TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

The paint scheme looks good and that makes me think that the park will be keeping it around for a while. I enjoyed my rides last year when they ran the final few cars backwards. Are they still doing that?

When I was there in May, they were turned forward again. The signs still said they were backwards, which really confused me.

I really need to get back up here next year because Alpine Bobsled was closed during my last visit.

Yeah, get one last ride next season before it meets the wrecking ball!

That coaster seems to be a pro at avoiding the wrecking ball despite always being on the chopping block. Just curious, does anyone know what happened to Disaster Transport after it was demolished? I'm wondering if the park may have bought some spare pieces to possibly prolong Alpine Bobsled's lifespan.

^Disaster Transport's coaster was probably scrapped or sent to Kings Dominion for part their bobsled coaster.

It was scrapped and they gave a piece of track and one or two car to the National Coaster Museum. KD couldn't have used it for spare parts, Avalanche is a Mack and DT was an Intamin bobsled.

Is it just me, or does this park look like one of the best Six Flags parks?

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it looks like a beautiful park, it seems layed back, and you don't feel like you have a gun up to your head. Plus I want to really try The Comet.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but I think it looks like a beautiful park, it seems layed back, and you don't feel like you have a gun up to your head. Plus I want to really try The Comet.

The park is very nice but it has the worst operations of any park I've ever been to and that takes away from it a lot. The Comet is the only ride that's run efficiently.

From the pictures of Great Escpae that I've seen from various parts of the internet, it looks like a cross between Darien Lake and Martin's Fantasy Island. The only thing that is going to make me want to go to Great Escape is to get at least one ride on the original Crystal Beach Comet coaster since my other choice which was Nightmare at Crack Axe Canyon is gone ( ).

There's story behind the reason why I wanted to ride Nightmare at Crack Axe Canyon. One time when I went to Darien Lake in 1999, I wanted to ride Nightmare at Phantom Cave, but it wasn't there and for years I wonder whatever happened to it and I found it was moved Great Escape and now I probably never get that credit unless I get a time machine and ride it when it was at Darien Lake or Great Escape!

TBH I think it really is split into two different park's in my opinion. Basically everything past the main bridge to the back half the park is Six flags. Think about it, it's more or less a parking lot. Then there is the other half of the park that includes Story town and ghost town. This part has pretty nice tree cover and ghost town has great themeing IMO. I think they try to keep all the Six flags commercialized stuff outside of storytown and ghost town.

I agree that the park has seemed to a good job maintaining the charm in the front half of the park. Screamin' Eagles looks fantastic and then while Sasquatch was installed in the very front of the park and has blatant advertising, the ride has a good paint job and is surprisingly well themed for a S&S tower.

My biggest gripe with the park is the super weird layout that has the Comet separated from the rest of the park by the water park.

Does Great Escape charge you extra for the water park or is it included with admission?

It would be a royal pain for them if it wasn't since the water park is basically integrated into the ride park. The only way they could ever charge 2 admissions would be if they used a wristband system of some sort, and I don't see that ever happening.

• 7 months later...