TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Fright Fest details have been announced: http://frightfest.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/attractions/

Looks like someone made a little mistake with copy & paste...

Boomerang Coast to Terror

The greatest scientific minds in San Francisco have gone mad trying to understand the deadly and befuddling mystery hidden deep within one of the most scariest and brain melting drop towers in the world.

The original -

Superman: Tower of Power

The greatest scientific minds in St. Louis have gone mad trying to understand the deadly and befuddling mystery hidden deep within one of the most scariest and brain melting drop towers in the world.

Between this and "Can Your Keep a Secret" SFDK just can't get it right!

Kong was wonderful when I rode it in its first season; can't say how it's gotten over time since I haven't ridden it since 2000. Skyloop looks...um, like a Zac-Spin on steroids without the flopping around, though. I'd have to think twice or pop a Valium before getting on this one.

Between this and "Can Your Keep a Secret" SFDK just can't get it right!

I read the ones for SFMM and it seemed like there were even more mistakes! Six Flags really needs to hire a good proof-reader/more creative writer for these things. I would totally do it!

Kong may be one of the most celebrated steel coasters in the world, but it is also the premier residence in the park for angry, disillusioned spirits whose only joy in death is tormenting riders in the most painful ways imaginable.

Subtle in-joke or delicious irony? You decide!

LOL I love it! xD "One of the most-celebrated steel coasters" yeah right!

^The "angry spirits" are the people who just got off that ride!

"Tormenting riders in the most painful ways imaginable"......that is actually a very accurate description of Kong.

I really want a t-shirt that says: "Kong: tormenting riders in the most painful ways imaginable since 1998" I think I should totally design one for myself.

^The "angry spirits" are the people who just got off that ride!

"Tormenting riders in the most painful ways imaginable"......that is actually a very accurate description of Kong.

I really want a t-shirt that says: "Kong: tormenting riders in the most painful ways imaginable since 1998" I think I should totally design one for myself.

Lol, yeah I would like to see that!

I'm wondering if going in September is a good idea for SFDK? I ask this because I went to Knott's in September 2 years back and there was a whole list of rides closed for Haunt such as Xcelerator, GhostRider, Sky Cabin, Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars, etc. I'm wondering if SFDK has the same problem. If it's just 2 or 3 non-major rides then it is okay. My priorities are Medusa, Sky Screamer, V2, & Roar.

Hmm...(you got the gears going in my head....time to make something!) Too bad I have no ties with a screen printing company!

Aren't there random shops that can do t-shirt printing for a fee? I know some shops don't do certain types of printing individually, but some do. It depends on how many you want to make I suppose and what type you want. I know a place locally that does stuff like that and they said there were two types of printing, and one of them is cheaper for individual tees, the other is better for mass tee-printing.

I'm wondering if going in September is a good idea for SFDK? I ask this because I went to Knott's in September 2 years back and there was a whole list of rides closed for Haunt such as Xcelerator, GhostRider, Sky Cabin, Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars, etc. I'm wondering if SFDK has the same problem. If it's just 2 or 3 non-major rides then it is okay. My priorities are Medusa, Sky Screamer, V2, & Roar.

I'm not sure about that, but what I'd worry about more is the weather. There have been freak lightning/rain storms in the area lately and they're not going to keep any of the rides open if there's lightning.

^^Xcel and GR do not close for Haunt builds. XC was probably in a "forced rehab" as that's when the cable incident happened. If you went before the incident happened it was probably just the "usual" day for Xcel.

GR has a 3 week rehab before every Haunt. Wheeler Dealer Bumper Cars, Balloon Race, and Grand Sierra Scenic Railroad close for Haunt. Just thought I'd clear that up for ya.

SFDK used the bumber cars for a maze last year, so It might happen this year as well. I don't think the park would close down any MAJOR attractions for FF. They might on the last few days until the event if they want to spook up an attraction or something, but im not sure. A haunted rapids ride would be so awesome!!!

They usually go down for the winter in late September or Early October and don't usually reopen till March. If I recall correctly, Monsoon Falls does something along similar lines.

Neither ride, as well as the water fortress in Looney Toons Seaport are closed during the limited hours of Holiday in the Park.

On a side note, the crowds are usually relatively light during Holiday in the park, and the special events around the park are really worth checking out.

Expect one or two major ride being down though. This year I suspect that a good Majority of the "Sky" area will be closed for the construction of Superman, as the same thing occurred during Pandemonium's building period.

They usually go down for the winter in late September or Early October and don't usually reopen till March. If I recall correctly, Monsoon Falls does something along similar lines.

Neither ride, as well as the water fortress in Looney Toons Seaport are closed during the limited hours of Holiday in the Park.

On a side note, the crowds are usually relatively light during Holiday in the park, and the special events around the park are really worth checking out.

Expect one or two major ride being down though. This year I suspect that a good Majority of the "Sky" area will be closed for the construction of Superman, as the same thing occurred during Pandemonium's building period.

Does it include V2 and Roar?

When they were building Big Spin, they used the laza area as a place for prepping track for installation. I mean, do you really think they'd haul every piece one by one from the backstage area of the park over to the site while disturbing park operations?

No.

I'm pretty sure the area will be closed for Holiday in the park. It's really not that big of a deal, as there's still 5 other coasters operational.

Although Medusa, Kong and Sky Screamer will probably have obscene waits due to the fact that two major coasters will be unable to operate.

Due note however that the back of the park is usually completely deserted during HitP, but also closes early. Boomerang, Voodoo, Taz amd Hammerhead are usually walk-ons.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure the area will be closed for Holiday in the park. It's really not that big of a deal, as there's still 5 other coasters operational.

Although Medusa, Kong and Sky Screamer will probably have obscene waits due to the fact that two major coasters will be unable to operate.

Due note however that the back of the park is usually completely deserted during HitP, but also closes early. Boomerang, Voodoo, Taz and Hammerhead are usually walk-ons.

So, there are 5 other coasters still operational, but two of them are family/ kiddy coasters, and another two are a boomerang and a SLC, so there is only one coaster that is REALLY worth riding.

In the list of rides that might have long waits. I would add cobra on that list, not only are two major thrill rides closed, but there is also a major family ride leaving, so I would imagine the crowd that Big spin would of had moving to cobra.

When isn't Voodoo a walk on?

When they were building Big Spin, they used the laza area as a place for prepping track for installation. I mean, do you really think they'd haul every piece one by one from the backstage area of the park over to the site while disturbing park operations?

No.

Due note however that the back of the park is usually completely deserted during HitP, but also closes early. Boomerang, Voodoo, Taz amd Hammerhead are usually walk-ons.

I was the supervisor of all the rides in Roar Plaza that first year. Those rides were closed in 2007 because of rehabs. The park had to close some major attractions because they hadn't prepared throughout the year for long operation like that. HIP wasn't even official until the season began that year. Roar needed track work and V2's train takes longest to rehab in the park. If they operated both through HiP, those rides wouldn't have been ready for the first couple months of 2008.

2008 (and I think 09 and 2010) had V2 and Roar open because the park prepared throughout the year for extended operation.

In regards to Pandemonium construction, Pandemonium pieces didn't even start arriving at the park until February of 2008, well after HIP was over. Also the area they are building Superman has plenty of spare room to store the pieces on site and not have to transport them from a backstage area.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that...

Hopefully there will be some noticable construction going on by the time HitP rolls around. I'll have my camera at the ready!

I think the most there will be is an empty Zonga pad at that time. I seems like they usually start the real construction in around February

Every time I've been to SFDK during frightfest, no rides were closed asides from the bumper cars. Their always putting a maze up in that sadly. The bumper car's really are decent if not great with pretty low lines last season. I seriously ride them about 2-4 times per visit.