TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Announces New Thrill Coaster in 2012 — SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight

New Thrill Coaster is Park’s First DC Comics-Themed Attraction

The familiar refrain, “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Superman!” will become part of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s lexicon with the official announcement today of the park’s exciting new roller coaster, SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight. The ride, created in a partnership between Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, is slated to open in spring 2012.

This one-of-a-kind super launch coaster features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi and will rank alongside the tallest coaster inversions in the world. At 150 feet high, riders will experience lightning speeds of 62 miles per hour, with two upside-down twists and two vertical rolls over a track length of 863 feet.

“We’re excited to bring this caliber of ride to Discovery Kingdom,” said Dale Kaetzel, Park President. “Since we opened our super coaster Medusa in 2000, the public has been waiting for a ride to match that intensity. We believe that SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will satisfy even the most fearless thrill-seeker, and then some.”

As Discovery Kingdom’s first DC Comics-themed ride, the new addition is the perfect complement to the park’s unique collection of marine life, wildlife and wild rides. Thrill rides include the aforementioned Medusa, along with Kong, Roar, Vertical Velocity and Boomerang, and SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight’s addition solidifies Discovery Kingdom’s standing as Northern California’s best place to experience thrills of all kinds.

Brightly painted in Superman’s colors — vibrant blue, red and yellow — the steel coaster will be visible from Highway 37 and beyond from its location on the eastern side of the park. Construction on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will begin in early 2012.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with

19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company’s flagship location, is celebrating its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

Source:

http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/supermanultimateflight/

I can't imagine this has a very high rider capacity.

As for Capacity concerns:

When I visited Kennywood when Skyrocket first opened I was surprised to see only 2 trains. (Now I didn't have to wait in line) but, the PR Director of Kennywood said they never get a line above 90 Minutes. Skyrocket is considerbly longer than this ride, and the cars are the same, so their shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I just hope that when the ride launches backwards it doesn't actually make it over the loop and valley at the bottom of it. I'm sure the engineers have this whole thing figured out but one can only wonder.

My thoughts exactly. I know it's only an animation, but the cars seem awfully close to making it over the top of the inner loop.

Did Premier buy Mauer or somehow lease their stuff?

I still think they should have incorporated a transfer table in the station.

Then again, Abismo at Parque de Atracciones de Madrid seems to be doing just fine with one double-car train and it's an extended circuit.

I just hope that when the ride launches backwards it doesn't actually make it over the loop and valley at the bottom of it. I'm sure the engineers have this whole thing figured out but one can only wonder.

My thoughts exactly. I know it's only an animation, but the cars seem awfully close to making it over the top of the inner loop.

Did Premier buy Mauer or somehow lease their stuff?

Non issue but if it did happen, it would be fun to be on it when it valleys.

I'm pretty sure Premier and MS and separate entities but these cars look sort of similar to the MS X car.

Why would that hurt, its lap bars only?

It might have a sudden spike in lateral Gs going around the twists. Being thrown to one side is painful, especially for a small ginger kid like myself. That's why I hate Wild Mouse coasters.

The laterals on Hollywood Rockit aren't bad at all. The climb after the second forward launch may have strong laterals up near the top. I wonder if say an ERT session could include double rides. That would be freakin awesome. Very cool looking ride, I am surprised and impressed. If it runs and rides well we may see more of these, hopefully closer to me.

The cars sure do look a lot like these...

Maurer Sohne X Car

S:UF cars

thumb_superman03_300dpi_8x10.jpg

If the rendering is true then Premier has designed cars that look damn close to the Maurer Sohne X car. The track is even similar to what Maurer Sohne uses. Wouldn't it be funny if this was actually going to be from Maurer Sohne?

Of all the Premier coasters, the only ones with transfer track loading are the Freeze's, right? Mummy Florida has a dual loading station but not a transfer track.

edit: Oh wait Powderkeg too.

Edited by Wes

Wow, this ride is quite amazing looking. Like many others, I didn't even realize this was a Premier coaster until well after I watched the animation. I'm loving the complete lack of support at the top. That twist is going to offer some seriously intimidating moments for anyone not at complete ease with heights, like myself. If I'm ever out in California I'm going to have to make a stop to ride this thing.

This will get me back to the Bay Area for certain. Good thing, 'cause yet again there's nothing to look forward to at CGA. Sorry to see the spinner leave though, it was a superb family ride / moderate thriller. What, go carts that much of a money-maker they couldn't have both?