TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^Love the 3rd photo!

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/events/SeasonPassPreviewJune2012.aspx

Appears this page no longer exists - maybe the date has been changed?

I hope so!! I hope it's changed to a date I can make!

The page also says this...

The site has recently undergone a major reconstruction, so that might explain why you got this page instead.

But, if you go to the SFDK page through the SF site, SFDK S:UF it says opening soon, and at the bottom says opening late spring 2012. So maybe they have run into an issue and need to push back the date, OR, maybe they are a little ahead of schedule and may open it sooner.... hmm.

I don't know for certain, but it appeared as if one of the horizontal supports had to be modified. That may account for the primer on the ends of it. I've often wondered just how much leeway is designed into the support structures of coasters and how much flex can be coaxed out the neighboring supports to accomodate one that doesn't fit just perfectly. Even in this day and age of computer designed parts and tight tolerances it still amazes me that these coasters fit together as well as they do.

I find it amazing that they can turn a mass of steel and several hundred parts into an extremely enjoyable ride. And some of these ride structures, like recent really tall Intamin coasters, look like a work of art in themselves. I think the coolest looking ones are the lifts, top hats, and airtime hills that have no supports under the middle or tall section of track. You look at that and think "how does that not fall apart?" Then there are the ride vehicles..... oh my!

This gives me an idea for a new thread. "Most beautiful roller coaster elements". Do you think it would take off?

I think it could easily be filled up with many, many pictures as there are so many different rides, elements, and structures, it would almost be never ending.

Wow! This impacted the skyline by a lot. That skyline image makes Superman look rather similar to Zonga as it's non-inverting loop looks like Zonga's "double loop" and the barrel roll portion will be like the top of Zonga's lift. Of course, Superman is much taller but I was surprised by how similar it looks like Zonga from far away.

Looks like it just need the barrel roll, and this thing will be ready for testing considering most of the electrical should be or almost finished. The Superman logo should be going in soon, right?

These photos were taken yesterday. When I left they had 3 (maybe 4) pieces to go and they were prepping one for that night so today they just had to put up the two(or 3) pieces to form the barrel roll. It was rainy and windy in the bay area today so they have not put them up but tomorrow's weather looks good. As far as the shield, I saw no trace of it, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I imagine they could put that up whenever and the ride doesn't need to wait to to test.

I'de imagine testing would start next week(assuming the electrical work is where we all hope it is), there is still a lot of scaffolding around the launch tunnel as they are finishing it up, I doubt that will be down before the weekend but here's hoping.

This is looking pretty amazing and definitely a unique standout coaster for the Bay Area. The non inverting loop and the blue complex supports remind me a lot of when Zonga sat there. Yes, I still miss Zonga, as much as not many people really liked it (and the problems that ride seemed to have been plagued with).