TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Yeah it's kind of funny, all this interest in this ride and many are dying for it to open. It finally starts testing and nobody has taken video of it yet?

Oh trust me, there's plenty of people who have video of it testing, they just haven't posted it on the internet (yet).

I was at the park yesterday and there was no Superman testing. They were doing something with a track connection in the middle of the southern spiral. When I saw Superman, it wasn't as massive as I expected as the pictures make it look much more massive. Also, the non-inverting loop is shaped like a zero rotated 90 degrees rather than HRRR's non-inverting loop which is more circular. Pandemonium used to have this star on the ground next to the enterance, now it is the Superman symbol which looks really good. Superman's logo sign on S:UF looks really amazing. I saw the trains in the station with "g-force jackets" on the seats and water dummies. Superman's spirals have the old Premier track design while the non-inverting loop and heartline roll have the new design. All in all, this looks like a very good addition to SFDK and I hopefully will ride it before the year ends.

Medusa was running really well. I rode the front seat of Roar for the first time of the 2012 season and I see no difference between the 2011 and 2012 seasons of the roughness. They had some good shirt discounts at Sky Supply & Kingdom Market.

I have some pictures that I will combine with my SCBB pictures which I will post a trip report in about a week once I move to San Diego and get my internet connection. Sadly, there will be no Superman train shots as my camera's battery died and also I only saw it through the construction walls, anyways there was nothing really major to see.

For those who want a POV, it probably won't be shown in a long time.

I would be really surprised if Superman would open next week, they have a lot of stuff to still do.

I would be really surprised if Superman would open next week, they have a lot of stuff to still do.

For my personal scheduling reasons, I hope so. I kind of have a feeling they're expecting it to take longer because they still haven't announced a date to the GP. I'm not really sure what still needs to happen except additional testing. Anyone know?

But it'll open when it opens and this just keeps the anticipation strong. I'm still really grateful for this coaster and I'm going to do whatever I can to get there within a day or two of it opening. I've also resolved not to read any reviews or TRs about it until I get a chance to try it for myself. Want to formulate my own opinion about it before I read others' opinions.

For my personal scheduling reasons, I hope so. I kind of have a feeling they're expecting it to take longer because they still haven't announced a date to the GP. I'm not really sure what still needs to happen except additional testing. Anyone know?

People have to understand that more goes into getting a coaster open to the public than just testing...seems like there's several other things on top of the ride testing that still need to be finished before the ride opens.

Edited by EastCoastn07

^^You can read the reviews about it and not have it affect your opinion. I heard nothing but crap and mostly crap about KD's Shockwave and CW's SkyRider respectively, but I had a lot of fun on both of them. Even in the back seat.

People have to understand that more goes into getting a coaster open to the public than just testing...seems like there's several other things on top of the ride testing that still need to be finished before the ride opens.

I agree with EastCoastn07, there was still a lot of concrete work on the enterance and the queue isn't finished yet. There probably is a lot of other things they need to do that us enthusiasts don't know about.

There were running contests on the radio here in Sacramento a few weeks ago where the prize was VIP access on Superman on the opening day (which was June 21) and then a few days before thay, they stopped running the contests and haven't mentioned it since. Now the commercials on the radio just say "Opening Soon". And the Facebook contest where people were going to be in the commercial for the ride has basically disappeared too - no more mention of it.

I doubt the opening is only going to be delayed for a "few days" as their Facebook says.

Maybe they haven't gotten the timing or thrust right yet for the train to make it all the way up the hill without rolling back or going too fast through the top inversion. Or maybe it keeps volleying in the loop.

Who knows...they sure are keeping quiet about it!

I agree with EastCoastn07, there was still a lot of concrete work on the enterance and the queue isn't finished yet. There probably is a lot of other things they need to do that us enthusiasts don't know about.

It's really just the ride that sets the schedule and everything else makes sure it's inline with that. I remember the day before we opened Tony Hawk, walking through the area thinking there is no way everything will be finished(non-ride things like the queue, landscaping, etc), but the crews stayed all night and the following morning the landscapers were finishing up planting the last plants about an hour before we opened. We'll see how it goes, but the park seems confident about the 29th.

From what I've heard is the ride has been testing and runs just fine.

^^You can read the reviews about it and not have it affect your opinion. I heard nothing but crap and mostly crap about KD's Shockwave and CW's SkyRider respectively, but I had a lot of fun on both of them. Even in the back seat.

I know, but it's still hard to formulate your own solid opinion when clouded by the opinions of others. If everyone was like, "It's crap" then I'd be waiting in line for hours going, "I'm waiting hours for something that is potential crap... "

Who knows...they sure are keeping quiet about it!

This is the only thing that confuses me. If they're all set to open next weekend, why aren't they publicizing it yet?

I've never followed a ride opening this closely so maybe this is normal and I've just never noticed. *shrug*

I think every time I've wanted to avoid reading reviews for a new ride, I've given in pretty quickly (though I usually hold off on watching videos for rides on my short-term agenda to visit). There's still a lot that can only be conveyed through personal experience, plus there's no telling how closely my opinions will match up with others' (I could be word-for-word in line with the majority, or end up feeling like the only person who disagrees, or anything in between).

Sometimes I'll try to limit the number of reviews I read before a trip, though, and I can certainly understand trying to avoid them completely.

I think every time I've wanted to avoid reading reviews for a new ride, I've given in pretty quickly (though I usually hold off on watching videos for rides on my short-term agenda to visit). There's still a lot that can only be conveyed through personal experience, plus there's no telling how closely my opinions will match up with others' (I could be word-for-word in line with the majority, or end up feeling like the only person who disagrees, or anything in between).

Sometimes I'll try to limit the number of reviews I read before a trip, though, and I can certainly understand trying to avoid them completely.

I do the same, for example I avoided all Transformers POVs before I rode. I'm glad I did because the experience was amazing and fun to no expect what was going to happen. With coaster I'm less worried about. I'll read reviews and watch POVs because with those you generally know the layout and it's all about the ride at that point.

I think it depends too on how long you're planning to visit the coaster from the time it opens. I'm planning to visit on the 30th and others will ride it on the 28th or 29th, so I just have to avoid this thread for two days... if it were like a month, it'd be too hard to worry about. Besides... I think some of the lure of going opening weekend is to be a little surprised about what part of the coaster is the best.

^Good point. Another thing I've noticed is that, with all the coasters out there to keep track of, I actually find myself forgetting a lot of stuff about some rides, even things I'd once been well aware of. That can lead to some rather surprising surprises, so to speak.

Anyway, Superman is looking sexy (and pretty darn unique). Hopefully it does open sooner rather than later.

hello everybody! I'm new here, and this being my first post, I thought I'd make it a big one... I bring you the first test video of Superman's Ultimate Flight!

LINK REMOVED

ADMIN EDIT: While we appreciate your enthusiasm to share, we don't allow the posting of links to external sites until you have made at least 50 legitimate posts on the forums, as found in our Terms of Service.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I was just going to share (probably the same) a link of the ride testing until I noticed the above. Debating whether to share or not....I'll be nice since I'll just use the youtube embed thing and ditch any other hoops and hurdles.

Sorry if this kind of defeated the purpose of the above post edit, you can remove the link (or I can) if need be.

About the ride, I'm going to laugh if it happens to 'overshoot' the first reverse launch and valley at the bottom of that non-inverting loop Also, the barrel roll seems to happen pretty quick. Still looks fun nonetheless but I anticipated more of a crawl through it. Anyone know why that brake fin isn't present just before the barrel roll?

I do wonder how they control the possibility of an overshoot when the train is going backwards towards the top of the non-inverting loop to gain the momentum for the trip up the first vertical spiral tower. Is there a brake, or launch component, near the top of the loop? It makes me wonder if that testing video was specifically testing just for the purpose of where the limit is before an overshoot occurs, or if that's how it will normally operate. I'm sure it's all figured out by the engineers, but it does still make you go, "Hmmm...". In any case, I still look forward to riding it soon.

I'm sure with a ride of this nature that they have some sort of failsafe. It probably trims the speed of the vehicle as it's going through the launch section to prevent this, and I have to assume that they will dial in a "never exceed" speed for that backwards launch. I know that some Premier rides weigh their trains prior to launch, and I'd imagine that this would have it too.

But you never know, it could happen.