TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fiesta Fest -Day One (SFFT)

Each October I always plan the same old trip to Orlando for my birthday. I have done this for the past four years. It is an easy choice since I always stay with my buddy and his wife right out of Orlando. I always attend HHN (Universal Orlando) and Howl-O-Scream (BGT), but I decided to do something different this year. I can and will attend HHN abit later in the the month.

So Fiesta Feast was moved to October this year and I have always heard it was one of those events that was a must to attend. So after checking some flights out, I decided to book a flight to Austin, TX. and drive down to San Antonio for the weekend. Got to love the traffic on a friday afternoon around San Antonio.

So day one of Fiesta Fest began with the meeting of old friends and soon to be friends at registration. It is always great to see people that you have not seen in a few months, plus seeing some who had to deal with Katrina and Rita. After picking up the packet and the bright orange event shirt, it was time for some riding.

Now I am not a huge fan of any S&S tower ride since once you rode one then you have rode them all in my view. I passed on Scream and decided to stick with Poltergeist for the first morning session of ERT. My riding partner was my good friend Judi who I meet her and her family down the road afew years back when ACE Spring Con was at Astroworld. I think we rode about seven times before it was time to move on to the second session of ERT for the morning. We stopped off to get our pic with some of the monsters that had decided to make an appearance for the ERT.

The next area of ERT was in the Boardwalk area which consist of a Frisbee, scrambler, ferris wheel, and Scooby Doo (Interactive Dark Ride). I decided to try the Scooby Doo Haloween Invitational to see just how many points I could get. Needless to say, it is safe to say that I did not even come close to winning at all. I took a few rides on the Frisbee before it was time to head over towards lunch at noon in the area above Hospitality. I noticed that the park was not to crowded for opening as we headed into lunch.

Lunch is what you would not call the usual coaster event food that you ate off of paper plates and plastic forks. I was served on fine china with real silverware. Lunch was chicken, green beans, carrots, roll, and cheese cake. I am sure I forgot something else that was also offered. I got to see abit of one of the shows since I decided to sit on the balcony while I dined. I could say that I was starting to see why Six Flags Fiesta Texas has won the Golden Ticket for seven straight years.

After lunch it was time to meander towards the boardwalk for some EST (Exclusive Scare Time) at Necropolis. You started by going through the old Q-house of Joker's Revenge that is filled with clowns. You exit the q-house and wait for the tram to take you to the Maul. I am not really going to go into alot of detail about what is inside the Maul since I do not want to spoil it.

After the EST, I just wondered through the park to see what I had missed out on during my first stop in 2003. Now anyone who knows me knows that I am a big fan of Top Spins. I was hoping that theirs was open since I have had bad luck all year at parks that have Top Spins in them, but I hit the nail on the head today. Their Spin was open and it was off to enjoy a spin on it. Now the first part of the program was great with five spins, but the ending was what I call a 'Dorney Park' ending since there was zero spins. It reminded me of the Spinner at Dorney, which is the weakest Top Spin with zero flips.

After wondering around the par, it was time for the first ever show I have seen at SFFT. I arrived early for the VIP seating at 'Last Chance Legends' that took place in Purgatory Hall. I now see why the park has won so many Golden Tickets for their shows. There is noone that I have seen that could even hold a candle to this show at any other park I have seen a show at. Not really going to get into detail about the show but it is well worth it to sit through.

Next was Dinner, which was another outstanding meal that puts any other coaster event meal to shame. So after dinner it was off to the main show at the park 'Mayer Slayer's Monster Mash Bash' which takes place 30 minutes each night during Fright Fest at the amphitheater. And it was a sight to see a very large number of people come rushing in when they drop the gates. it reminded me of the'Runin of the Bulls'. This show was the crowning jewel of the park and I have to agree that it was awsome.

After the show it was time for some ERT on Rattler and Roadrunner Express. I decided to take a token ride on Rattler in the front. I had recalled that in my prior trip to SFFT that it was best to attempt to ride this puppy in the front since I did not felt like having the heck beat out of me. Now I have to say that this one and only ride was not that bad. Now that did not mean that I did not jump right off and run back around to ride again. I figured one was enough and it was off Roadrunner to finish off the night at SFFT.

This concludes day one at Fiesta Fest. Stay tuned for day two late sunday evening.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic