TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

SFA can use it to replace two face....sure they're getting IW this year but they're so far behind in terms of coaster installations that they could really benefit from this as a 2013 addition.

I agree. SFA could benefit the most as they have neither a spinner nor a mouse and they really don't have much in terms of family coasters unless you count the 2 woodies.

Park update is up over at NewsPlusNotes if anyone is interested.

I always count the last few hills being pretty rough and bangs you around and you can start hearing the train rattle. Also, how is the back seat for Roar? I only rode the front because I fear the back will be very rough.

^I ride Roar almost exclusively in the back...better airtime. Yeah, it's rough, but (IMO) not significantly worse than the front. For me, having lap bars instead of OTSRs makes the roughness MUCH more tolerable. I'll do multiple rides on Roar in the back on any given day, but never more than one on Kong (and only in the front).

Roar always hurt me a little, but in September 2009 it was brutal in the back seat. Not only was it bumpy, it wrenched my insides. I generally choose the back for better airtime, but I had to go for the front a couple times that day.

I hope Roar is running smoother next time I get a chance to check it out.

Roar always hurt me a little, but in September 2009 it was brutal in the back seat. Not only was it bumpy, it wrenched my insides. I generally choose the back for better airtime, but I had to go for the front a couple times that day.

I hope Roar is running smoother next time I get a chance to check it out.

This post made me laugh, I like how you describe it as this violent and painful experience and then go on to say how you rode it a couple more times. I guess I'm just kind of tolerant of Roar cause I usually don't find it to be too rough. When I rode SFA's last summer... THAT was rough.

Clearly .

To be fair, GR from '98-2003 was a kicka$$ woodie. After 2003 it got rougher and rougher until the point where I didn't even bother riding it. Roar however IS rough but still manageable and a great coaster.

Well 1st off since it will be Spring Break expect big lines. Hopefully all the multi train coasters (Medusa, Roar, and Kong) will have all trains going. I kind of doubt they will be running multiple trains by than though. So I would suggest hitting Roar and Kong 1st while lines are short. Even with a line Medusa's line goes quick. Also as far as shows go the Shouka Show and the Sea Lion show is a must see. Dolphin show is also really well done. Hope this helps. Oh also if you dont want to spend money in the park there's a carl's JR next door and a Olive Garden a little ways up the highway.

Planning to hit SFDK for the first time during our trip up North for college visits the week after Easter...planning a Tuesday visit...any tips?? Also hitting Santa Cruz Boardwalk on the weekend...

As for the Boardwalk, make sure to bring a jacket no matter what it looks like outside through the hotel window. You'll thank me for this later.

Planning to hit SFDK for the first time during our trip up North for college visits the week after Easter...planning a Tuesday visit...any tips?? Also hitting Santa Cruz Boardwalk on the weekend...

Cool! Which colleges are you planning on visiting?

I think thrillgeek pretty much summed it up fairly well. Check out the animal stuff midday when the rides have the biggest lines. I highly recommend at least checking them out! If you like animals, some of the up-charge attractions are really cool too. As for Medusa, I find that the lines are usually best in the last hour or so before closing.

Also, I'd wear layers, because the weather in NorCal has been kinda fickle lately. Maybe someone who lives in the Bay Area can confirm how it's been there?

Yes, in the "Heart of the Bay" as my city (Hayward) calls themselves...it's been off and on rainy though the past couple days have been a bit on the nicer side. We (the entire bay area) seem to be in this late-coming rainy season. I would bring a jacket as even during the summer it got a little on the cooler side during the evening...Especially when the fog comes in, or those afternoon/evening sea breezes go into force.

And the north bay (Vallejo and further up) seem to get hit harder when the rain comes in...at least that's how it seems.

I just right now gonna accept the fact that Superman will not be open by Memorial Day Weekend. Especially, given the size of the ride, There's no excuse why it couldn't have started in Feb-March.

I think you will be surprised how quick it goes up. There really isn't much to the track work. I think the park has a decent shot at making it as long as the rain doesn't stay the way it's been the last week.