TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

As long as your cast is below the knee or elbow you should be fine... you might just be required to sit on the side of the car that your cast is on.. Example.. if you cast is on the right arm below the elbow then you sit on the far right seat of the train. Some rides may require that you are able to grip with one or both hands.

I may or may not go to SFDK on Saturday. It looks like the high temp will be in the upper 70s. Any tips for avoiding possible crowds?

I was there on a Saturday in April and it was fairly crowded but not too bad. This is what I'd suggest:

Get there just about opening and go to Medusa first. You want to beat the crowd that will be there within 15-30 minutes. Try Kong 2nd or else wait until later in the day. You could try Sky Screamer at this time too. Then, head over to V2/Roar and see how those are... V2 is a lot shorter wait than Roar. If Roar is only running one train, I wouldn't attempt unless the line is really short.

Midday see the shows and check out the animals, get lunch, and try the flat rides. VooDoo never has much of a wait, Tazmanian's line (if it's open) goes really quickly even if there's a lot of people. If it's hot, the lines for the water rides will probably be hideous but you can always go to the Shouka show and sit in the splash zone to cool off.

After about 5 or 6:00 (depending on what time closing is) Medusa and the other coasters have almost walk-on lines. I think most families start trickling out about that time so the crowd thins out a lot. If you don't ride Medusa shortly after opening, I would advise waiting until this time.

If you want to try the water rides, wait until late-afternoon because it starts getting colder and people don't want to ride them. The lines will be really short, but the water won't feel as nice as it would arounnd 1:00 pm when lines are longest. Your call.

I was hoping to ride my first Vekoma Boomerang. When should I attempt it - after Kong?

I was hoping to ride my first Vekoma Boomerang. When should I attempt it - after Kong?

If it's open, Boomerang usually has a very slow line. The later in the day, the emptier that part of the park gets. Since you've never ridden a Boomerang before and want the credit, it might be a good idea to check after riding Kong since [from my experiences] Boomerang has been known to close down unexpectedly for maintenance. I don't think the wait should be too bad earlier in the day, but you'd miss your chance of trying Roar in the morning without a much longer wait.

I don't think the layout of SFDK is too complicated, but it's always a good idea to study a map so you can quickly get where you need. If you make it there before opening, you can go in the park but only as far as the main courtyard. To the right of the dolphin viewing area is the way to Oasis Plaza (Medusa and Kong) and everyone will be waiting there. If you go straight to Medusa as soon as the park opens, you can be be one of the first few trains. If you have a backpack or any loose articles and didn't buy a day 1ocker, have $1 ready to get one by Medusa quickly. Back in April with moderate crowds, I was able to put my stuff in a 1ocker and still get in line for the 3rd train of the day.

Ok, thanks! It looks like I should be good to go, its soft and below my elbow. Yay for getting on coasters since December!

I'd still call or something ahead of time. Last time I was at the park we witnessed the ride ops let a girl with a leg cast up the elevator on Medusa, tell her it's okay to ride, let her and all her friends sit down in the front, then tell them 30 seconds later she couldn't ride because of her cast. It wouldn't hurt to double check. It was unclear to me if this was because the cast was a little bulky, or because of a new policy change prohibiting any casts.

Ok, thanks! It looks like I should be good to go, its soft and below my elbow. Yay for getting on coasters since December!

I'd still call or something ahead of time. Last time I was at the park we witnessed the ride ops let a girl with a leg cast up the elevator on Medusa, tell her it's okay to ride, let her and all her friends sit down in the front, then tell them 30 seconds later she couldn't ride because of her cast. It wouldn't hurt to double check. It was unclear to me if this was because the cast was a little bulky, or because of a new policy change prohibiting any casts.

Yeah, SFDK has very strict rules on casts now. If I remember correctly, there are absolutely no hard plaster casts, no molter where they are or how big they are. If it's just a brace, I'm sure you could get away with it, but I would definitely call first.

Well just called the park and they said I can't go on roller coasters. But I can go on water rides even though I can't get the brace wet. Aw well maybe next time, plus Superman will be open by next time. Thanks guys for the help!

You were very wise to call the park and check ahead of time.

Well just called the park and they said I can't go on roller coasters. But I can go on water rides even though I can't get the brace wet. Aw well maybe next time, plus Superman will be open by next time. Thanks guys for the help!

Most people would have probably assumed they could ride and found differently at the park, only to be upset and completely oblivious to their safety and park policies...so kudos for doing your homework and finding out ahead of time and being bummed now rather than being 'surprised' and bummed at the park knowing you can't ride anything major/intense.

Looking at the completed superman, i thought they would've corrected the support mistake. Very risky to finish it like that.

First picture from newsplusnotes, and the second from Noobitizer on this forum.

How exactly is that risky? I'm not sure how much experience you have as an engineer/iron worker, but with a structure that beefy with no dynamic load acting on it, having one flange not connected really isn't a risk at all. Not to mention that this piece in question is merely there for additional support for the load being put on the vertical columns. I just can't see how this was a risk at all, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If that support was not attached at one end that end would be free to move and would as the coaster runs its course. Move it around enough and bolts can fail at the other end leading to a SERIOUS safety hazard. Even if the support for the remaining structure would not be affected there is still the possibility of something falling. I am no engineer either but it would seem that would be extremely dangerous and in this state if something were to happen as a result there would be plenty of lawsuits. That support is there for a reason and is supposed to be connected at both ends ( which they have done) otherwise it would not be there at all.

How exactly is that risky? I'm not sure how much experience you have as an engineer/iron worker, but with a structure that beefy with no dynamic load acting on it, having one flange not connected really isn't a risk at all. Not to mention that this piece in question is merely there for additional support for the load being put on the vertical columns. I just can't see how this was a risk at all, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to feel free to tell you you're right.

If that support was not attached at one end that end would be free to move and would as the coaster runs its course. Move it around enough and bolts can fail at the other end leading to a SERIOUS safety hazard. Even if the support for the remaining structure would not be affected there is still the possibility of something falling. I am no engineer either but it would seem that would be extremely dangerous and in this state if something were to happen as a result there would be plenty of lawsuits. That support is there for a reason and is supposed to be connected at both ends ( which they have done) otherwise it would not be there at all.

Maybe if the ride was running... but at that point it wasn't. The support has been modified to fit and everything is all rainbows and sunshine now. It is NOT dangerous to finish construction and fix it later as this not a load bearing support but more of a secondary reinforcement, which is what EastCoastn07 said.

^No, I saw no fire.

TR: Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Part 1: Trip Report (Pics in Part 2)

My pal went off again with his family, this time to SFDK in Vallejo. He'll take it from here.

We went on an epic trip to Discovery Kingdom, except for my brother who was at a LAN party playing games like World of Warcraft, Minecraft, Diablo III, and the D&D spoof Munchkin. So our group was me, my twin Jacob, and my parents.

I tried following your guys' advice, but we got to the park late (opening was 10:30 and we didn't deposit our backpack at the Medusa locker until 11:01) and thus a 20-minute line or so formed at Medusa. We still rode it (train 1, row 3, seat 2 for me!) and had fun. I enjoyed the smoothness and knew others might not meet that criteria. The ride made my list of favorites.

Next was Kong (the troubled yellow train, row 6, right seat). I had always wanted to try an SLC, so we rode it. The wait would have been about 15 minutes if not for a kid getting stuck in his seat. After removing the seat back and trying that, the poor guy was still stuck there. They eventually had to get in a man with a suit and tie and the boy was finally freed (certainly giving a new meaning to its tagline "There is No Escape"!), making us wait almost an hour. And I know now why the ride has its reputation; I remarked upon exit, "I lost a few IQ points there!"

We promptly headed to Johnny Rocket(')s right near the Tazmanian Devil and Boomerang. A woman exiting as we were about to order mentioned her 30-minute wait for food. This proved true as after ordering, I was able to sneak in a ride on Boomerang with time to spare (row 1, right seat). My brother was scared (he fears rides that go backwards) and my parents were occupied with waiting for food, so I rode alone. There were only 2 or 3 trains of waiting, even for the front, and this was actually among my favorites ever! Yes, I am now a Boomerang fan!

The food arrived a few minutes after I got back to the table post-Boomerang. It was like In-n-Out, but not as good and with a longer line. The burger was meh, but the onion rings were delicious.

Our next attraction was the walrus exhibit. In the queue for either Medusa or Kong, there was footage of a walrus doing sit-ups and other funny things. We arrived at 1:45 for the 2:00 training session, except at the session the walrus did not want to come out and play. So we were on to our next adventure.

With my dad resting and reducing back pain by sitting down near the walruses, the three of us remaining rode Roar (third-to-last row of unknown train, left seat) - mistake? I thought it had been better last time, but if it was it has certainly declined in 5 years. It seemed even rougher than Kong and had some pretty bad spots. One of the day's worst rides. However, some segments in the queue and ride gave me a good view of Superman's construction. SUF was looking pretty epic and I saw few parts in my view that looked incomplete.

The last (but definitely not least) was V2: Vertical Velocity (row 1, right seat). The other coasters didn't scare me beforehand; this one did. Aside from California Screamin', it was my first launched coaster and maybe in that respect my first Intamin. I lowered the harness and was still scared but slightly comforted by its security. We got a ride op who loved to play games with passengers. She asked the usual "Are you ready?", and then noticed my fear among others'. She encouraged us to inhale deeply, and as soon as I was done we were off. I loved how truly dangerous it felt when I was hanging simultaneously upside-down and off to the track's side. I also got some sick airtime on the back spike, even sans holding brake. That one was among my favorites as well.

Overall, I had a nice day. Four new credits are now in my possession, elevating my count to a measly 32.

Pictures in part 2.

^Glad you had a great trip! That's strange you found Roar rougher than Kong. When I went earlier this year, I thought Kong was literally on KILL MODE it was so rough. Roar has gotten rougher over the years but I think it's still an enjoyable ride.

TBH I haven't ridden Boomerang in a few years because it's probably my least-favorite coaster at SFDK and sometimes it can be pretty rough as well. I agree with you that V2 is a really great coaster! It's also nice that V2 rarely has long lines.

Anyone at the park today, was there a fire or something close by around 5:15-5:30? I'm about 2 miles away and see lots of white smoke coming up from that general direction.

The only thing I can find so far is a grass fire near 580 yesterday in Oakland.

^Sure it's fine if you're never going to run the ride but it can't be like that with a heavy coaster train running the track moving things around.

The support is already fixed. Are you telling me you thought the park was actually going to open it with just a strap holding the support in place? This is a ridiculous argument that everyone just needs to STFU about. The park was smart, they didn't stop construction and delay the ride while they waited to modify a support that wasn't completely needed yet.

I'm done.

^Sure it's fine if you're never going to run the ride but it can't be like that with a heavy coaster train running the track moving things around.

The support is already fixed. Are you telling me you thought the park was actually going to open it with just a strap holding the support in place? This is a ridiculous argument that everyone just needs to STFU about. The park was smart, they didn't stop construction and delay the ride while they waited to modify a support that wasn't completely needed yet.

I'm done.

I never said I thought the park would open and run the ride like that.... where exactly did you see those words?

I'm done.

I never said I thought the park would open and run the ride like that.... where exactly did you see those words?

Double0Kevin - if you feel a need to respond, please do it through PM with Tmcdllr. There is no need for any more discussion/arguments. It is very clear that you that said the support was not load bearing and therefore not a danger during the construction process. Tmcdllr thought it was dangerous to have any support attached with only a "strap". The point is now moot as it is now attached, please move on.

^Nice pic!

So I went to IHOP (the one that is across the street from Great America) this morning and on the way there on highway 101 near the San Jose airport (take 85 to 101 and go towards Great America Parkway between the airport and the next exit Northbound) there is this 'Jumbotron' like billboard near the power plant that shows random advertising and one of the ads was for this ride and it just simply said 'opening soon'. Funny, this ad was for SFDK and their competitor is only one or two exits away.

^ I think I saw the same ad on a similar billboard (the kind that change) as I was getting off the bay bridge heading home from San Francisco yesterday. Cool to see the park putting ads up. I see the commercials all the time during Giants games on TV.