TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

When I was at the park on Thursday I thought something was different with Shouka Stadium,just couldn't put my finger on it as im not a regular to the park. Also it seems like there will be some re tracking work done on Roar in the offseason as I saw some new wood sitting in the area near the brake run.

By the way, Rolercstrluvr and I wanted to compliment the ride op at V2 for her hilarious (and well-informed) comments! Her name was Kaley I believe. What got our attention at first was her jokes about Kong:

"You know why they call it Kong? Because when you ride it, your head goes Kon-Kon, Kon-Kon, Kong!"

"Welcome back riders! If you didn't like this coaster, go ride Kong, then you'll appreciate V2 more!"

She was really funny, well-informed about V2 (including the modifications), and even engaged the audience a little. I wish all ride ops were like this, and I'll definitely be looking out for her next year!

When I went to Discovery Kingdom on New Years Day this last week I totally had the same ride op for V2. She was a ton of fun and definitely knew a lot abouth the park. I enjoyed it!

In general, it was my first time visiting SFDK and I was really impressed with this park. SFMM is pretty much my home park, being 30 minutes away, and I was really impressed with the presentation at SFDK. Everything seemed a lot cleaner and the staff were much more friendly than most of the people I encounter working at SFMM.

SFDK is one of, if not the most non-Six Flags park out there. It's still Six Flags, but very different from the norm.

That's for sure! It is the perfect mix of coasters, flats and other things (animals!) for me! I will definitely be making future trips to this park, especially when it's not Holiday in The Park, and everything is open!

By the way, Rolercstrluvr and I wanted to compliment the ride op at V2 for her hilarious (and well-informed) comments! Her name was Kaley I believe. What got our attention at first was her jokes about Kong:

"You know why they call it Kong? Because when you ride it, your head goes Kon-Kon, Kon-Kon, Kong!"

"Welcome back riders! If you didn't like this coaster, go ride Kong, then you'll appreciate V2 more!"

She was really funny, well-informed about V2 (including the modifications), and even engaged the audience a little. I wish all ride ops were like this, and I'll definitely be looking out for her next year!

If it's that girl with the dirty blonde hair and the surfer talk vibe, she was hella funny, definitely made time fly when were in line for V2 over the summer! "If you like this ride my name is Kaley and this is V2, if not my name is Keisha and this Kong" lol

If it's that girl with the dirty blonde hair and the surfer talk vibe, she was hella funny, definitely made time fly when were in line for V2 over the summer! "If you like this ride my name is Kaley and this is V2, if not my name is Keisha and this Kong" lol

Yep, that's the one! She even said that she'll probably be operating a different ride or coaster next year, and to look out for her. I definitely will! Would be funny if she ended up operating Kong after all the friendly smack she gave it, but maybe she already has operated Kong in the past?

I remember back in 2010's season my friend wanted to ride on Kong and I told him it's not worth the beating or something. While waiting in a 25 min line or longer the ride OP sarcastically said something along the lines of "Why are all of you waiting to ride Kong? It's horrible. Medusa has a short line right now."

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see a lot of you liked us at the Slaughter House Pig Farm, We worked really hard,

I was the woman(eating/dismembering the girl on the table)

I'll post some pics up of my make up (:

430421_3725626979708_1227629930_n.jpg.946109d3fecde18528f4bed8d8c4b66b.jpg

185007_3779928857221_1927212048_n.jpg.f87809e9413fcd43a60045fe6c974b4b.jpg

one of my favorite looks

22795_3806619684475_1847053520_n.jpg.883a2cf26057b60b7351cfd1bb3c4764.jpg

this one the second to the last day of fright fest and Ship Wreck needed me to help (: (I'm normally in the Slaughter House Pig Farm)

565004_3704724857168_971882876_n.jpg.ca9bb13259234b58a703d4a3f386641f.jpg

This is my absolute favorite make up from fright fest

547030_3756996843935_1713946042_n.jpg.275711ddfc6ad79cc7b0d1cdf9f9f898.jpg

another fave

59469_3775989758746_1585708462_n.jpg.4fcc23c040c12b4d743aa19e3045c5fa.jpg

Figured I'd throw into this topic the news that was reported to Screamscape. Don McCoy, Park President of The Great Escape, has been named to replace Dale Kaetzel (who is moving to SFoG), as Park President of SFDK.

I can personally attest to his great leadership from my time in the Loss Prevention department at The Great Escape. Don is the kind of guy who gives his full attention and respect to any employee or park guest, regardless of whether the employee is brand new at the bottom of the food chain or a member of management. He's a warm, friendly, fantastic guy who really has a passion for people and the industry. Congratulations to him on the promotion!

Shame to hear Dale is leaving. He was well liked around the park. I got nervous for a sec when I saw Great Escape. The last Park President that came out of there, Eric Gilbert, was a complete nightmare and ended up being the last one I worked under. But, from what I've seen of the new corporate management, they seem to pick their Park Presidents much better now-a-days. I'm sure Don will be great and wish him luck.

Congrats to SFoG on their luck getting Dale too.

Looks like Eric Gilbert is back at The Great Escape, this time as President. I too, was employed at SFDK during his tenure there and can honestly say those were indeed dark times at the park. Dale Kaetzel on the other hand was a class act. He was well liked and respected and could be seen regularly walking around the park interacting with guests and employees. I saw him almost every day while working at Superman. SFOG will be in good hands under this man. This McCoy guy coming to SFDK sounds good too but with the constant Park President musical chairs, I feel it won't be long before the park sees yet another new face in the captain's chair.

Edited by V2-dude

It's nice to see a lot of you liked us at the Slaughter House Pig Farm, We worked really hard,

I was the woman(eating/dismembering the girl on the table)

I loved that maze, definitely my favorite! And the scene that you worked in was really great! Awesome pics too!

And congrats to the new president! Hope he takes good care of our little park like the last guy did!

Figured I'd throw into this topic the news that was reported to Screamscape. Don McCoy, Park President of The Great Escape, has been named to replace Dale Kaetzel (who is moving to SFoG), as Park President of SFDK.

I can personally attest to his great leadership from my time in the Loss Prevention department at The Great Escape. Don is the kind of guy who gives his full attention and respect to any employee or park guest, regardless of whether the employee is brand new at the bottom of the food chain or a member of management. He's a warm, friendly, fantastic guy who really has a passion for people and the industry. Congratulations to him on the promotion!

As long as he doesn't get rid of the crepe and mini doughnut location I'll be happy!

SFDK is such a unique park, in a relatively tough northern california market, that they really do need a good park president. I really hope this new guy does a great job!

Who's watching the Superbowl this Sunday? Thought I should post this!

483034_10151443852507743_1535172677_n.jpg

We're having a bit of fun here in time for the Big Game! It was also a good excuse to remind everyone that, ahem, it was 49er Head Coach Jim Harbaugh who was the first to officially ride SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight! Check out the NBC Bay Area story about our friendly wager with our sister park in Baltimore Six Flags America!

From Facebook

Mayors are betting. Fans are betting. And now, amusement parks are making friendly wagers about who is going to win the Super Bowl, too.

On Monday, presidents of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo (representing the San Francisco 49ers) and Six Flags America in Baltimore (representing the Ravens) announced that the loser of the Big Game on Sunday in New Orleans will have to wear the winning jersey and cap all day.

And that's not all.

The loser also has to hang a gigantic banner outside the park saying, "We lost the bet! Congratulations (to the other team)." They also have to tweet and Facebook the results.

Of course, the loser has to give the other park goodies from its area: That would be Napa Valley wine, sourdough bread and Ghirardelli chocolate from San Francisco and Old Bay, Utz potato chips, Wye River Cream of Crab Soup, Brody’s wine and other treats from Baltimore.

Full Super Bowl coverage

“This is a serious game and we just don’t want to give Six Flags America the satisfaction of beating us,” joked Discovery Kingdom's Don McCoy. “It’s all in fun and we really do all work together as a team, but there’s something about a bet like this that makes winning all the more sweet.”

Apparently, 49ers Coach Jim Harbaugh loves Discovery Kingdom, as evidenced by his cheerful scream from the Superman ride when he went to the park in June and was the first to ride it, according to Six Flags.

If you listen closely, you can hear him saying," Jiminy Christmas" over and over.

From here.

This makes me want to take an out-of-the-way trip by SFDK to see the banner when the 49ers win!

^ They said the banner is going up at the losing park. So if the Niners win, you have to go to SFA. Which is BS cause their front gate is way hidden and only visible if you are going in the park.

Yeah I got it mixed up in my head. At least they will post it on Facebook for everyone, but the banner thing is kinda weird either way since no one will see it in person.

EDIT: MARINE WORLD IS DOING THE DINING PASS!!

Here's my summary of what the article said:

--$69.99 cost

--When you swipe your season pass, you automatically get one lunch and one dinner voucher added that's only valid during certain hours

--Participating restaurants include JB’s Smokehouse, Macho Nacho, Paddle Handle Corndogs, Paradise Snacks, Primo’s Pizzeria, and Totally Kickin’ Chicken.

--You get one entree. Drinks, sides, and desserts are not included

--The pass expires on Sept 23, but you can add Fright Fest meals for $5 more and HiP meals for $10 more

here

I'm glad we have this option now!

Here is some more info about the cirque show