TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I think that SFDK needs some more family coasters. This ride has a lot of flaws...

1. Superman isn't a fitting theme

2. It looks sickening. I doubt that it'll be around for a long time.

3. Low Capacity

4. You go through a barrel roll 150 ft in the air with only a lapbar. This ride should have shoulder restraints if it's gonna do that.

In the long run. I don't think a lot of people are gonna ride it. (Or at least let their kids on it.)

This post has so many fails in it I can't even get into it.

I think that SFDK needs some more family coasters. This ride has a lot of flaws...

3. Low Capacity

4. You go through a barrel roll 150 ft in the air with only a lapbar. This ride should have shoulder restraints if it's gonna do that.

In the long run. I don't think a lot of people are gonna ride it. (Or at least let their kids on it.)

You...cant...be...serious.

3. Low Capacity

"1. Superman isn't a fitting theme"

-I agree on this one. Bizarro would probably be more fitting.

"2. It looks sickening. I doubt that it'll be around for a long time."

-Why would a "sickening" ride not be around for a long time? Sure, some people might get sick on it, but most people would be fine on it. There are plenty of flat rides that are far more sickening!

"3. Low Capacity"

-That's pretty true... I can't disagree with that one. However, I don't think it will be as bad as you think. We'll see!

"4. You go through a barrel roll 150 ft in the air with only a lapbar. This ride should have shoulder restraints if it's gonna do that."

-Lap bars are perfectly safe! It's not like the older style of lap bars where they don't go down very far. These are new types of lap bars that fit very tightly around you lower body. It's perfectly safe!

3. Low Capacity

Ah, the negativity and complaining has started. Well it had to start somewhere.

When I first watched the video I noticed the two trims and thought they were a little overkill. But after watching it a few more times the trims are kind of cool as one makes you creep through the barrel roll, which makes it insane, and the other gives you just enough time to catch your breath before you fall into the loop. I am really excited about this one!

And I think the pics don't do it justice. You can imagine what this will be like with it being 150ft (barrel roll) and not really get a sense of how big it is until you see it in person.

I just got my first look at this new ride - and my eyes bugged out at the insane design of this ride. It looks like it came right out of RollerCoaster Tycoon.

This was probably the best kept secret of the Six Flags teasers as no one could have predicted something like this and at the park it's going to be located in. I'm a bit bummed that they went with a superhero theme given the theme of the actual park. Poison Ivy could have been a good name for it.

Having ridden Sky Rocket there should be no concern over the restraints. They will be fine when traversing the in-line twist at the top. Congrats, SFDK, on your new ride. It looks amazing!

I think a sea creature like a Stingray would have made a better theme.

Well there is already a new coaster opening in Cali with a "Ray" theme... Manta at Seaworld San Diego. I think a Stingray theme would be a little to similar a theme for two new coasters opening the same year in the same state.

3. Low Capacity

I'll try to respond to this without laughing too much.

1. They didn't invest this ride or it's theme for you, they did it for the general public. The general public doesn't go to Six Flags for the theme. At the end of the day, it is a coaster, and a new one at that--if you build it, people will ride. To anyone else, the theme won't truly be the deciding factor on the coaster's success.

2. There are far worse inversions and far more intense coasters out there, and they still exist. Again, they didn't design this coaster for you, they designed it for the general public.

3. While this is true, think of it this way... If hundreds of people are waiting in line for this, that means that those hundreds aren't waiting in line for the other rides and attractions in the park, thus decreasing the waits across the board. While this attraction may be a capacity nightmare, it will help both on the marketing angle as well as balancing the crowd dispersion throughout the park, much like Soarin' does for Epcot.

4. Skyrocket at Kennywood goes through several inversions with the same trains and no rider has fallen out. Many Premier launched coasters feature only lap bars and no riders have fallen out. Look around at the some of the similar coasters that are out there and you'll realize that lap bars are not uncommon in looping coasters. Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain even had a lap bar for a lengthy period of time.

In the long run, I'm sure plenty of people will ride it. It is a roller coaster. People come to the park to ride roller coasters, especially kids.

3. Low Capacity

Im not trying to be mean but this really belongs in the "Weirdest things the GP has said" thread,

1. I do kind of a agree on this one but hey, its only 1 ride out of the many other rides they have.

2. WHAT? Why would they take out a popular family ride, only to have the ride replacing it leave.

3. I do agree, but hey, if that means everyone will be waiting in line for this, then that means more rides on the other rides for me!!

4. Again, WHAT? Coasters have been doing inversions with lapbars for years, and there's Sky Rocket, with the same trains.

In the long run, you should stop complaining and be happy that a Norcal park is finally get a new thrilling roller coaster! This ride looks awesome!!

I'm so into this coaster... and agree with whoever said they'd rather have this (even if it is low capacity) than another boomerang (SFNE). This thing just looks like it's going to be a blast... and it looks like it's just lap bars! The hang time at the top will probably be crazy!

Yeah, this is definitely in my theoretical top 5, "Must ride coasters in 2012" list. Is it bad that I'm even going to put this above X-Flight in terms of epicness?

No, it's not bad, it's currently my #3 for 2012, after Skyrush and Leviathan. X-Flight looks awesome, but it's not quite as unique, and it doesn't have the same OMFG WTF factor.

3. Low Capacity

Custom title says it all.

Hey, while we're at it, let's phone Fuji-Q and bring 'em in to put extra padding on the lap bars and add extra shoulder restraints! That would be great! All you would see in your on-ride photo would be your head sticking out of a black mess of restraint! Then, let's put catwalks along the entire length of the ride, including the twisty bits! That will make our rides safer! I mean, when Superman saves people from imminent fiery death, he clenches them in a choke hold as he flies away! We need to recreate that experience!