kong wood, because having wood is definitely gonna improve your experience on Kong! Seriously, why is this here?

IMG_0133.thumb.jpg.6063b344f9dcc161640d13777af8c469.jpg

Signature dolphin photo! Thanks for reading, guys. Hope nothing I said was offensive :p

I also almostttttt rode Boomerang. I got as far as sitting down and asking myself, "Am I really going to do this willingly, alone??" But just then, it broke down. I walked away and didn't come back. Another coaster enthusiast said of the breakdown, "That's the definition of mercy."

Who is the genius who came up with that quote? It's absolutely brilliant!

I think I've seen enough of Six Flags' toilets running backwards to suit me, thank you.

Wow, backwards swing ride on stilts. Half expecting Six Flags to run their toilets backwards sometime in the near future..