TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

This is my home park but I haven't been for quite a while. I've actually never ridden the spinning ride they used to have and Didn't realize this new ride is actually replacing it.

I can't help but think that the spinning ride was actually a much better fit for this park. I've never really cared for these impulse type coasters though.

How do you know you won't like it if you haven't been on it yet?

I understand your argument, but I have eyes and have ridden many a coaster and nothing about this really grabs my interest and makes me want to go there, even though I haven't gone since before 07 (when they changed the name).

I understand your argument, but I have eyes and have ridden many a coaster and nothing about this really grabs my interest and makes me want to go there, even though I haven't gone since before 07 (when they changed the name).

Then don't go, problem solved. Less people in line for those of use who want to ride.

150 foot tall barrel roll? lap bars?

Those two things alone would either make most people go cower in the corner or scramble for the entrance.

This is my home park but I haven't been for quite a while. I've actually never ridden the spinning ride they used to have and Didn't realize this new ride is actually replacing it.

I can't help but think that the spinning ride was actually a much better fit for this park. I've never really cared for these impulse type coasters though.

So you prefer a 53' Gerstlauer spinning family coaster to a 150' one of a kind Premier launching high-thrilling coaster?

So has anyone actually seen SUperman testing? Maybe they are going to use the people for the commercial as water dummies!

I haven't seen it but people I know at the park said it's been testing a lot. From what I hear they had people there until almost 4am yesterday running it, so it sounds like they are doing what needs to be done to get it ready in time.

Fair enough.

Honestly, that does not surprise me...not that I'm trying to badmouth anything but if it's just starting the testing phase, requiring a bit more time to test makes sense to me. When it comes to testing, doesn't the ride have to do X amount of cycles before the state can give the OK to open to the public?

Honestly, that does not surprise me...not that I'm trying to badmouth anything but if it's just starting the testing phase, requiring a bit more time to test makes sense to me. When it comes to testing, doesn't the ride have to do X amount of cycles before the state can give the OK to open to the public?

It's not cut and dry that it has to do X number cycles and it's good to go. But more it does have to meet certain criteria. Tony Hawk took almost no time at all to get ready once it started testing full force, the thing that took forever was the fine tuning to get it to a point where it could continuously run cycles.

At least it isn't a major delay. Hope it doesn't make me have to choose between it and Lex's media day.

Haha...which probably means Drop Of Doom will open a week or two later as well. I'm not sure why they wouldn't choose this date to begin with, just to be on the safe side. I can't be disappointed as I saw this coming as soon as the 22nd date was announced. lol

Bad news, just got an email, the ride's opening has been postponed. Media day is now on the 29th, and I assume the ride will either open later that day or on the 30th.

*Sigh* Can't say I'm surprised. Though the increase in construction speed was admirable, there really wasn't any way to have it done by this weekend. I'm glad that I live nearby. I feel bad for any out-of-towner who planned a trip here around the original opening date (like what happened to me in 2007 with Maverick at Cedar Point).

Edited by scooterdoug

^Yeah, it can be easy enough to say "always plan to go later than the expected opening date," but in practice trip planning doesn't always work out that way. I've actually scheduled a trip before knowing an opening date once, and felt so relieved when it turned out to be on the day I'd be at the park (and, in fact, did open then without trouble).

I'm not at all surprised about this delay, either.

^^You had very good fortune with your unplanned opening date. I also agree wholeheartedly that even the most careful and meticulous trip planning doesn't always work out as intended. I remember planning my May 2007 Cedar Point trip very excited to ride Maverick. I even planned the trip for about 2 weeks after the park opened, to be prepared for any possible delays. I remember watching test trains go through the infamous in-line twist, silently cursing my bad luck. So, I can definitely feel for anyone who planned a trip out here and is now let down.

Hey all! Here’s an update on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight … it’s taking some extra time to get this one-of-a-kind coaster ready to rock and roll, so we’re delayed by just a few days. Keep checking with us, we’ll let you know as soon as possible! Are you ready yet?

This was posted today on their Facebook page. Are they just waiting to announce the date change we already know, or do you think they're unsure it'll even be open by the 29th/30th?