TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

That's good news if it's running!

I admit, my speculation of an overshot reverse launch was probably a bit silly, should probably really see this thing in action before guessing . Though it would be interesting to see the procedure *if by some really slim 1/100,000,000,000,000..... chance* that happened.

That's good news if it's running!

I admit, my speculation of an overshot reverse launch was probably a bit silly, should probably really see this thing in action before guessing . Though it would be interesting to see the procedure *if by some really slim 1/100,000,000,000,000..... chance* that happened.

There is always a chance of a ride valleying anywhere, so we may very well see it someday. But the likelihood of it being cause by the ride launching to fast is pretty much 0. I'm sure a valley would be pretty easy to take care of up there though. Like what was stated before, that roof is easily accessible so an evac would probably be done within 30mins or so.

Good to hear Superman is back! Just wanted to add one small tidbit...

I was at the park the Thursday before last and I saw Superman roll back. It crested the hill super slow, couldn't make it, and rolled back. A few more launches hit that spot really slow and everyone gasped thinking it would roll back, but it didn't. I never thought it would get stuck, figured it would either roll back or continue forward. Hope this won't happen again but of all the things that could go wrong, this wasn't too bad.

Moving on from the not so exciting stall:

How has the capacity/lines been so far on Superman? I haven't been able to keep up with this thread as much as I would like to, so if it was already mentioned, I apologize.

Honestly, the break downs have been the worst thing with capacity. When it's running okay they churn people through really fast. The employees hustle people out really well. I've been very impressed. It's even better if you're a single rider.

Trying to move on from the "Ultimate Stall" our kind local news ABC 7 posted this earlier:

Today Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo tried to reopen the Superman ride which got stuck last week with people on it. For the first hour things were fine, then park operators had to temporarily close the ride again due to some technical difficulties. No one got stuck on the ride today.
(From their Facebook, found this when at CGA earlier)

It sounds like they just absolutely had to post something about the Superman incident but didn't have quite much to say, thus leading to a completely useless post.

And the full article on how it broke down, probably a more common thing to happen with any ride.

VALLEJO, Calif. (KGO) -- The Superman ride took off Sunday, one week after a dozen passengers were stranded during a malfunction at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Roller coaster enthusiasts hopped on early and enjoyed the g-forces and spirals, but it wasn't long before it malfunctioned again.

The ride was offline for a full week and what should have been a triumphant return of Superman turned out to be a disappointment for some customers.

One customer we spoke to said she didn't want to wait in line again since the ride seemed broken Sunday morning. Another young female said she was glad the park operators stopped to fix it instead of just letting it go and get stuck again.

Within about an hour of the park opening, the Superman Ultimate Flight coaster came to a grinding stop from an issue totally unrelated to last week's episode.

"It came right here and then it just stopped and broke. They brakes went on and it got locked down there at the base and they couldn't get it to the home spot, so we were kind of stuck in our seats, couldn't get the brackets up," said Mike Rocci, a roller coaster rider.

Six Flags personnel describe the ride as cutting edge and the computer systems that run it, extremely sophisticated. But clearly, they continue to have issues after a dozen people got stranded for more than an hour and half last Sunday at the highest point on the ride.

"It was a combination of the launch speed at the time and the weight that stopped the ride. Again a highly unusual event that we don't anticipate recurring," said Six Flags Spokesperson Nancy Chan.

Crews had to use an onsite crane to get water and sunscreen to riders last Sunday. If workers were not able to get the cars to come back down with their own momentum, rescue teams would have used the crane to bring passengers down in small groups. Still, every park customer we talked to on Sunday, still seemed excited to ride the superman coaster, even with the series of problems.

"If it does get stuck up there I hope they bring us some beers or something, you know," said Chris Wafford from Salinas.

Because the Superman ride is so new, the park is required to keep a crane onsite in case there is an emergency and the local fire department is supposed to train on the crane, should there be any emergency. Last week, the fire crews said training with the crane previously really came in handy.

Perhaps they should report on Drop Tower's catch cars stopping about 15 feet above the cabins during a quick glitch earlier at CGA, or people stuck for a few brief moments on the Eagle's Flight sky ride.

^ Our media is JUST so . Coasters break down for certain reasons ALL the time, no one gets hurt, no one dies, it is NORMAL! They just need to let this Stalling incident and anything related go and go back to covering the Chick-Fil-A vs. gays saga.

Totally unessesary story, there was no series of problems. The TWO incidents are seemingly unrelated. That one customer called the lap bar a "bracket"...oh brother. But I do agree, if I ever get stuck on it then they should bring me beer!

Funny how they fail to mention this is a prototype and a new design and as such there will be some things that need to be worked out and that is completely normal.

"Came to a grinding hault"........sheesh!

This kind on nonsense just adds more fuel to the ill informed gp that makes this out to be much worse than it was.

At the park and Superman has been closed all day... The guests are not happy. The worker in front says it will hopefully open tomorrow.

I can confirm this. RoadRunner Express and Boomerang were down too. Though I believe Boomerang reopened later on. It seems whatever happened was quite unexpected as they told us to wait in line and it would open momentarily then a few minutes later told us it would be closed all day. V2 was also closed for a little under an hour cause of something with the wheels. Quite a bad day for SFDK. The best was that RoadRunner Express was closed due to weather. Oh Six Flags!

When you only have 7 coasters and 2 of them are down that's a pretty bad day alright.

Might be old news cause I was watching a recording a couple months old but saw a SFDK commercial that said "Ride world class coasters" and appeared to show video of Goliath at SFMM..I lol'd a bit, especially when at first I thought it was Kong before I went back and paused it

I was later told that it ran fine all day yesterday, but this morning at opening they noticed something wrong with the ride. Not much info but that's all I could gather. Customers were really angry, constantly going to the entrance of the ride an complaining.

It's too bad to see Superman with this much downtime, but it is somewhat of a prototype. SFDK dissapointed a lot of people this summer.

I heard on the local news a while back, that Superman only costed $6 million! I think that's a bargain for the size it is, but the short track length is probably the reason why. Superman does have a shorter length than Pandemonium.

Linky: http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=8719601

(Also, a TPR member is on the news video)

Wow. This story is even less newsworthy than the last one! In fact, doesn't the media have anything better to do? I am pretty sure the crews will be there every single time this thing breaks down.

Last month, I got stuck on I305 on the block brake in the boiling sun for 10 minutes. Where is MY fame? Why am I not being interviewed? It was a very horrific experience to be stuck in the sun, stuck under a bracket. (End sarcasm)

Now, on an unrelated note, it almost seems like it should be filtered to "brackets" instead of "noodles".

Wow. This story is even less newsworthy than the last one! In fact, doesn't the media have anything better to do? I am pretty sure the crews will be there every single time this thing breaks down.

Last month, I got stuck on I305 on the block brake in the boiling sun for 10 minutes. Where is MY fame? Why am I not being interviewed? It was a very horrific experience to be stuck in the sun, stuck under a bracket. (End sarcasm)

Now, on an unrelated note, it almost seems like it should be filtered to "brackets" instead of "noodles".

Actually, I'd say that one was pretty worthy as they're promoting a ride that's just opening, helping spread the word to the public, thus increasing attendance for the park. That's far better than reporting on some nonsense like "Medusa pauses on lift hill in triple digit temp, riders evacuated from 150 feet up."

As far as drop tower rumors, I haven't heard anything other than some rumor on Screamscape about an S&S tower going in. Back in the day when I was frequenting SFDK, I always felt some sort of drop tower ride would be beneficial. This was before I realized they had an invisible ceiling 150 feet up. After realizing that, I always thought of the tower being partially under ground and calling the ride "Snake Pit" to fit with the whole wildlife theme the park once stuck with. This was just a daydream though.

Trying to remember back at the SFDK Q&A last year, didn't they say that max height can be negotiated with the city or something? Though if it's an S&S tower, those shorter towers seem like they can pack more of a punch than their taller counterparts...take a look at Liberty Launch at HW vs Power Tower at CP. CP's Power Tower seems to me that it provides a softer, more floaty ride while Liberty Launch practically ejects you from your seat several times.

Skip to around :35 for lift-off

Skip to around 2:35 for liftoff, don't think you want to watch the whole load/check noodles procedure...

(Apologies for the GP-like video but you get the idea...perhaps someone who's ridden the 2 rides can confirm experiences)

Edited by Angry_Gumball