TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Already home to the best entertainment in Northern California, the park will introduce a brand new interactive water ride, the first of its kind at the park.

Ok, wait, did anyone laugh as hard as I did reading this sentence?!!? Very good SFDK, you bought a ride you don't already have at the park!?!?

Yeah, they probably should've thought twice about that sentence.

This is quite exciting to fully have no off-season (clarifying myself here...as in, park not fully closed). I have done SCBB in February under limited operation (Rode Dipper) but now having a 2nd 'year round' park is even more awesome! Can another Bay Area park take hint now?

Tsunami Soaker...sounds like a complete unacceptable amount of wetness, something SFDK needs. Currently CGA has the superior water ride collection with the log flume, spill water, and rapids...not to forget Boomerang Bay. This gives 1 more water attraction for SFDK-goers to enjoy (and help spread the crowds among the park's other 2 water rides.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

And unfortunately, the north bay is known for its more significant amount of rainfall compared to the rest of the bay...as in the storms usually hit there first while the rest of us in the central and South Bay get the outskirts of the said storm. So, we shall see how many closed days SFDK ends up doing due to inclement weather. I wouldn't mind a foggy ride though on Medusa, Sky Screamer, or Superman

Woohoo, NorCal officially has no more off season!

Did the Santa Cruz Boardwalk completely close during the winter?

They have limited ride operation through the quieter months, IIRC. I rode Giant Dipper in November of 2011 once.

SCBB has limited ride operation in Winter though the rides are closed for about a month in December, 12/2-12/25 this year. I do see SFDK will be open every weekend except for 2 weekends in Nov to prepare for HITP, though I see it is open in between those for Veteran's Day. We'll definitely see how it goes, as AngryGumball mentioned SFDK does shut down during bad weather.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/info/parkInfo.aspx

I find it humorous that everyone assumes the park will be in full operation in the winter. I'm sure it won't be as scaled back as SCBB, but I'm willing to bet that it's similar to how they run HIP with many attractions closed. As far as the weather, Vallejo doesn't usually get hit too terribly until March. Having spent many a seasons there, I can remember getting ready for park opening in sunny weather all February and then having it pour everyday once the park opened. If they run the park on limited operation like with HIP, even with rainy days they should be able to turn a profit.

I also find that quote humorous about the "first of it's kind in the park" because they do repeat rides a lot. This is a park that has 4 different versions of a swing ride, 2 crazy bus rides (Daffy's Deep Sea Diver and the one in old Thomas Town), 2 tea cup rides, 2 spinning "balloon" rides, 2 trains (one replaced a third), 4 "dumbo" style rides, and 2 LIM coasters. They kinda like to repeat.

^^No one's assuming the park will be in full park op mode in the winter, we're just stating what SCBB does. It's safe to say with the temperamental weather in NorCal and staffing it'll most likely be like HITP, I'm just glad our season is now longer...

Hi guys, I am planing on going to SFDK with my wife and two kids, 4yr old and a 1/12 yr old for Labor Day for our first time. We really won't be doing any big coasters. We will just be doing rides for the kids and whatever other stuff they have for kids to enjoy. Is it really crowded on Labor Day? And can we do the park in one day?

Thanks

I'd definitely expect Saturday and Sunday to be quite busy. A similar weekend, Memorial Day Weekend I went on a Monday where crowds were much lighter...since the following day was a work/school day. But yea, expect crowds for Saturday and Sunday! The kids areas shouldn't be too bad plus there's always animal exhibits they will enjoy. Only frustrations will be navigating the park with its narrow paths and what I dealt with, countless super-wide strollers to dodge.

I'd definitely expect Saturday and Sunday to be quite busy. A similar weekend, Memorial Day Weekend I went on a Monday where crowds were much lighter...since the following day was a work/school day. But yea, expect crowds for Saturday and Sunday! The kids areas shouldn't be too bad plus there's always animal exhibits they will enjoy. Only frustrations will be navigating the park with its narrow paths and what I dealt with, countless super-wide strollers to dodge.

Thanks, I will be going on Monday Labor Day so hopefully it's not to crazy.

Newbie to the boards here, but season pass holder at SFDK for a few years now. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on/find out if anyone knows where Tsunami Soaker will be going. Obviously it's not going to have a huge footprint, and I'm hoping they don't have to take anything out to get it to fit. If they do take anything out, I was thinking Acme Water Works (it was dry every time I went this summer anyway), Wave Swinger (basically replaced by Sky Screamer), or Wave Jumper. Anyone else have any ideas?

I went on both Father's Day and Memorial Day on Sunday this year, and the crowds really weren't bad at all. It seems like, especially this year, that the majority of the people in the park are families with younger children. In my five trips this year, all on weekends, I never had to wait more than 20 minutes for Kong, Medusa, or V2. Roar we waited maybe 30 minutes max, and about the same for Superman. The water rides on the other hand.... Those can get a little crazy on a hot day. I would expect similar wait times on Labor Day weekend.

Newbie to the boards here, but season pass holder at SFDK for a few years now. Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on/find out if anyone knows where Tsunami Soaker will be going. Obviously it's not going to have a huge footprint, and I'm hoping they don't have to take anything out to get it to fit. If they do take anything out, I was thinking Acme Water Works (it was dry every time I went this summer anyway), Wave Swinger (basically replaced by Sky Screamer), or Wave Jumper. Anyone else have any ideas?

There's a plot of land behind the Superman pad and next to Roar. I've heard there's been a bit of work going on there lately, so my guess is that they will put it there.

Already home to the best entertainment in Northern California, the park will introduce a brand new interactive water ride, the first of its kind at the park.

Ok, wait, did anyone laugh as hard as I did reading this sentence?!!? Very good SFDK, you bought a ride you don't already have at the park!?!?

Yeah, when I read that I was like WTF?

I'm trying to figure out where we all thought the park would be in full op... I'm well aware that winter time means scaled back operation, much needed ride rehabs *cough*Roar*cough* and so on...at least that's what makes sense to me.

I agree. Roar was so rough this season that it was almost unridable in some sections.

I was there just this last Sunday and Roar was REALLY rough. Normally I go on that at least 3 times every visit, but we only rode it the once this time.

As for the location of TS, I was thinking they'd want to have it in a more prominent position. That IS right by where you walk to get in, but once you're inside the park, it would become a little lost behind Roar and SUF. But I guess you put it where it fits best.....

I'm glad to hear that another Six Flags park is going to be open year round. This makes sense is as there isn't really any extreme winter weather in the Bay Area, except for the occasional storm when it pours. And Vallejo is typically warmer than San Francisco, although sometimes SF will have better weather in February than July (go figure ). I'm assuming the water rides will be closed, but most of the other rides could be up and running during the winter time. I hope more parks in places were there aren't extreme winters will become open year round if its successful at SFDK (and I think it will). Why aren't Texas parks open year round? How bad can San Antonio's Winters be?

I'm expecting that SFDK's operations in January and February will be the same as Holiday in the Park.

About Roar, I found the roughness to be the same this year as last year. It's still a lot smoother than GhostRider.