TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I haven't ridden it in years. Funny, last time I was at the park I looked at it and thought that I wanted to ride it again, but said, "Nah, next time." Maybe "next time" will be never again. I do think it didn't really fit where it was, and sounds like it was horrible to operate, but I'll miss it....only because they're whales. I have a huge weakness for orcas if you guys didn't already know and it gave me joy just looking at the cute little whale boats.

If they're gonna scrap it, I want one. I'll buy them. I know it's never gonna happen, but still. I'll put it in my room and caress it and cry over Yaka and Vigga and fill it with all my accumulated whale plushies. Okay maybe not, but I still love orcas.

I can't imagine too many people missing that ride. Good riddance.

If you look at the park's Facebook page, most of the comments are actually people complaining about Wave Jumper being taken out. Funny, it never had much of a line, but then again people LOVE to complain

I was at Discovery Kingdom today. Nice touch letting in season pass holders 1 hour earlier! I really felt sorry for the ride-ops this evening. It was soooo cold tonight, and they were open until 9pm. I left at 5, once the sun went down. I thought there was a minimum temperature to operate coasters at. It was 42 when I left, and that fell into the 30's at closing.

One gripe I've got to add. They were selling Hot Chocolate for $6.99. That was for all you can drink toda,y and a souvenir mug. That definitely is a little steep!

^While I can't answer for Kevin, I also spent time operating it, and I can verify that it was the most vile piece of machinery in the park. Flat window on the operator booth that reflects everything in your face, gates that break easily, a ridiculously high height requirement that would absolutely piss off guests as you tried to explain why kids need to be so tall to ride such a lame ride, a very underwhelming ride experience due to poor programming that would cause guests to take their anger out on you after the ride, seats that would literally burn people when the sun was out, you can't see half of the riders from the operator's booth, previously mentioned booth is poorly ventilated and gets extremely hot, the fault light quit working so the ride could be broken and you wouldn't know it, the cooling system produces a ridiculously loud droning sound so you have to shout at people right in front of you to be heard, whale flippers in the gondolas that stick way out causing a tripping hazard.

And those restraints. Holy Jeebus Christ those restraints. Whoever designed those never spent ANY time out of a cubicle or away from a drafting table.

I could go on, but just writing that brought back bad memories.

THIS. ALL OF THIS. Wave Jumper was the first ride I ever learned to operate when I was 16. Honestly, I almost completely quit the theme park industry back then as a kid just because of that ride. Luckily I was eventually trained for Roar and (my baby) Zonga and the rest is history. But god, what an awful ride.

And V2-dude, those glorious restraints were actually an in-house modification after some issues with the original set up.

I'll put it in my room and caress it and cry over Yaka and Vigga and fill it with all my accumulated whale plushies.

Creepiest thing I've ever heard you say. And you've said some creepy stuff to me.

It will probably be relocated somewhere, either to another Six Flags park or somewhere else in SFDK. I just don't see the ride being scrapped.

If it was up to me, I'd send it to SFMM which could use a family flat ride.

Fixed.

Good day spent at the park today with my 10 year old son and two of his friends. 2 rides on Medusa (first time riding for one of them, who even today was juuuuuust tall enough to get on. He loved it of course), 1 ride on Kong (surprisingly smooth today), and 1 time each on Roar, Superman, and Boomerang. Sadly, none of the kids wanted to go on V2 (always been one of my favorites, but it seems barely anyone shares my opinion of it. S:UF and Roar had the longest lines, but neither was more than maybe 25 minutes. Roar and Kong were running 1 train, Medusa had 2. Boomerang was a walk on. Its always fun to see a kids reaction first time riding "real" coasters (his only previous coaster experience was Disneyland). Good day indeed

Good day spent at the park today with my 10 year old son and two of his friends. 2 rides on Medusa (first time riding for one of them, who even today was juuuuuust tall enough to get on. He loved it of course), 1 ride on Kong (surprisingly smooth today), and 1 time each on Roar, Superman, and Boomerang. Sadly, none of the kids wanted to go on V2 (always been one of my favorites, but it seems barely anyone shares my opinion of it. S:UF and Roar had the longest lines, but neither was more than maybe 25 minutes. Roar and Kong were running 1 train, Medusa had 2. Boomerang was a walk on. Its always fun to see a kids reaction first time riding "real" coasters (his only previous coaster experience was Disneyland). Good day indeed
I think Medusa is one of the best coasters out there for people in that situation, people who've only ridden Disney and perhaps a woodie or two. It's a great one to break someone in on "real" coasters as it's smooth and not real shocking.

I'm visiting the park for the first time sometime between Christmas and New Years. Does it get crowded that week? And what's a good order to ride the coasters? I'm guessing Superman first?

My only experience with this time of year came last year on New Years Eve itself, and the crowds weren't bad. I was just there this last weekend and it wasn't too bad either, so my guess is that you should be good.

As far as ride order..... You can start with Superman, then hit Roar and V2, then make your way to Medusa and Kong and Sky Screamer, then Hammerhead before making your way to Boomerang, Tasmanian Devil, Scatabout, and VooDoo (although the area of the park where VooDoo is was blocked off this last weekend when I was there. Everything else, short of the 2 water rides, appeared to be up and running.