TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

The park has a huge food court with Pizza, Mexican, BBQ, Panda, and most importantly BEER. And previously mentioned Johnny Rockets and that new chicken wing place across from Wave Swinger. The park has some decent food options.

I think the only thing I would like to see when it comes to food is a full service restaurant. I know it was tossed around in the past to have along the lake where the picnic areas are, I think it could do well at the park and if placed well, could be a year around operation. If it had some type of animal exhibit (fish tanks, maybe a dolphin viewing window) it could attract people even when the park is closed.

I don't think they'll remove the Sea Lion Stadium as Shouka just left and SFDK will probably put more of an effort into preserving what is left of the marine life shows. Though, the sea lions might be able to move to the recently re-named Pacific Stadium.

Here is the official press release sent to me from the park:

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Relocates

Shouka, The Killer Whale, to SeaWorld

Popular Marine Mammal Successfully Transported Via Plane This Morning

VALLEJO, Calif. – August 20, 2012 – Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today announced that its beloved killer whale, Shouka, has been relocated to SeaWorld San Diego. The 19-year-old female orca, a long-time and cherished member of the Six Flags Discovery Kingdom family, was safely flown to her new home.

Shouka had recently been living alone after being separated from her companion, a male Atlantic bottlenose dolphin, due to compatibility issues. The park has been actively seeking a suitable companion and determined it would be in Shouka’s best interest to relocate her to SeaWorld San Diego—an ideal new home where she can live with other orcas.

“We have long understood and recognized the need to pair Shouka with a suitable companion as orcas are highly social mammals,” said Michael Muraco, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom animal care director. “While we are pleased about her new environment, it is very difficult for us to say farewell to a beloved animal that has touched millions of people during her life here.”

Since Shouka’s arrival, she has been the most readily recognizable animal at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Born in France, she came to the park from Six Flags Worlds of Adventures in 2004 as part of the Flying Ark, an aircraft that transported fish and other marine mammals from the Cleveland, Ohio park to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Shouka quickly gained a dedicated following that continues to this day.

“We are going to miss Shouka,” said Dale Kaetzel, park president. “She has become a favorite of guests young and old since first arriving at our park. She has touched and inspired millions of people through the killer whale show that demonstrated her intelligence and physical prowess, and educated hundreds of thousands of school kids, sparking their interest and curiosity about this magnificent species.”

Trainers and staff who have worked closest with Shouka are obviously saddened by her departure, but understand the need to put her interests first. “She will be infinitely missed by staff members who have dedicated their lives to her care, the community and all of Northern California,” said Kaetzel. “She is truly irreplaceable, both as an individual animal we have come to love and as a park icon.”

The Shouka Stadium venue will be closed for an interim period while the park explores potential future uses for an exciting new attraction.

Based on that last line it looks like that area may be the focus of 2013 (I'm guessing new show). So it doesn't look like Sea Lion Stadium is going anywhere. Also Sea Lions aren't always in the water. Pacific Stadium is all tanks, it's not designed to accommodate an animal like a Sea Lion that spends most it's time on land.

Your referring to the ski show stadium right? and not one of the other animal shows.

Yeah, Chabot stadium. I just miss the days when there was some kind of show in that stadium.

I do expect to see SFDK keep Pacific Stadium, because like you said, they can move another show there. I do appreciate that most of the Marine World Africa USA stuff still exists. Hopefully they will announce something on August 30.

More then the ski show, I miss the action arena where odin's tiger temple/show is now. That was likely over a decade ago now and I don't think it would be legal to have the tiger's or any animal on a stage hiding flame throwers. the show kinda seemed like a rip on Indiana Jones, but it was enjoyable.

Also, do they even do elephant shows anymore after the oldest elephant died? She was the only one I ever saw them use.

Confirmed

It's bitter sweet. Working at the park I got to be fairly familiar with the animals, even getting to go in to the backstage areas with Shouka. She was always very social. I remember coming in and cleaning the stadium on a day the park was closed and she would follow us around the pool and try to splash us. If you talked to her she would often make noises back.

That said, those of us at the park knew all too well the difficulties of Shouka. It's hard on a whale to be alone and it showed when we had to cancel shows (once for an entire season) because she didn't want to perform. The staff was always great with her, and sure there were a lot of sad people at the park, but I'm very happy Six Flags chose to lose out on the revenue she created in favor of her well being.

That's so touching. I've always wished I could have one-on-one time with a killer whale. They really are very intelligent, social animals. I know this is the best for Shouka, just saddened they couldn't find a companion so she could stay. I figured this was inevitable after hearing about that law, just didn't expect this to happen so soon. I didn't even go to the show last time I was at the park.

The park is going to be so different for me with no whales again and no foreseeable future whales. I've been going to the whale show every year since 1993 when I visited for the first time (when I was two) and fell in love with them. I'm sad to see her go but I am happy for her and it seems she's doing well. I'm glad she's still in California so I can see her, but nothing will be the same as the Marine World whale show. The Marine World show really was one-of-a-kind because of how intimate it felt.... and 3/4 of the time you walked away from the soak zone completely soaked.

I remember coming in and cleaning the stadium on a day the park was closed and she would follow us around the pool and try to splash us. If you talked to her she would often make noises back.

When I read that, the first thing that came to mind was the Southpark episode "Free Willzyx." For those who don't know, in that episode, the boys do some observing the whale after the show when the whale appears to be talking to them (when it was really the announcers in the control room impersonating the whale). Anyway, they boys a 1-on-1 session with the whale when he finds out that Willzyx needs to go to the moon before he dies.

In all seriousness, that sounds pretty neat, sounds like you guys had a connection with her. In the mean time, I have this feeling a high-dive show will make a return in the Shouka Stadium like in the early 2000s.

Also, do they even do elephant shows anymore after the oldest elephant died? She was the only one I ever saw them use.

As far as I know they do. It's been a while since I saw the show, but I'm pretty sure I heard the announcement for the elephant show last time I was at the park.

In the mean time, I have this feeling a high-dive show will make a return in the Shouka Stadium like in the early 2000s.

Dear god... don't even joke like that. Talk about a boring, cheesy, all around awful show that rarely filled a 10th of that stadium. I'd love for the park to really invest in a good show... maybe some type of high quality cirque style show? Or tear the damn thing down and build a multi-launched inverting wooden aquatrax wing rider. Either is good with me.

I'd love for the park to really invest in a good show... maybe some type of high quality cirque style show? Or tear the damn thing down and build a multi-launched inverting wooden aquatrax wing rider. Either is good with me.

OMG. Why can I picture this coaster?

Well, since a multi-launched inverting wooden aquatrax wing rider is out of the budget for 2013, looks like your other guess might not be too far off:

2013 - New Show - Rumor - (8/24/12) With Shouka gone from the park, it seems painfully obvious that the park will attempt to fill that gap in 2013 with a new animal show. According to the latest rumor, the park may try to add a Cirque styled Dolphin show, taking a queue from SeaWorld’s Blue Horizons shows.

From Screamscape.

That actually sounds really nice. Would they relocate some dolphins to Pacific Stadium and do it there? Or just have more shows scheduled in Dolphin Harbor to make up for the loss of the whale show?

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom just posted a new "Guess what where geting?" page for their 2013 attraction. The announcement will be on August 30th.

http://content.sixflags.com/news/discoverykingdom/guess-2013-new-attraction?ic=I01641DF7&gc=G0002662630DF61&utm_source=park-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SFDK&utm_content=2012-08-24

Is it bigger then a bread box? Is it smaller then Rhode Island?

SFDK just posted this on there facebook-

Here's Superman literally swooping in the save the day. Would you rather be saved by Superman, Batman or someone else?

Did hear that?! BATMAN! Its obvious that the park is getting a Batman clone for 2013!

It's getting a "someone else" clone.