TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Trying to remember back at the SFDK Q&A last year, didn't they say that max height can be negotiated with the city or something?

Yes, they did. But I doubt they'd do it any time soon. Sounded like it was an arduous process and plus apparently SFDK has as much problems with complaining neighbors as CGA. Also, they've been doing alright with 150' rides, they have no need to go taller (though it'd be nice).

^Is it August 30th already?!?!? I'm really getting impatient with this.

Back in the day when I was frequenting SFDK, I always felt some sort of drop tower ride would be beneficial. This was before I realized they had an invisible ceiling 150 feet up. After realizing that, I always thought of the tower being partially under ground and calling the ride "Snake Pit" to fit with the whole wildlife theme the park once stuck with. This was just a daydream though.
Whether at this park or any other I like that idea, and I would love to ride that, especially if they could somehow hide the pit from you so it looked like you were going to crash.

Went to SFDK today and it was surprisingly more crowded than I thought it would be. Medusa was holding a 45 min line all day, and the park was only open until 6. Unfortunately, Superman did not open at all...I was really looking forward to riding it.

At the park, fairly good sized crowd and Superman is running, though went down as soon as I got in line, but don't tell the media Ride finally got back up 30 minutes later. Got a couple rides out of it with only a 20-25 min wait . At the station 2 guys made a big scene after they were assigned the third row but walked to the front and refused to move whining that it wasn't fair because they waited an hour (was only 20 minutes). They were asked if they didn't move to their assigned row, they wouldn't be able to ride, but after another attendant stepped in they eventually got their way. Go figure

I have not ridden yet, but I hope to not be denied a row when I request the front.

In some cases, assigned seating can actually be a blessing in disguise. It keeps waits for the front shorter, which is a good thing, assuming you are not denied. Or, if the people assigning seats are as bad as the staff at Carowinds, they may leave rows empty, resulting in the possibility of a re-ride. On I232, I managed to get in five rides in a row while there was a line down the stairs, mainly because seat assigners kept leaving several rows empty. (They let you ride again if your row is empty, or if you can find an empty row. Most parks will let you do this as long as there is no SR line)

They were filling all the rows and always asked for single riders which helps though I think they should just combine the flash pass line and make it a single rider line to make it easier. I kept getting Row 2 all day.

Ohhh Just had a celebrity siting at V2 just now, Guy Fieri and his clan were at the exit.

20120814_153810-1.thumb.jpg.57bd82804be27244b17c0407cf15d56b.jpg

Guy Fieri heading to Superman

20120814_153719-1.thumb.jpg.aec9c0804fe3d7b63698bcf1225daf83.jpg

Guy Fieri looking at V2 go...

^On that note, here's something they posted on their Facebook

189561_10151171464907743_782366672_n.jpg

Look who's on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight! Guy Fieri gives the ride a big thumbs up. Two rides later, he said riding in the back was way crazier than in the front. Guy was at the park with family and friends to celebrate his son Hunter's big 16th birthday. Happy Birthday Hunter!

Guy Fieri agrees with me that row 6 is awesome.

Oh and about the row assignments... good luck. They're strict because it makes everything faster. I've noticed they ask people the number in their party, so groups of 4 are put in rows 2 and 3. If you're a single rider, I think you're more likely to be put in row 4 with another single rider. I think the best chance of getting row 1 is to be a group of 2.

I notice they put the big metal S back on the front of the car

Why would SFDK remove the metal S shield from it in the first place?

They were probably testing the ride with different weights and taking off the Superman symbols was probably an easy way to take extra weight off of the train.

Maybe the train stalled at the top because of the S....

Erm...I highly doubt that, especially since the S has now been returned to the front of the car. If it had been an issue, it would have been removed permanently.

R.C. Is most likely correct in saying that they were testing the train with different weights to see if the ride performance was at all affected by a change in weight.

Does everyone still like Medusa better than Superman??

Having ridden Superman 20 times on the day of the commercial shoot, and having been on Medusa 50+ times, to me they each have their up and downsides. Medusa's a longer ride and has more to offer for a long wait, however Superman is much more intense and has the airtime, hangtime, and strong G's to make up for the shorter ride time.

It's really hard for me to choose which I prefer, so I do hold them about equal in my book.

Ill say this though, the day that I was there the Superman line was pretty long, over an hour..I couldnt convince the rest of my party to wait more than once, so it was kind of a blur..I dont feel like I got a real sense of the ride from that 30 seconds, Id like to ride it a few times more and see.