TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

If that support was not attached at one end that end would be free to move and would as the coaster runs its course. Move it around enough and bolts can fail at the other end leading to a SERIOUS safety hazard. Even if the support for the remaining structure would not be affected there is still the possibility of something falling. I am no engineer either but it would seem that would be extremely dangerous and in this state if something were to happen as a result there would be plenty of lawsuits. That support is there for a reason and is supposed to be connected at both ends ( which they have done) otherwise it would not be there at all.

That's not the point I was making in my post. That column as it currently stands is holding very little if any of the static load currently on the structure. Right now most of the structure is being supported by the vertical columns. This would be a completely different point if it were a vertical column not connected and they continued building as vertical columns are fundamental to holding the structure because of this little thing called gravity. However, the diagonal columns right now have little purpose. They are primarily there to distribute the dynamic load that will be acting on the structure when they run the train over it. Not having it connected as they build the structure is not risky at all for this very reason. The iron workers and engineers working on this project know what they are doing, and they wouldn't have continued building if they thought this was an issue, but its not. It has since been fixed so this really doesn't even matter anymore though.

Let's let it go guys. The support is attached and the ride is opening for media and SP previews on the 22nd, public on the 23rd. Let's all rejoice that we are almost there.

Speaking of being almost there, anyone been around the park and seen it test yet? I assume it's got to have started already or start within the next day or 2. I'm interested to see the speed through the barrel roll since the brake before it in the concept video isn't actually on the ride.

If that support was not attached at one end that end would be free to move and would as the coaster runs its course. Move it around enough and bolts can fail at the other end leading to a SERIOUS safety hazard. Even if the support for the remaining structure would not be affected there is still the possibility of something falling. I am no engineer either but it would seem that would be extremely dangerous and in this state if something were to happen as a result there would be plenty of lawsuits. That support is there for a reason and is supposed to be connected at both ends ( which they have done) otherwise it would not be there at all.

That's not the point I was making in my post. That column as it currently stands is holding very little if any of the static load currently on the structure. Right now most of the structure is being supported by the vertical columns. This would be a completely different point if it were a vertical column not connected and they continued building as vertical columns are fundamental to holding the structure because of this little thing called gravity. However, the diagonal columns right now have little purpose. They are primarily there to distribute the dynamic load that will be acting on the structure when they run the train over it. Not having it connected as they build the structure is not risky at all for this very reason. The iron workers and engineers working on this project know what they are doing, and they wouldn't have continued building if they thought this was an issue, but its not. It has since been fixed so this really doesn't even matter anymore though.

My comment a few posts back is applicable to everyone.

STOP COMMENTING IN THE SUPPORT. IT IS NOW CONNECTED. MOVE ON!

Speaking of being almost there, anyone been around the park and seen it test yet? I assume it's got to have started already or start within the next day or 2. I'm interested to see the speed through the barrel roll since the brake before it in the concept video isn't actually on the ride.

No, testing hasn't started yet. They're still working on the structure, which I'm assuming is to torque all the bolts.

^Yeah pretty much. When you go into the park, I think you head to explorers outpost and get a wrist band. But season pass day always seems to have really long lines, so just getting to the park early would work out better IMO.

Alright sounds good! Thank you!

^^Yeah I've been wondering the same thing! Do they have someone at the entrance to the ride checking wristbands? Does it stay pretty much just season passholders or do quite a few non-passholders trickle through?

Since SFDK is known for its high amount of season pass sales, I have a feeling lines that day won't be much better than the "official" opening.

Since SFDK is known for its high amount of season pass sales, I have a feeling lines that day won't be much better than the "official" opening.

I agree. Even if I could go to the Season Pass Preview day, I wouldn't (I loathe long lines). I'm just going to go the Sunday after and get there early, hopefully being one of the first people on the ride. I don't feel a burning desire to ride it on it's first day. Personally, I look forward to Wintertime in the Park, as it's a ghost town then. One of the perks of being a local.

Yeah, in years past SFDK was either 2nd (behind SFGAdv) or 3rd (Behind SFGAdv and SFMM) in SP sales. They typically do 200,000+ so if people are descending on the park for a special preview, it could be busier than a normal day.

I assume they will just close off the plaza where the construction fences currently are and check wristbands, or they will check at the portal. Usually the park is pretty good about only letting the people that are supposed to be there in. I wouldn't expect the preview to have small lines though. People are anxious, I've heard tons of guests talking about it around the park whenever I'm there. They really want to ride.

I just sent in my "application" for it as well. Would be pretty cool. It's amazing how stupid some people are though. Their Facebook page is crawling with idiots that don't know how to "message" them. They don't realize you have to be on the desktop version. It's only been like that forever!

I just sent in my "application" for it as well. Would be pretty cool. It's amazing how stupid some people are though. Their Facebook page is crawling with idiots that don't know how to "message" them. They don't realize you have to be on the desktop version. It's only been like that forever!

Those are some amazing comments. I like the gal that wants to be in the commercial but not ride the coaster.

Good luck Joey, I will be there the following day!

Good luck to all of you who applied for the commercial shoot! Even if I was free that day, I don't think they'd pick me.

Why? That's an odd thing to post. Unless, of course, you're assuming that your bizarre forum picture would be held against you...then, yes, I'm in agreement with the park for not wanting to include you

Will be interesting to hear how the test runs go, I assume that if there are no major problems that they can crank through the minimum number of mandated cycles day and night, right?

^Yeah I was kinda frustrated at the time but I shouldn't be because I work that day anyway. I break these rules:

Attire: Bright, solid colored shirts. No logos on shirts, no visible tattoos or piercings. Please dress in spring or summer attire. We would like to capture guests in short sleeves.

I have tattoos and piercings; I could take the piercings out but to cover up the tattoos I'd have to wear a long-sleeved shirt and jeans. I don't mind it, do it all the time, but since they took the time to mention it, they'd deny me for those reasons. So it means I can never do anything like this as long as the designation is "spring or summer attire."

Good thing I don't plan on going to this maybe because I live in NYC, I have 10 visible facial piercings, and it's too much work to take them all out just to ride a ride... and 2 visible tattoos on my wrists.

And when I get my tear drop microdermals, i can't take them out at all because they're embedded in your skin, guess no commercial shoots for me, if they're all like that.