TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

anyone else hear about this? Theme Park Overload posted it over the weekend. I didn't see anything about it in the Bay Area news at all (report is from a Sacramento area station.)

http://www.news10.net/news/local/article/262303/2/Sea-lion-bites-trainer-at-Six-Flags-Discovery-Kingdom

Yes, and I think that the news is stupid to even cover this..they said the treatment was a shot, a band-aid, and neosporin..sounds slightly more serious than a cat scratch.

This is news? Er, if you work with wild animals for a living, you're going to be bitten or scratched from time to time. It's an occupational hazard.

Exactly, if the wild animals were completely safe, guests could intermingle with them. The end of the article is interesting where the guy states it is not surprising the animal bit her. Doing the same tricks over and over, day after day, year after year would cause some sort of psychosis. I get a little tired of people trying to put human emotions and conditions on to animals.

Cool little nugget buried in the current newsletter:

As a Season Pass Holder, you can experience the magic of Holiday in the Park before anyone else. Flash your 2013 or 2014 Season Pass at the front gate to enter the park one hour early, at 2 p.m., every operating day from November 29 through December 23. You’ll have an exclusive hour to enjoy all our rides, attractions, and characters. This special time is also valid if using Bring-a-Friend Value Book coupons. Park opens to the public at 3 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the first ride of the day on Superman, and it now has seat belts! The rideop told me today was the first day for the belts. It doesn't change the ride experience, but dispatches takes a lot longer. If the lap bar is pulled down by the rider with out the seat belt being fastened all lap bars must be released. Good design Premier Rides! They tell you several times to not pull down on the bars, but people are idiots. Six Flags has really gone off the deep end on their new safety kick IMO.

I was on the first ride of the day on Superman, and it now has seat belts! The rideop told me today was the first day for the belts. It doesn't change the ride experience, but dispatches takes a lot longer. If the lap bar is pulled down by the rider with out the seat belt being fastened all lap bars must be released. Good design Premier Rides! They tell you several times to not pull down on the bars, but people are idiots. Six Flags has really gone off the deep end on their new safety kick IMO.
How is that Premier's fault? The ride was designed without the need for seat belts. Six Flags decided to add them after the fact.

How is that Premier's fault? The ride was designed without the need for seat belts. Six Flags decided to add them after the fact.

A well designed ride would allow release of just a row of restraints, not the entire train's restraints. This adds to dispatch times because people don't listen to the announcement to not pull down the restraints.

A well designed ride would allow release of just a row of restraints, not the entire train's restraints. This adds to dispatch times because people don't listen to the announcement to not pull down the restraints.

I'm not sure about the new Premier's but I know the old one's allow one car to release rather than the whole train.

I went to the park today and found out about the seatbelts on my way. The park was DEAD. In less than two hours, I had ridden Superman 6 times, Roar, V2, Kong, and Medusa.

About the seatbelts... I really didn't think they interfered with the ride experience at all. I didn't notice them during the ride. When you go into the station, they remind you several times to sit down and fasten your seatbelts and NOT to pull down the lap bar. The ride ops have to do it. If someone pulls their lap bar down, they have to unlock the restraints and do it all over so they can pull it down for you. This part was annoying because they tended to staple you a little too hard, but even with extreme stapling, you still get plenty of airtime. I think the worst part about this is the slowing down of dispatches. With the park being so dead, it didn't really matter. However, with the lines I saw during FFest and several days over the summer, I think all the extra seconds needed for this process will add up and the lines will move a little slower than we've been used to. But really, all of you guys freaking out about this, who cares?!? It's still an awesome ride, I'm still super glad SFDK has this ride, and I don't care if I have to wait a few extra minutes for it. If you care so much, then don't ride. Shorter wait for the rest of us.

Also, we got our first ever stall on SkyScreamer! It was only a few minutes we were up there, and ended up being pretty cool (in both senses of the word) with nice views, and eerily swaying in the wind.

IMG_4110.JPG.5758381fade50a3b61342d838135592a.JPG

The wait for Superman most of the day

IMG_4109.JPG.cfe859cc01f8a49fc591d9af7f989ceb.JPG

For the seatbelt nerds. It's really not a big deal.

IMG_4111.JPG.9efd8d1ec8a31e735a2421e8311c8ced.JPG

I don't blame anyone that this line was the shortest I saw all day. I almost had a train to myself.

IMG_4112.JPG.ec8cb69e2f9a504e9f72641453878133.JPG

Walked straight up and rode Medusa in the front. Right after this, a whole group came in that filled in the other rows on the next two trains. Even the ride op was surprised

IMG_4133.JPG.76610a159b5ae77a4fbb54e8dc97d12e.JPG

I always have to post a dolphin pic.... can I still be a dolphin trainer???

IMG_4136.JPG.c3e6f4b00a48c222656bb9e400254594.JPG

The tree!

^^ It seems like some people on here come here simply to complain. I agree, if a ride is that bad, dont ride. If a park is that horrible, dont go. It will save room in the queue for those of us who are true enthusiasts.

I understand that there will be complaints, and negative reviews, as I have shared my own opinions with such. But some people make mountains out of mole hills and never have a positive remark. Thats when it gets annoying and old.

Weird question but does anyone know when a 2013 Gold pass and the Magic mountain thrill pass expires? Also does the Magic Mountain pass get you into Holiday in the Park?
They go by calendar year now, so they're good until 12/31. Yes any SF SP will get you into SFDK any operating day.

With the train only having what, 2 cars, is this really that big of a deal? Imagine how it would be if there were 5 or 6 cars- THAT would be a serious problem.

I agree.

Personally I don't think seat belts are necessary, but if it makes the GP feel better, then I don't have a problem with it. Plus seat belts don't have much of an effect on ride experience. It isn't like SFDK is adding OTSRs to the trains.

I don't think seatbelts are that much of a problem on rides except for when you have to check them individually before pulling down the main harness. It is very annoying on Aftershock, which already has a seat belt connected to the harness.

This doesn't happen on PTC trains, though. I've always been able to pull down my bar after connecting my seat belt before the ride-op checked me on rides like Tremors, Timber Terror, Twister 2, NM Rattler, etc...

^While I can't answer for Kevin, I also spent time operating it, and I can verify that it was the most vile piece of machinery in the park. Flat window on the operator booth that reflects everything in your face, gates that break easily, a ridiculously high height requirement that would absolutely piss off guests as you tried to explain why kids need to be so tall to ride such a lame ride, a very underwhelming ride experience due to poor programming that would cause guests to take their anger out on you after the ride, seats that would literally burn people when the sun was out, you can't see half of the riders from the operator's booth, previously mentioned booth is poorly ventilated and gets extremely hot, the fault light quit working so the ride could be broken and you wouldn't know it, the cooling system produces a ridiculously loud droning sound so you have to shout at people right in front of you to be heard, whale flippers in the gondolas that stick way out causing a tripping hazard.

And those restraints. Holy Jeebus Christ those restraints. Whoever designed those never spent ANY time out of a cubicle or away from a drafting table.

I could go on, but just writing that brought back bad memories.