TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Another Facebook post from SFDK. Nice to see things coming along. However, at this rate, I question whether this thing will even be ready for July 4th weekend. *Shrugs* That's what Wintertime in the Park is for!

superman.thumb.jpg.0028463d050aa25cdc0d656757d257d2.jpg

So it really is just putting Part A to Part B, just on a much bigger scale, with someone calling out the shots!

It's just amazing to me how these west coast Six Flags parks that don't have to deal with weather can never seem to get their new rides open for Memorial Weekend.

I mean, SFGAm had a MUCH bigger install than either SFMM or SFDK and at this rate it'd be surprising if either was ready for July 4th.

Why would just that one section appear to have yellow rails and not the others?

Maybe because the others haven't been painted yet? Just a thought.

Aren't they painted at the factory?

The rails on the piece of track that is going up into the first tower has its rails painted yellow...they weren't yellow a few days ago. Seems to me that the pieces are arriving solid red and are having their rails painted yellow on site.

^Interesting they would do it that way.

Seems to be a lot of interesting things: lack of dual/sliding 'Mr Freeze' station, what appears to be a 'longer than expected' installation even though the bay area weather is pretty generous (There goes my guess of a mid-late June opening considering there's still testing this thing has to go through), and mysterious yellow rails appearing.

Looking forward to actually seeing some more track going up!

Yet another update on their FB page. It's nice to see them moving along with this. I've never seen a train on uncompleted track before.

Superman.thumb.jpg.35078df5a9bacfb0f78a44f3af434b53.jpg

The first train was installed this morning and it’s a beauty! If you visit the park this weekend, be sure to check out the construction progress on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight!

I googled Kennywood Skyrocket review. The third link brings you to this:

The ride itself is really quiet running, really smooth, and pretty fun. The semi-hold at the top is a pretty nice touch. Yes there is airtime. Yes there is airtime in the inversions which is different. I can't give a seat by seat experience but if you follow the guidance if you are taller to sit in rows 1, 2, or 5 it is comfy. The first part of the ride is much more intense than the second part which does not have a lot to it. It is a short ride, but considering the area of the park that was expected.

At least some progress is happening. What I'm worried about is how the trains will be uncomfortable after reading this trip report: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55883

I guess that will make a second coaster SFDK has had with uncomfy trains. Think back to Zonga, squeezing into those trains were like cramming yourself into a sardine can. I believe my knees were right up on the seat structure for the row in front of me, with floor space about the size of my shoe give or take a few inches.

I know Premier made modifications to Zonga's track, did they also have input on the trains or were those Schwarzkopf trains?

^ While the train chassis and body were original the restraints were also redone by Premier from the awesome Schwarzkopf accordion shoulder harnesses and lapbars to those horrid OSTRs at the same time as the track modifications. I really wish that I had been able to ride it in it's original form considering how awesome Olympia Looping was and how meh I thought Zonga was.

^ Yeah that's true, the harnesses weren't Anton. However the reason for the change was because of the constant issue of the accordions clicking down more during the ride from the ridiculous G's. From what I hear it was pretty awesomely painful. The original restraints Premiere sent out where hard and hurt like hell, that's why the park got the much softer black ones the ride opened with. I'm not sure why people complained so much, they weren't that bad. The issue was that they just didn't allow you to put up your hands, which was by design since the modifications greatly reduced clearances in some places.

Found some footage of V2 from before the 45° spike and with the holding brake.

I knew it would be this, and it was this. This is footage from Xtreme Roller Coasters showing Californian coasters in the early 2000s with the exception of Knott's. It really is good for "historical reference".