TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^From what I've heard from other people: The Roar at SFDK is far superior to the Roar at SFA. What most people attribute this to is the Millennium Flyers on Roar at SFDK. Roar has been on the rougher side the last few seasons, but it's an over 10 year old ride that has only been re-tracked once in that time. I still find it really enjoyable!

^Technically Roar has never been fully retracked. Just a few portions that were in really bad shape.

But having ridden both Roars, I would say SFDK's is a million times better. Unless Roar at SFA gets new trains or some serious retracking, I won't be riding that again.

Great TR, singemfrc!

They need something between Medusa and Cobra in terms of intensity, especially with the number of families with small kids who mostly go there for the animal shows.

I agree, and for adults who are afraid of the "big coasters" but want to try something slightly larger than the kiddie coasters.

^ Well, there's Roar. That would be firmly in the middle of Medusa and Cobra I think, although it is a pretty rough ride.

I think the roughness automatically excludes it from being in the middle. When I went to the park with my coaster-fearing friend, she wouldn't even consider it because of her back problems.

I tried to find a picture of the cable on Superman but I'm finding a complete lack of S:UF photos aside from media day. Next time I go to the park, I'll try and make a point of bringing my camera and snapping a shot of it.

Anyone here going to Fright Fest? If so, please let us know how it is!

Those cables where there before the accident. They are for maintenance, not glorified rescues for poor innocent riders that stall all the... once. You guys are developing conclusions off of nothing but your own observations and guesses. Those cable hoist a spider lift, the same type of man lift that they suspended from a crane to erect the ride. They are commonly used to get to hard to get spots on rides for maintenance needs.

The crane has also been there since the opening of the ride and is not a direct result of the accident, though it's there just in case there is a valley(per OSHA, not the park or manufacturer).

Those cables where there before the accident. They are for maintenance, not glorified rescues for poor innocent riders that stall all the... once. You guys are developing conclusions off of nothing but your own observations and guesses. Those cable hoist a spider lift, the same type of man lift that they suspended from a crane to erect the ride. They are commonly used to get to hard to get spots on rides for maintenance needs.

The crane has also been there since the opening of the ride and is not a direct result of the accident, though it's there just in case there is a valley(per OSHA, not the park or manufacturer).

I believe you, I was actually thinking more along the lines of what you said but it came out wrong. I hadn't noticed the cables until after the incident, wasn't trying to say they were a result of it.

Anyway... we should probably move on.

Has anyone gone to Fright Fest yet? Who's planning on going?

I really want to go check it out since I've never gone. I'm considering going on Sunday, Oct 14th or Saturday, Oct. 20th. Is there a significant crowd difference on Saturdays vs Sundays?

Also... tips or recommendations? I feel like I should know more about Fright Fest but I really know nothing about it. The mazes cost extra money, correct? How much extra? I tried looking on the Fright Fest webpage but it wasn't loading correctly for me.

^I'm not entirely sure about crowds, but I'm guessing that Saturday will be more busy than Sunday. I've never done the nighttime thing, I just go during the day. However, my guess is that Sunday (a school/work night) will have significantly lower crowds than Saturday night. I also checked the website, and all the mazes and such seem to be upcharges. However, you can buy a $15 wristband that gets you unlimited entry to all the upcharge attractions. There are only 2 that do not require an extra fee, and they appear to simply be fright zones...areas of the park that are themed and have scare actors lurking. There are likely people on here that have been and know more about Fright Fest than I do, so they can feel free to correct me.

On a tangent, I plan on going there this coming Sunday during the day to ride for a few hours and process my season pass. If anyone would like to meet up, feel free to send me a PM. I'd be delighted to meet some of you local TPR people!

Just got back from the park, and it was a pretty awesome day. There was barely any people the entire day including at night for all the fright fest stuff. Got to ride almost all the rides some up to three times, and got to go in all the haunted houses. I personally enjoyed all the haunted houses, sure they weren't top notch or anything spectacular but they have gotten a lot better! Massacre Mine has to be done with its completely dark, went on it twice once right when it opened and again closer to closing, the one during closing time was ten times better and made it a really good walk through. Slaughter House was good too, some extra actors would've made it a lot better. Nightmare manor was okay, I remember older versions being better, the problem was that there were to many spots were nothing was going on, and not enough actors. Next Scrapyard was another okay one, I feel like this location has a lot of potential to make a really good walk through, they did have some good scares and good and the chainsaws are always fun. And finally my personal favorite of the night shipwreck of horror, I just loved how they incorporated the shark exhibit into the haunted house, and we got some pretty good scares in this one too. Overall one thing we did notice was that they had a very good amount of really good actors, they made the haunted houses a lot better. We didn't do the scare zones didn't really catch our attention they seemed decent, still prefer the old scare zone that used to be on the path from mansoon falls to the sea lions. Overall it was a very good day at the park, nice weather no lines, and good fright fest!

Like Silperez, I visited the park yesterday as well...though not for the evening festivities. I was there from 12 until 4. The crowds were low...definitely my favorite time to go. I ran straight for Superman and got 10 rides in the span of 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longest the line got was to the bottom of the stairs leading to the station. Later in the day, it was about 2/3 of the way down the first switchback. Medusa, Roar, V2, and Kong were all station waits. While Roar does indeed jackhammer, I still enjoy the ride. I decided to brave Kong and tried the orange train, since someone in this forum said that the orange train is decent. By the bottom of the first drop I regretted that decision. That is some prime space for a nice coaster, I think that thing has to go. It hurts so damned much. Aside from that, it was a great day at the park. 17 laps on various rides over the course of 4 hours (my longest wait being 30 minutes to process my season pass), definitely an efficient day. I had a pleasant coaster hangover afterwards. I look forward to more days like this, especially in December. I hope to meet some of the regular posters in this thread sometime in the future.

I ran straight for Superman and got 10 rides in the span of 1 hour and 10 minutes. The longest the line got was to the bottom of the stairs leading to the station. Later in the day, it was about 2/3 of the way down the first switchback.
Wow wish I could get that..I would definitely marathon that thing!

I decided to brave Kong and tried the orange train, since someone in this forum said that the orange train is decent. By the bottom of the first drop I regretted that decision.
Oh it's still a rough ride, the difference is the orange train is still doable, the yellow train is just a constant fight to not sustain multiple concussions.

^I've found it manageable this season. I sat in the first or second row and braced. Rolercstrluvr was with me and hated it. Guess it's one of those things different people feel different about, but I still wouldn't mind a new coaster there!

Thanks for the FF TR, Sliperez! And thanks scooterdoug for the update! 10 laps on S:UF in an hour sounds awesome.

I'm planning for FF this Sunday. Can't wait!

Also, I just got notified that I won a contest for tickets to SFDK from my college! I already have a 2012 pass, does anyone know if I can credit my prize tickets toward a 2013 pass? Otherwise I'll use them to get some of my new college friends to go! (And maybe sell it to them for the convenient price of a Fright Fest maze wristband? )

Alright people... is there anyone here without a season pass who might visit the park this Sunday? It appears I have more admissions tickets than friends, so if you're interested in going to Fright Fest but don't have a ticket yet, let me know!

If you are not in need of tickets but think you might go to the park on Sunday, let me know in that case too!

^I don't know, I don't think the park needs ether of those, a drop tower wouldn't be to special (unless its some crazy prototype thing), and didn't this park already have a Ferris wheel? And besides, its not even the end of 2012, and someones already talking about what new ride the park should get in the future. So maybe we should just wait and see what SFDK has in store.

Edited by Andrewoplis

The park needs a ferris wheel and a drop tower

No they don't.

So how can I find the fright fest hours?

Fright Fest hours ARE the park hours. Fright Fest is not a separate admission event like Haunt, they have stuff going on all day. Haunted Houses typically open starting at 5. They all have different opening times typically.

The short friday hours are actually a recent addition, last time I looked at the schedule it was only Sat/Sun throughout Fright Fest.

The short Fridays have FF stuff too. They've been doing that since at least 2003. I remember getting out of school and going straight to work for those.