TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it was an old coaster that was moved around from park to park and spare parts for it were hard to, so that is why Zonga was always closed when it was at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom!

Also it was a maintenance nightmare that couldn't open with the park. Also parts couldn't be that hard as it's still operating in Mexico.

^I'm going to take a wild guess and say that it was an old coaster that was moved around from park to park and spare parts for it were hard to, so that is why Zonga was always closed when it was at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom!

Also it was a maintenance nightmare that couldn't open with the park. Also parts couldn't be that hard as it's still operating in Mexico.

A maintenance nightmare? I don't know about that.

I think there is one member on here who could give the correct story of this ride, Double0Kevin.

Someone say Zonga? Although the ride had some fairly serious maintenance issues. The parts were not that hard to come by and by the time the ride was closed and removed, most the kinks had been worked out. It was not a nightmare, and I'm not sure it even had the most downtime in the park, I believe that honor went to V2. There were other underlying reasons *cough* California *cough* that forced the ride to close for good.

An interesting promotion I noticed in the new newsletter:

Carload Weekend January 25 and 26

Celebrate the weekend before the Big Game with a visit to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to get big thrills and special deals as part of your family traditions. On January 25 and 26, load your vehicle safely with as many buddies, with everyone wearing seat belts, as possible and the car will receive park admission for just $49.99, between 9 a.m. and 10:00 a.m. Check the website the week of January 20 for details and the redemption coupon

Since S:UF only has one train and the park is now open year round, we should've seen this coming, but S:UF is now closed for annual rehab (don't know for how long). I assume V2 will at some point close as well, but hopefully they will wait until S:UF is back open first.

Since S:UF only has one train and the park is now open year round, we should've seen this coming, but S:UF is now closed for annual rehab (don't know for how long). I assume V2 will at some point close as well, but hopefully they will wait until S:UF is back open first.

A Six Flags first: Zero train operation.

Here’s a trip report for yesterday. We started off the day at Medusa and because the line was really short, we decided to do it again. Mechanical problems were definitely an issue during our visit. The second ride we went to, V2: Vertical Velocity, wasn’t up-and-running. As we were about to get on Roar, which had the longest wait of the day, it stopped working. We already had our seats fastened for Hammerhead Shark when it too all of a sudden stopped working, so we had to exit the ride. Thankfully, all three of these rides later on were back up-and-running and we were able to ride them. I did the Rock Wall Climbing Challenge for the first time (I think $7 is on the high side) and while I was not able to reach the top, I still was able to get pretty high up. I was really disappointed that Superman: Ultimate Flight wasn’t open, although I knew going in that it wouldn’t be operating. I’m looking forward to the new ride - Tsunami Soaker.

I spoke with a park representative today and she said it would be closed for at least the month of January for maintenance, maybe longer.

I also called the park with the same inquiry (called yesterday). Similar to the message you got, the woman said that Superman is scheduled to re-open "in the beginning of February". She said they would know a more firm date as it gets closer to February, so call back at the end of the month.

Out of curiosity how have the offseason crowds been since the park switched to year-round operation? Does this seem to be a hit or is it too early to tell?

How would you define "a hit"? It's still the off season, so it's not going to be busy, but it's tough to tell whether they're profitable which is ultimately the goal.

I don't think it will take much to be profitable. The already have the expense of maintaining the rides and care for the animals. They just need to staff the place. If nothing else I would think people will go to the park just for the animals, except the Blackfish people of course!