TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^What you forget is that there are houses very close to the parking lot (noise complaints galore), and I believe the height maximum goes down the closer you get to the parking lot.

It does go down the closer it gets to the lake. That idea picture posted is a very good one except that it's right by the lake, so the height limit would be something like 50'.

There was something really interesting said at Bay Area Bash and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the height restriction can be negotiated with the county. It sounds like SFDK *could* get a coaster taller than 150' (or a taller ride in the back toward the lake), but it would take a lot of paperwork and approval by the county. I doubt anything would be worked out already for 2012, but it's a good hope for the future of the park.

Well, the park posted a "Guess what we're getting" type thing on there Facebook page, and it's pretty entertaining reading what people think the park should get, a mini kong? OUCH! But I think the park will really be getting an "inverted stand up wooden launched 4D Aquatrax" (Which I believe was posted by a fellow TPR member) next year!

Well, the park posted a "Guess what we're getting" type thing on there Facebook page, and it's pretty entertaining reading what people think the park should get, a mini kong? OUCH! But I think the park will really be getting an "inverted stand up wooden launched 4D Aquatrax" (Which I believe was posted by a fellow TPR member) next year!

LOL! I'm so going to the Facebook now to read them!

MOVED from the "Weirdest Things the GP have said" thread (because I forgot which thread I was in and went off-topic a little too much!)

^ All my cousins still stubbornly refer to SFDK as Marine World.

During our Q&A at SFDK, the guy there did mention that it will always be Marine World in many people's hearts (referring to those who grew up with Marine World).

It warmed my heart to hear that. I understand why they changed the name, but it will always be Marine World to me.

Does anyone still have original merchandise/maps/brochures with the Marine World/Marine World Africa USA logo on it? I'd be interested to see pictures of some of the things you all have.

A few of the things I have(Marine World Africa USA): a pennant, a sweatshirt, several brochures and maps, a deck of cards with the old whales on it, some post cards with various animals, and a plate with illustrations of different animals incl. a whale and a dolphin. The plate is the most awesome thing out of them all and totally a mistake. I believe my grandma bought it for me at a local yard sale because she knew I liked things with whales on them, but no one realized that it said "Marine World Africa USA" on it until I saw it and told her. I was like then Best yard-sale gift EVER!!!!

If you want I can try to gather these things and take a picture of them.

I have an old Marine World wallet (probably from when it was in Redwood City) has an image of people water skiing on it. My cousin (one of the lucky winners during the raffle) has a mug with both SFDK logo and MWA USA logo...a nice little throwback. I have a handful of SFMW maps from back from 1999-2006...need to dig them up.

Whoa from Redwood City? That's awesome! I was very lucky to win one of those Bag of Crap raffles too, so I got a mug. Made the bag a lot less "crappy"!

Also, there was a book about killer whales that I saw in my elementary school library that had a whole chapter on Vigga, the whale that died in 2001 before they got Shouka. I'd really like to get that book.

EDIT: I just now looked up the title on Amazon and actually fount it! Eureka! The two whales on the cover are actually Yaka and Vigga from Marine World. I think it's Yaka jumping over Vigga and I think this is the exact picture that I have on the deck of cards.

http://www.amazon.com/Orcas-Supermen-Cover---Cover-Informational/dp/0789152584/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314501999&sr=1-1

was there on sunday, and seen a giants alligator looks like there trying to keep it hidden, its fake but looks really cool, i guess it was the alligator they used on lake placid the movie. wonder if it has anything to do with what ever is new

The post was from a TPR member, was actually me The post below mine was a bit funny...*imagines a GP visioning such a complex coaster design that's not even realistically possible*

The post was from a TPR member, was actually me The post below mine was a bit funny...*imagines a GP visioning such a complex coaster design that's not even realistically possible*

Haha! I knew it!

I can't wait to find out what's in store for 2012! I really hope it's not going to be a disappointment. This is the first time I've really been excited about the announcements. SFDK really needs a new custom coaster and I'm almost afraid to hope that they're going to finally get one!

I didn't read the article, so how is it going to get up that hill? Surely it isn't a spiral chain lift, and it doesn't seem like there's enough room for a launch, so.......?

The blurb said either a 60 or 65 mph launch. I cant remember which...