TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

I'm leaning towards the SLC, but the only thing is by now I'm pretty sure you would have seen some clearing or markings somewhere in the park, I was there on Saturday and I didn't see either. Also, on the GECentral forums, someone posted that it's also possible that it will be a drop tower or two, put in the Rainbow's old spot, and the way Mark Shapiro described the ride as "visually stunning", that makes more sense.

How much more room does Great Escape to expand on?

-Tatum

^They have a decent amount of space, theres alot of room behind the Nightmare's building and the Northwoods Picnic Grove that could be opened up, and also the front parking lot in front of the Steamin' Demon that like nobody really uses. Opening up back there would be good for them though, as Great Escape is laid out VERY badly, every area is pretty much a dead end like Ghost Town, Looney Tunes National Park, etc.

How much more room does Great Escape to expand on?

-Tatum

^They have a decent amount of space, theres alot of room behind the Nightmare's building and the Northwoods Picnic Grove that could be opened up, and also the front parking lot in front of the Steamin' Demon, which I'm guessing won't be there too much longer, that like nobody really parks. Opening up back there would be good for them though, as Great Escape is laid out VERY badly, every area is pretty much a dead end like Ghost Town, Looney Tunes National Park, etc.

GE looks like a nice smaller park, although it doesn't seem to get much love from Six Flags in regards to new rides. How long has it been since the park had a new coaster installed? I would wager the used SLC is what they will get, and hopefully they will at least give them the new trains for it. A nice steel coaster (non-looping, even like a mini-hyper) would be great for the park and a nice complement to Comet in my opinion.

^The last time they got a coaster was in 2003, when we got the Canyon Blaster, which is an OK family ride, but if you mean actually NEW roller coaster, it was the Boomerang in 1997, other than that, everyone of Great Escape's roller coaster's was used. Flat rides are just as bad, the last flat ride they got was the Pirate in 1994, if you don't count all the kiddie rides that have come between then and now.

I say it's Serial Thriller as well.

GE needs to learn from the mistake of being a Six Flags park in Upstate NY. SF just does not give a damn about that region. They keep it around for a little extra revenue, but in the Northeast, it's all about Great Adventure to SF.

Darien Lake has severed its ties to the chain, and things are already looking up for them a couple years later. GE should follow suit, if they want to survive.

I say it's Serial Thriller as well.

GE needs to learn from the mistake of being a Six Flags park in Upstate NY. SF just does not give a damn about that region. They keep it around for a little extra revenue, but in the Northeast, it's all about Great Adventure to SF.

Darien Lake has severed its ties to the chain, and things are already looking up for them a couple years later. GE should follow suit, if they want to survive.

Nobody's under any illusion that GE can compete with Great Adventure. (In fact, it won't ever compete with SFNE or La Ronde, both of which are closer to it than Great Adventure).

It'd just be nice to see them make some steady improvements to keep it interesting. A drop tower and/or an SLC with new trains would be a great start.

• 1 month later...

http://www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/info/News_SasquatchAnnouncement.aspx

Sasquatch Sighting At The Great Escape

The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom announced today the addition of Sasquatch, a new iconic drop ride coming to The Great Escape for the 2009 season. Also on tap for 2009 —Holiday in the Park, a seasonal event featuring holiday shows, festive food and thousands of twinkling lights; as well as $1 million in upgrades to the Beer Garden in the Fest Area that will create an exciting new family venue offering concerts, shows, dining and a variety of entertainment options.

“Six Flags is truly committed to The Great Escape,” said Don McCoy, President of The Great Escape Properties. “In just the last two years, we've added the Tornado, the Mega Wedgie, and Wiggles World. We're now going to provide a thrill ride that's simply stunning. Sasquatch will be equally appealing to teens and tweens and will complement the excitement of the Comet, Steamin' Demon, and Boomerang.”

Sasquatch will be made up of two independent steel towers standing 192 feet tall. The drop ride accelerates guests from ground level to the top of the towers in less than 3 seconds. The initial powered blast creates a force on the rider of 4.5 G. Upon reaching the top, guests are rocketed downward with a 2 G-force before enjoying a series of air-cushioned bounces up and down the tower. Sasquatch will be the tallest thrill ride at The Great Escape and promises to become an iconic symbol of the park's growing importance in the North Country.

Also for 2009, the Beer Garden in the Fest Area will be re-modeled and transformed into a food and entertainment venue. The current cafeteria-style setting will be replaced with a mini-food court. Guests will be able to dine in air-conditioned comfort while taking in a show or concert.

Families will delight in Holiday in the Park, an all-new event for The Great Escape that stretches the season to make it the longest on record. This exciting addition will be a celebration of the different winter holidays featuring holiday-themed shows, traditional food, choirs, carolers, Santa meet-and-greets, and our very own snow hill— for sledding! Guests can make plans now to enjoy Sasquatch, the first-ever Holiday in the Park, as well as the all-new Beer Garden by purchasing a 2009 Season Pass to The Great Escape. 2009 Season Passes are currently available for purchase online at sixflags.com.

A Season Pass to The Great Escape is the best entertainment value in the North Country area offering:

Admission to the theme park this Fall during Oktoberfest and Fright Fest Presented by SNICKERS®; Coupon book with over $300 in real savings & 5 Bring-A-Friend-Free tickets; Unlimited visits during our longest season ever in 2009; and A Season Pass pays for itself in just two visits.

And, when purchased before November 2, guests can save $10 — only $69.99.

The Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark is conveniently located directly across the street from The Great Escape and provides 200 family-friendly suites. A new Season Pass package is available and combines all the fun and excitement of the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark with season passes to The Great Escape. Packages include a two night stay at the Six Flags Great Escape Lodge, admission to White Water Bay indoor waterpark during length of stay, and four 2008 season passes to The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom. Package prices begin at $185 per person, based on four person occupancy. Offer is based on availability. For details, visit SixFlagsGreatEscapeLodge.com or call 888-708-2684.

For more information about The Great Escape & Splashwater Kingdom, call 518-792-3500 or log on to sixflags.com.

Love the Sasquatch name!

As I'm not that familiar with TGE having never visited, in what section of the park will it be located and will it fit the theming of that area? Or will it be like at SFOG for example with ride themes that don't match their respective areas (ala Superman in the Cotton States area)?

The new improvements sound good.

^ I have been told at a GE forum it will be located in the Rainbow's old spot. The rainbow was right next to the entrance and about 50 feet from the road. The area it is going in does not really have a theme, there is a Boomerang, Balloon Race, and 50's themed cars.

^That area has a bit of themeing IMO. It's story town, and theres the Swan Boats, all those little houses and stuff like that. Although I think with a name like Sasquatch it would have fit better in Fest Area, which has an Alpine theme, which would make a lot more sense. The only good reason I can think of for its location is it will look good there, just like the RAinbow did, an eye-catcher for sure.

I'm glad the park is getting some rides. I do wonder whats going to happen to all of the Astroworld coasters.

Astroworld's Shoot-the-Chutes ride and Serial Thriller were sent there in 2005, right off they said that the water ride would not be installed. Serial Thriller isn't going to be installed either anymore. So in a way, they were transported this far for nothing, but at one time I think they did have a plan to install Serial Thriller.

^Oh well, I thought they owned it, but were under some contract from the city. Although that would explain the trouble they are going through with the city.

I'm sure that it is legal if Six Flags is removing these from SFNO, and it should be a great addition to Great Escape. Although a great family park, Great Escape was in need of a large thrill ride like this, and this will be unlike anything in the state.