TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Found these pictures on Screamscape of markings on some trees around Great Escape's Alpine Bobsleds. I wonder if this could be a sign of a possible removal.

It's about time, after all these years of expecting it to leave! As much as I like the bobsled, I think that the low capacity and the downtimes make it worth to be replaced with a better coaster.

I remember a couple of years ago a rumor of a ZacSpin being built here with a WWII plane theme. It was on a guest survey or something. As the S&S 4D coaster seems to be successful at Fiesta Texas, it may be a good replacement for the Bobsleds. It's a nice compact coaster for the smaller park. It could be a great fit.

• 4 weeks later...

The Great Escape has recently announced a new thrill ride coming next season with a partnership with Orange County Choppers, it will be announced live on July 29th. Will it be a new coaster? Or some other thrilling flat? OCC already partnered with Darien Lake for the Motocoaster maybe this will be a new custom version.

For those who like photographic proof:

922690482_occtge.PNG.8dad1d1adb190dde73b2c9c3814d3301.PNG

If you guys get a Motocoaster, I must say that they are really fun rides. The one at Darien Lake is one of my higher ranked coasters and it really packs a punch for its small layout.

^Or maybe Darien Lake is going to sell their Motocoaster to Great Escaspe!

No, just no.

Personally, I would be surprised if it was the announcement for next year's ride, Six Flags usually unveils all of its new rides at once (sept. 3 this year). Although I have no idea what this announcement would be if it wasn't a new ride.

OCC did create a custom bike for Darien Lake at the same time Motocoaster was announced.

They incorporated some theme park elements into the bike such as a Tornado style intake, LED spinning rims (like a ferris wheel), and coaster track going down the bike. It remained on display until two years later, when the licensing deal ended. Then nobody knows what happened to the bike.

1456800684_darienlakeocc.thumb.jpg.fdc0df678c38e5a051634c546933b43e.jpg

Source: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4076/4815967161_2cd411784a_b.jpg

We drove up to TGE on a whim yesterday afternoon for few hrs in the park. Steamin' Demon was a new credit for me and a walk-on. The vertical loop was nice and smooth but the corkscrews were rubbish. Alpine Bobsled was another new credit for me ... suffered through a 45min wait ... and thought the ride was fun. Liked it more than the Mack bobsled at KD because the car really drifts unlike the Mack train.

Hit up a couple slides at the water park. It was pretty slammed so we skipped the Tornado that my partner wanted to do. Black Cobra is one of the twistiest slides I've been on and we agreed it was really great. You barely get wet all - which could be a pro or a con.

Two laps on Comet afterwards were excellent, running much faster than my cold visit on the last day of the season last year. It moved quite far up in my rankings. Two trains and pretty good ops kept waits under 15min toward the end of the day.

After getting a taste for Go Karts a few weeks ago at Coney/Luna (theirs are excellent), Michael wanted to give the Six Flags carts a try. Ugh, overpriced and total fail. Some of the weakest carts I've ever done, not too surprising for a large corporate entity trying to keep the insurance people happy. Closed out the visit with a spin on the indoor scrambler, Blizzard. It was, um, COLD! Fun though.

Comet is one of the most underrated rollercoasters in the world. Nobody talks about it and the ride is an absolute beast.

The Comet is also 69 years old and runs a lot better than some woodies 1/4 its age. I wish that Charlie Wood would have ended up installing it here at Fantasy Island, but we got stuck with an overrated knock off.

After getting a taste for Go Karts a few weeks ago at Coney/Luna (theirs are excellent), Michael wanted to give the Six Flags carts a try. Ugh, overpriced and total fail. Some of the weakest carts I've ever done, not too surprising for a large corporate entity trying to keep the insurance people happy.

True, Go Karts are best left to the independent parks

^I was thinking of places of Great Escape to put a Motocoaster in their park and the old Nightmare at Crack Axe Canyon building came to my mind regardless of weather or not the building that housed the old secondhand coaster from Darien Lake is used to house it or not.

So the big announcement was merely that the OCC guys made a custom bumper car for a jew series they have coming out on A&E, the episode will air February 20th. Unfortunately no new ride announced.

http://m.poststar.com/print-specific/standalone/choppers-stars-visit-great-escape/article_e0a20a99-07eb-584a-b3e6-e7a3beca4468.html?mobile_touch=true