TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Wow, look at that thing sway. Do the other V2s sway that noticeably? I've never seen Wicked Twister move that much, but it also had the extra support installed on each spike while the other impulses didn't.

Wicked twister still moves plenty, especially the back spike. They even took it down (the rear spike, not the ride) in 2008 to refurbish the track, and every single impulse in the country has had additional support added to the spikes.

As for the wheel covers, Intamin wheels are notorious for shredding, and violently. The impulse coasters do something a little different than their upright counter parts. Impulse wheels tend to get spiderweb cracks that foreshadow the wheels shedding their eurethane (sp?) skin. Wheel covers made the issue impossible to detect early and they blew their wheels a lot. This is also the likely reason the covers looked so ratty inside. Those bits of wheel mean serious business when they fly off. No wheel covers means no wheels blown if things are well monitored. A regular operating crew can notice the issue and get maintenance on it before its too late.

I'm actually pretty scare about superman. I felt like I almost fell out of Goliath (SFMM) after the brake run on that slow left banked hill. If superman had restraints like Goliath at it does that twist slowly I think I'm done for.

There are 1,000 things in the world you have to be more worried about than roller coasters. They are amazingly safe. A walk in a San Francisco alley is probably 1,000x more dangerous than riding a roller coaster. From what I know, I believe SFDK had no serious incidents on their roller coasters ever. Also, 90% of incidents are caused by total morons like those 2 kids who jumped off a log on Logger's Run (CGA) or the person who climbed the fence and got struck by Top Gun (CGA).

smooth i.e. Green Lantern (SFMM)

I think this is the only time I will ever hear the words "Smooth" and "Green Lantern" in the same sentence. Out of all seriousness, did you ride Apocalypse at all? just curious as to how you felt with their lap bar system in comparison due to the ride's major airtime(s).

Is it just me, or is V2 a complete eyesore? The way it just crawls up that 35 degree twisty spike just gets on my nerves...can't say it's much of a thrilling ride either. Hopefully this new attraction will motivate Discovery Kingdom into making some heavy modifications...the drab parking lot underneath Medusa, removing or modifying the most painful SLC in existence, and of course making the pathways less of a maze and more of a...you know...path.

On the contrary V2 is actually pretty well integrated into the park. It interacts quite nicely with the entrance area. I actually like the ride and many will probably agree that it is the best impulse out there.

Also much of the Medusa Parking Lot got torn up when they put in Sky Screamer, it's really not that bad.

Kong is Kong, and the park did say that once the trains on it reach the end of their life span that they would look into new options. (aka Vest Trains)

The path setup was from before the park was an amusement park, when the focus was more on a zoo.

Is it just me, or is V2 a complete eyesore?

It might be just you. But on a quasi-related note, back when I knew next to nothing about coasters, I thought it looked like part of a massive full-circuit ride under construction.

Kong is Kong, and the park did say that once the trains on it reach the end of their life span that they would look into new options. (aka Vest Trains)

One can only hope that happens soon (even if the ride will still be jerky and forgettable).

Trust us, you're actually far safer riding that coaster than you are taking a walk outside across that parking lot or that drive you took to get to the park.

Or using the restroom at the gas station just a few blocks up the road. I am not used to the city.

Did anyone notice the video bragging about the 185 ft. back spike? I still don't know how SFMW thought they could hide this from the county, especially if they were bragging about it!

The city knew the ride's height from the get go. The story I've always heard was that it was built tall off of a technicality that was later proven not to apply so they had to modify. The reason they promoted it as 150ft was more for the neighbors to avoid complaints, not to hide from the city. People caught on that it was 186ft almost immediately.

For some reason I was under the impression the park tried to "hide" it from the county and eventually the county "noticed" the difference and told them to change it, but your explanation makes a lot more sense.

Pretty sure I'll STILL skip the "whiplash machine" even if they explore other options.

Is it just me, or is V2 a complete eyesore? The way it just crawls up that 35 degree twisty spike just gets on my nerves...can't say it's much of a thrilling ride either. Hopefully this new attraction will motivate Discovery Kingdom into making some heavy modifications...the drab parking lot underneath Medusa, removing or modifying the most painful SLC in existence, and of course making the pathways less of a maze and more of a...you know...path.

So much wrong with this. Making a modification to a coaster is expensive and very hard to advertise or make any money off of unless it's a huge mod that promises something new like NTAG. The V2 mod was in excess of a 1 million and attendance plummeted from '01 to '02. V2 is an exciting ride and well liked by most who ride. There is no reason to modify it.

As for Kong... Obviously you haven't been on many SLCs, and while Kong is a piece of crap, it's easily the best SLC I've been on. It's also well liked by the GP, which is where money comes from. The park has no reason to modify or remove it other than maybe new trains eventually.

Finally, Medusa's parking lot. I agree that it's hideous, but people still love the ride so there is no reason for the park to worry about it.

I've never ridden a Premier coaster before so I'm not sure if the noodles are the 'ratcheting' type or not. Why would that make a difference? Just wondering.

Are "noodles" the new slang for lap bars these days?

Robb made a filter so whenever you say (rhymes with bestraints), you get noodles.

Edited by TXman308

Honeslty, I thought V2 was more hideous in it's old yellow/blue 186' form, now that it is "slanted" and is painted red/orange & maroon, it looks much nicer, fits in better, and is much more unique. Also, I think SFDK needs to modify the enterance to V2 or do something to attract more visitors to V2 because it never has a line.

...⌡eep comes out as "GP"...

I have a Jeep Wrangler!

Superman Ultimate Flights opens Friday June 22, 2012!!! and Thursday June 21, 2012 for season pass holders!

Season Pass Holder Preview

Be the first to experience SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight before it opens to the public! Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 2012 Season Pass holders are invited to an exclusive ride event on Thursday, June 21, 2012 from the time the park opens at 10:30 a.m. until closing time at 8 p.m.

Enjoy entertainment and be a part of the excitement and thrills for this highly anticipated new coaster.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is the newest ride experience at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi. As the park’s first DC Comics-themed attraction and named after the iconic superhero, this original, custom-built ride will offer a truly, one-of-a-kind thrill for casual coaster enthusiasts, fanatics and the like.

Spend the rest of your day at the park enjoying our attractions and other thrill rides such as Medusa, V2 and Roar. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to ride this exciting, new launch coaster before it opens to the public.

Season Pass holders must show their 2012 Season Pass I.D. card at the ride entrance. This preview event is only open to those with valid Six Flags Discovery Kingdom 2012 Season Pass holders.

Non-Season Pass holders interested in attending the SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight event can purchase their Season Passes online or upgrade their admission tickets at the park for just $32.99.

Due to anticipation of strong turnout for this event, you may experience long queue lines. Sorry for the inconvenience.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight opens to the public on Friday, June 22, 2012.

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/events/SeasonPassPreviewJune2012.aspx

That's funny it says enjoy Medusa, V2, and Roar but no mention of Kong or Boomerang.

So less than a month away, time to finish up and start testing this baby!

It says "such as", so they might have been implied but not listed.

Well, it's nice to hear that there's an official opening date for the coaster.

Anyway, I'm purchasing my season pass, and visiting the park tomorrow to check out construction. Hopefully it shouldn't be too crowded since it's a Thursday.

Well, it's nice to hear that there's an official opening date for the coaster.

Anyway, I'm purchasing my season pass, and visiting the park tomorrow to check out construction. Hopefully it shouldn't be too crowded since it's a Thursday.

Then I'm expecting a big photo update on this thing!

Funny thing is, that is the exact same day Sky Rocket opened in 2010.

With hundereds of major coasters at US parks, that primarily open their new rides between April and July, you are likely to find dozens of coasters that have the same brithday.