TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

For the future attractions, these are some compact, smaller, under 150' rides that can be part of SFDK easily:

-Small Drop Tower (S&S, Zamperla)

-Intamin Half-Pipe Coaster

-S&S El Loco (Can be advertised as steepest drop in the US, or the World)

-Intamin Spinning Star

-Zamperla Rotoshake

are a few attractions I can see in the future, of course there are many products that can be built at SFDK that I haven'tstated.

Scratch off rotoshake, I don't believe Zamperla makes those anymore.

Just because SFDK has the 150 foot height barrier does not mean they're limited in any way shape or form.

The Iwerks theater WILL be coming back. It makes NO sense to spend the money to demolish the entire thing and build something else there that would not be as useful to the park in terms of use besides an attraction.

The only reason Big Pandamonium Spin got the Axe was because of its prime location. The closer to the front of the park, the heigher they can build. Sure they could have relocated it, but they already have a plethora of child friendly rides and attractions.

I highly doubt we'll see any other major ride removals for a long time.

At this point, I'd like to see them try and find room for that proposed Flyer (without demolishing anything) that was supposed to go in around 06-07, but was dropped in favor of a park name change. There is a large amount of space that SFDK could use for a flyer if they got creative.

Elaborate more on that rumored flyer.... Do you know where they would've put it, or who was going to be the manufacturer. Just curious because Six Flags (is notorious for cloning). The park could use a flyer but I'm thinking of BATWING at SFA, which I think may end up getting the AX at SFA and going into the rotation program and ending up at a new park. I think that the cost of upgrading the trains and system would be more cost effective (especially with ROI) if placed and marketed in a new park... Just as Im sure Iron wolf is going to do Wonders at SFA. But I can't see where batwing could fit at SFDK. Just speculating after reading your rumor about 2006 season.

Just because SFDK has the 150 foot height barrier does not mean they're limited in any way shape or form.

Didn't someone ask about the restriction this year at Bay Area Bash? I swear they answered something like: "The height restriction was a contract the park had with the county way back before the park got any coasters or rides... it could be modified if we drew up a new contract."

The way they said it sounded like they *could* make an agreement with the county to have a coaster or ride taller than 150 ft. but that it would probably take some time and paperwork. I.e., 150' isn't an ultimatum.

This made me really glad to hear, but I think it would be a long time before SFDK would even consider going taller than 150', and I don't really think they need to. SFMM is the extreme coaster park of California, so anything really big and extreme would probably just go there and not SFDK.

Elaborate more on that rumored flyer....

Ditto! I've never heard about this before.

I highly doubt we'll see any other major ride removals for a long time.

Maybe some of the kiddie rides? They seemed loathe to have so many.

The rumor that I heard was that Tatsu was originally planned for SFDK and it was going to where Superman is now. I believe it was going to use the area where the go-karts are and some of the area around Medusa's dive loop. If this is true, the plan was scratched because it was felt that SFMM needed the coaster more. I would like to see the coaster's layout and to see what they were actually planning to do.

^Well, in that case, I'm glad it went to SFMM. I know people complain Tatsu doesn't use the surrounding terrain as well as it could have, but at least the views are still miles better than they would've been at SFDK.

Even a flyer in the vein of S:UF would work for me (I actually like those somewhat), but not at the expense of Tatsu at SFMM! Of course, if one were to be installed now they'd need to choose a different name for it...

The rumor that I heard was that Tatsu was originally planned for SFDK and it was going to where Superman is now. I believe it was going to use the area where the go-karts are and some of the area around Medusa's dive loop. If this is true, the plan was scratched because it was felt that SFMM needed the coaster more. I would like to see the coaster's layout and to see what they were actually planning to do.

I never heard that one. But I did here about a rumored B&M flyer that was going to come to SFDK in 2006/2007, but was dropped in favor of a name change for the park. The coaster was to take up the Iwerks area.

I'm sorry but this sounds COMPLETELY bogus. Back in 2006-2007 I could have seen them getting a Superman clone but nothing as large as Tatsu.

Here's what I've heard over the past few years about what happened with the flyer, this may or may not be true.

Around 06-07, the idea arose to have a very large flying coaster be installed at the park in the concrete slab/go kart/ other land near the front of the park. While not on the scale of Tatsu, it was supposed to be custom, and quite immense.

It was also at this time that it really became evident that the name "Marine World" no longer fit the park, seeing as it had evolved into a park with more than just seafaring creatures. The park, which, in many people's opinions at that time was becoming a bit outdated and run down wasn't cutting it. Overall, the park was not performing well in terms of overall guest satisfaction. I recall that time being not so great in the park's history.

So multiple solutions were created to combat the growing problem.

The way things played out, it sounded like the flyer was the prominent choice at first, and almost happened. Then, the other project was proposed:

The re-naming, and re-branding of the park that not only changed the name, but upgraded the park as a whole. Marketing, upgrades, and other costs equalled the price of the proposed flyer, and was more likely to yield better results in terms of guest satisfaction.

So the flyer was tossed out in favor of the park revitalization. Smart move in my opinion.

Once again, take that with a grain of salt as I can't confirm it's all true.

Part of me really wishes the park did get the flyer just to see what the park would be like today.

Going back to the height restriction for a minute. I heard that V2 was higher then 150 and that's why the changed the front spike. Did they change it because the high restriction was put into effect the year that changed? Or did they not file the right paper work hope no one would notice?

Part of me really wishes the park did get the flyer just to see what the park would be like today.

Going back to the height restriction for a minute. I heard that V2 was higher then 150 and that's why the changed the front spike. Did they change it because the high restriction was put into effect the year that changed? Or did they not file the right paper work hope no one would notice?

The height restriction was in effect long before the original Marine World opened there. V2 opened, and I guess they somehow fudged the paperwork? Not sure quite how, but it was too high. When word got out that they broke the law, they quickly hurried to fix the issue.

They chopped the back spike off at 150ft, then removed the twisting forward spike.

They took the pieces of track from the original ride, and re-used them in the new slanted spike. The twist is actually the same one from the original ride, with the angle modified. I'm sure that not all the track pieces were old, but they did re-use many of them.

It was also at this time that it really became evident that the name "Marine World" no longer fit the park, seeing as it had evolved into a park with more than just seafaring creatures. The park, which, in many people's opinions at that time was becoming a bit outdated and run down wasn't cutting it. Overall, the park was not performing well in terms of overall guest satisfaction. I recall that time being not so great in the park's history.

I was practically scared to visit in 2009 after reading a number of terrible reviews of the place. However, when I visited a few times that season it became apparent the park had moved on from their dark era, as I had no problems or complaints of note during any visit. I just hope they keep it up (and people are aware of the improvements).

So the flyer was tossed out in favor of the park revitalization. Smart move in my opinion.

I agree. Although I was upset at first when I heard about the name change, I understood why they did it and I do agree that that move was the smartest they could have done. It'll still always be Marine World to me!

EDIT: Bryce232 beat me to it!

*cue GP comments*

I my first visit was in 2007, right after the name change. My initial perception of the park was pretty much what all the bad reviews were saying: one train operations, slow dispatches, not clean, confusing layout. Many rides had waits over an hour and were running one train, even though this was in the summer months. Medusa had a station wait of an hour, with five minute dispatches and one train running. (They did add the second one on later. However, Medusa was the only ride to get the two train treatment)

Next, I went for Fright Fest 2009. Not much had changed

In Spring 2011, I actually had a really good time at this park. All rides were running two trains, but dispatches were very slow.

Early Summer 2011: Pretty much the same experience as in spring, just PACKED. The park was not very clean, and the slow dispatches that were not noticable in the Spring, really added up and made many of the waits very long, even with 2 trains

Late summer 2011: The park was fairly crowded, but I actually had a really great time! The lines themselves were longer than usual, but the fast staff and quick dispatches made the lines move surprisingly fast! This day felt like a major step forward.

Fright Fest 2011: It felt like the park had stepped backward again. The quick dispatches in the summer were gone, and the crews were really more like they had been in early summer. I also saw an insane amount of line jumping, whether legal (priority boarding) or illegal.

This is how the park has evolved since the name change. Really, since then, I have only had one day where the park was crowded but still enjoyable. The park is headed in the right direction now, and hopefully the good days will soon outnumber the bad days.

^All haunt events will most likely seem a bit retrogressive mainly because they're made up of almost entirely teens and young adults, many of which act very innopropriately.

I tried to reason with the GP by posting this:

FOR ALL THOSE COMPLAINING READ THIS:

Discovery Kingdom is removing Pandamonium for Superman Ultimate Flight, and 150 foot tall launched coaster. Because the park has a height restriction of 150 feet, and only near the front of the park (as the limit height rapidly decreases) , the Pandamonium Plot was the best opinion.

Pandamonium is also very easy to remove, and the concrete slab it is built on will make installation of the new launch coaster much easier because no major terraforming will be needed. And for those saying that they're not coming back because they removed ONE small coaster? SFDK has DOZENS of other kid friendly attractions in the park, and I'm sure they'll balance out their attraction portfolio with another kid friendly attraction (And motion theater is supposedly going to return eventually).

SFDK is one of the most family friendly parks in the entire Six Flags chain. The park is more than just rides, it's animals too. There's NO height restrictions to see an animal show or watch habitats. Numerous animal exhibits, TWO major kid areas (Tava's Jungleland and Looney Toons Seaport) and various other aspects make it one of the best. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't complain when they remove ONE attraction.

I can see SFDK getting a custom family coaster in the future. Not one of those midget family coasters. a somewhat decent sized family coaster. Something like Muntanya Russa at Tibidabo. One of the smoothest Vekoma rides I have ever seen.

Didn't they just remove their decent sized family coaster?

Pandemonium deconstruction has begun!

From SFDK's Facebook.

Dam, that coaster has faded a lot!

I don't remember it being faded that much, it was red not pink track. It might just be the angle of the picture and the angle of the sun.

Also, something is wrong with this photo, I just don't know what it is.

1152765223_PandemoniumUhOh.png.b110d60921f653a010057c59fa4727cb.png

(I got this photo from SFDK Facebook & Theme Park Review)

Pandemonium deconstruction has begun!

From SFDK's Facebook.

Dam, that coaster has faded a lot!

I don't remember it being faded that much, it was red not pink track. It might just be the angle of the picture and the angle of the sun.

Also, something is wrong with this photo, I just don't know what it is.

[attachment=0]Pandemonium Uh Oh.png[/attachment]

(I got this photo from SFDK Facebook & Theme Park Review)

I NEVER went on it from the two times I've been to SFDK, and it was one of the rides left I needed to go on there..

Oh well..

Anyways, Is this SERIOUSLY the only pic they have of Pandemonium being taken down?!? I expected more..