TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Going to the park tomorrow with my friend Frenchie and her church group!! Rolercstrluvr is gonna be there too! We're gonna try to convince my coaster-fearing friend to ride Medusa. Wish us luck!
That's probably the best coaster to start someone out on at that park. Good luck getting them on Superman

^Segueing off of that...I started myself off on Roar, because I knew "it doesn't go upside down" (and yes, I stated this out loud to someone). Also, I'm pretty sure I was actually MORE scared of Tony Hawk's Big Spin!
Yeah if the person is especially afraid of inversions I would do Roar instead..I prefer Medusa because a lot of people that I know are turned off by rough rides.

^Yup, I love how Medusa is basically the opposite of rough. I couldn't tell you if Roar has declined since the first day I rode it, or if I just wasn't fully attuned to roughness (I remember finding the airtime painful, but that can happen to me even on smooth wooden coasters depending on the lap bars). I barely even knew what airtime was back then!

Yesterday I went to SFDK and the park was PACKED. By the time we made it in, it was already 11:45. My friend and I met up with rolercstrluvr who had just got off Superman. He informed us that it had already broken down several times, and the only reason he wasn't still in line was because he was a single rider. We decided to do some other stuff for a while first.

About midday we wandered toward the butterfly exhibit and all three of us decided to go on Monkey Business! For some reason I'd never gotten around to riding this although I've passed it many times. Just as we're sitting down and getting ready to spin ourselves silly, two little girls join us. I said, "Hey, do you girls like to spin really fast?" "Yeah!" "Really really fast?" "Yeah!" So we went ahead and spun that thing SO FAST. To my surprise, the girls LOVED it!! After we got off the ride, their mother thanked us for giving her daughters a good time. Definitely the highlight of my day! Thinking we should have a group of TPR members see how fast these things can really go.

Okay so...Superman. We left my non-enthusiast friend around 3:00 and got in line. It suffered break down after break down, and by 5:30, it was broken down again. All day employees and managers had been working really hard but I guess the man of steel just didn't want to work. The group I came with was leaving at 6, and I hadn't ridden any coasters all day, so I made the incredibly tough decision to leave Superman for Medusa.

So about my friend... couldn't convince her to do Medusa. I was hoping she'd at least wait with us even though I knew she wouldn't ride, but she refused. Can't say I understand her sentiments. I told her "YOLO!" but she was just too afraid, so rolercstrluvr and I went without her. Around 5:45 when we were standing by the de-gummed wall, I noticed Superman running with people again and was like "FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!" Just my luck.

Overall, very hot and extremely busy day, but I had good company with me so we made the most of it.

IMG_3356.JPG.78110d38c9b403ba1a2a1de3f7971899.JPG

There it is!

IMG_3359.JPG.324490db63e782e2408c93e27c21d8bf.JPG

V2 was not to be had by me today, but others in the group said it had about a 45 minute wait.

IMG_3361.JPG.849afb0116c3eea341a3d714d85d1290.JPG

Roar had a few breakdowns too.

IMG_3362.JPG.33f72ea10d1ab3cbeedf70a2d7af0d02.JPG

I always go to the 1:00 Shouka show!

IMG_3373.JPG.cd7575a14e4ffc1550d2f10ffd513d02.JPG

They've made some changes to the show (namely, more soaking of the audience) and I approve. We got splashed just enough to feel good. After the show, the trainers turned on a hose for anyone who wanted it. It must have been at least 100 outside, so this was very thoughtful of them.

IMG_3378.JPG.12736980d1462e15520df65dc4bab5b5.JPG

Waiting and waiting and waiting

IMG_3381.JPG.875b6aa883eb349827c284c85fc3ce68.JPG

Saw the most epic thing right before this: Superman launching back just as Medusa came through the dive loop. Was totally epic timing, wish I had my camera out.

IMG_3383.JPG.d9956acd93d8ee764afe37deadffd72e.JPG

Parting is such sweet sorrow!! Maybe next time the magic won't be overheated!!

(7/23/12) I’ve got to admit I’ve not heard a peep about this rumor myself yet so I can’t verify the truth behind it, but ThemeParkOverload is reporting to hearing rumors about SFDK looking to add small sized S&S Turbo Drop tower to the park near the new Superman coaster. The height limit around the park area would prevent any normal S&S tower ride from going in, as they typically start at 180-200 feet tall. However S&S does offer the smaller Double Shot tower which packs a whallop in a pint-sized 125 ft package, however Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk already has one of these.

From Screamscape

Not sure how I feel about this yet if this rumor is true. I guess we'll have to wait and see! Thoughts?

What they really need to do is invest in the renewal of the park. Though the newer parts are in decent shape, the older parts could really use an update. The paint is peeling on many of the fences and the bathrooms need to be moved out the trailers. I also think the park could update Shouka Stadium. The cheap temporary light poles and fading mural are really making the park look like a luxury carnival. They also could invest in upgraded enclosures and new shows. SFDK has such a valuable resource (the animals)... they just need to use it more wisely.

Another idea I had is that the fairgrounds across the street are outdated, landlocked, and probably wouldn't mind moving to a larger lot (such as the large lot across the highway.) Maybe before they start their major overhaul, Six Flags can buy the lot and build a Hurricane Harbor. Of course, Six Flags would have to be willing to invest... but with how profitable the park apparently is, maybe Six Flags is ready to spend big for the future.

Just my thoughts of how the park could expand...

It doesn't make sense to get a drop ride for 2013. They got Skyscreamer last year, then Superman this year. I'd be really surprised if they got another thrill ride next year. I'm expecting new animal exhibit, family ride, or improvements on existing structures (like the theater) for 2013.

The last thing I heard is that one of the park's future additions would most likely involve the old theater on the hill. Nothing more than that.

They said they had "plans for the area." Extremely vague, could be next year, could be 5 years from now.

What they really need to do is invest in the renewal of the park. Though the newer parts are in decent shape, the older parts could really use an update. The paint is peeling on many of the fences and the bathrooms need to be moved out the trailers. I also think the park could update Shouka Stadium. The cheap temporary light poles and fading mural are really making the park look like a luxury carnival. They also could invest in upgraded enclosures and new shows. SFDK has such a valuable resource (the animals)... they just need to use it more wisely.

I do agree that Shouka Stadium could use an upgrade and part of me was thinking that's where the talk about moving Shouka to Canada came from. If they completely redid Shouka's tank, where would they put her in the meantime? The best option I think is to move her somewhere else temporarily.

Another idea I had is that the fairgrounds across the street are outdated, landlocked, and probably wouldn't mind moving to a larger lot (such as the large lot across the highway.) Maybe before they start their major overhaul, Six Flags can buy the lot and build a Hurricane Harbor. Of course, Six Flags would have to be willing to invest... but with how profitable the park apparently is, maybe Six Flags is ready to spend big for the future.

I completely agree about a park renewal! SFDK is a nice park, but there are some really trashy looking areas in the park, especially the front. Some ride rehabs would also be very nice *cough* *cough* Roar! *cough* *cough*.

But thing about Hurricane Harbor is, although it is a really cool idea, it would cost both the park and the city a ton of money to do so. I could see the park want to build a water park there, but it going to cost the city quite a bit of money to move the entire fairgounds, even if six flags buys it off of them. Valejo may want to move the fairgounds, but it all comes down to money, an with how the economy is doing, I don't think it would be wise for the city to do so.

Regarding a renewal of the park... What would you call a 16million dollar re-brand of the park in 2007 where they change the name and updates a ton of stuff around the park. Most Six Flags never see a renewal like that, and you want another only 5 years later? I think the park looks fine and they should focus on what has worked for them. When they added Roar, Medusa, and V2 from '99 to '01 the parks had it's highest yearly attendances ever peaking in 2001. But as soon as the park stopped added major attractions those numbers plummeted. Animals are great and create a well rounded day, but the rides are the easiest to sell to most people.

As far as the fairground go, this has been brought up off and on since the park started building rides. I seriously doubt it will happen. Plus that land is owned by the county, which is less inclined to give it up, and not by Vallejo who would directly benefit from the tourism the park brings in.

Just got back from the park today, Thursday. Excellent day! Not very crowded at all, perfect weather and EVERY ride was operating! Yep, even Taz Devil! And are you sitting down for this next part? Ok, good. Roar had TWO trains!! First time in like 3 years I've seen that happen! Got there when the park opened, and headed right over to Superman. Was basically a walk-on the first time, then the 2nd and 3rd times right in a row, wait was only 15 minutes at the most. Excellent ride and employees were VERY efficient at loading/unloading it. Line moved very fast. Roar was pretty smooth (as smooth as Roar can get) and I rode in the front. Kong on the other hand, was NOT. I tried it again for the first time in 3 years because I heard there were new seats. The new seats didn't make any difference. Had to pop some Tylenol after that ride! I'm good now for another three years. And Voodoo was running with a new and improved program! It actually went around and around and around and went for more than 15 seconds! I talked to the ride operator and she said they changed a few things on it recently. It was a good ride! All in all, excellent visit! Park super clean. Employees still doing the stupid High 5 with their hands when you get off the ride though. I wish they had hand sanitzer stations around the park. All the restraints are so nasty dirty and gross.

^^^ I'm glad to hear it was awesome. I need to go up to SFDK and pay my visit. Kong just sucks, I think it takes valuable ride space!

I think I'm the only one that actually likes Kong. It's rough but there's something about it that I just dig. (Other than the eternally non-existent line)