TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Announces New Thrill Coaster in 2012 — SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight

New Thrill Coaster is Park’s First DC Comics-Themed Attraction

The familiar refrain, “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Superman!” will become part of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s lexicon with the official announcement today of the park’s exciting new roller coaster, SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight. The ride, created in a partnership between Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, is slated to open in spring 2012.

This one-of-a-kind super launch coaster features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi and will rank alongside the tallest coaster inversions in the world. At 150 feet high, riders will experience lightning speeds of 62 miles per hour, with two upside-down twists and two vertical rolls over a track length of 863 feet.

“We’re excited to bring this caliber of ride to Discovery Kingdom,” said Dale Kaetzel, Park President. “Since we opened our super coaster Medusa in 2000, the public has been waiting for a ride to match that intensity. We believe that SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will satisfy even the most fearless thrill-seeker, and then some.”

As Discovery Kingdom’s first DC Comics-themed ride, the new addition is the perfect complement to the park’s unique collection of marine life, wildlife and wild rides. Thrill rides include the aforementioned Medusa, along with Kong, Roar, Vertical Velocity and Boomerang, and SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight’s addition solidifies Discovery Kingdom’s standing as Northern California’s best place to experience thrills of all kinds.

Brightly painted in Superman’s colors — vibrant blue, red and yellow — the steel coaster will be visible from Highway 37 and beyond from its location on the eastern side of the park. Construction on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will begin in early 2012.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with

19 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Six Flags Over Texas, the company’s flagship location, is celebrating its 50th anniversary season in 2011.

Source:

http://news.sixflags.com/2012news/2011/08/26/supermanultimateflight/

Superman01_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.73269d68e319c0ae4a73df8d72e32b31.jpg

Superman02_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.979824f1e24e669122eba6bb8072feec.jpg

Superman03_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.0136ee64f0c427dcf3fab6d4bc49098a.jpg

Superman04_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.7f3f4b10e1089589e960320d40c81e13.jpg

Superman05_300dpi_8x10.thumb.jpg.0b1488dedc0625b3c819e94e4d6852a7.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

This is really the surprise announcement of the day! I don't think anyone was expecting this at all.

I'm also surprised at this line:

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

It looked like a Maurer Sohne to me at first glance, I'm very interested to see how Premier builds this ride! It looks very unique.

Wow, I did not see this one coming. But it looks completely unique and awesome, and it makes the park that much more appealing to me for a trip to the Bay Area. Also, I like how in the video there appear to be brakes that stop the train before the heartline roll, should allow for massive hangtime, which will be awesome 150 feet in the air.

Well lets hope DK gets things right with yet another impulse/shuttle coaster, like their 3.25th or something. It's good to know that Premier is behind this one but I'd hate to see that train valley in that loop somehow. It is cool though how that loop pays homage to Thriller, not sure if that was intended. Also too bad that capacity will be horrible on this ride will be less than half of V2's train while the ride will have a longer duration.

Now that its actually going in, I can put my real thoughts-

THIS LOOKS AWESOME!! A very cool compact layout, but it looks like it would be a Maure Sohne, not Permire, the only thing I have to complain about this is the capacity. But ether way, I can wait for this to open! (Oh, and it looks like SF is running out of names to )

Whoa! None of us were expecting that!

Someone posted the link like 30 min. after I got off to do my math homework, and I didn't get back on until now. I'm so mad. I should have checked this before I went to bed.

Anyway.... my first reaction seeing this was, "It's basically V2 with a loop, what are they thinking?" but now after looking closer at it, I think it's actually a really good move. I'm not sure about the wing coaster at SFGAm, but this definitely looks better than the other announcements! Plus, it'll have a nice element for SFDK to brag about (tallest loop in the West). Judging from all of your reactions, it sounds like it's going to do what it really is intended to do: bring in thrill seekers!

Also, I thought that this was a really interesting idea given the small space where Pandemonium was and given the height restriction. I'm not disappointed. And when I heard about Six Flags trademarking the Superman: Ultimate Flight name it never occurred to me that SFDK might get it!

Two concerns:

1) It looks like the train might have a tendency to valley at the top

2) Low capacity

One question:

Watching the video, it looks like it only goes through the entire circuit (and the big loop) once going forward, is that correct?