TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

I've been pleasantly surprised but I think the park is in good condition a 100% because of Eric Gillbert. The park was on a downward slide with don mccoy and Eric came in and turned the park around. Look before Eric took over The park had a empty Nightmare building, A empty sky 360 dome , and a empty chippers dome. Now flashfoward to today. Nightmare has a haunted house in it.(I still don't think it is using it's space to it's full potential but it's better than empty) Sky 360 is gone with a brand new ride in it's place and Chippers is now Blizzard Indoors. Also you throw in the pink whale and Extreme Supernova and the park is 10x better than it was. Now all they need is a coaster and I see that coming in the near future. Maybe not 2015 but it's coming!

^My thoughts exactly!

Fun fact for everyone: Boomerang is the only non relocated coaster at this park!

I remember how disappointed everyone was including the GP after their first ride on canyon blaster in 2003. I haven't ridden it in probably 5 or 6 year, Let's hope the new coaster isn't like that after 10 years.

Are there still rumors of the park closing the Bobsled, or is it safe for now?
The rumors have never really stopped, every year it seems like it could be it's last year but then you walk in the next year it's still chugging.

I honesstly thought Demon or Bobsled would go for a new coaster but It looks like it could be neither of them with the location of the markers

^ Sadly I think part of the problem with this park is that people just go to it while being in the Lake George area, I am one of the locals who wants to see this park excel but this reason is why SF doesn't invest in this park too much because tourist will still come to it anyway.

I'm also from around the area and all I think they need is a signature steel coaster. I'm content with the size of the park now, I don't want it any bigger in terms of area. So when this coaster comes I would hope it would take the spot of one of the lackluster coasters.

I've said it for a while, Six flags could go years without investing and the attendance would stay the same. Also on the other hand if they invest heavily the attendance wouldn't spike that significantly. That's the one and only reason why TGE is still called " The Great Escape: A Six Flags property" (It's why Six flags hasn't sold it yet)

Annndddd another year in which this park is neglected. A re theme of a children splash area. Real creative six flags, real creative.

From where does this info comes ? There was no official announcement from the park yet and I haven't heard any rumors about that until now. Did I miss something?

Yeah, I just saw it too, my brother sent me a link. That REALLY sucks, I would have been happy with ANYTHING but a waterslide re-theme. I mean, it's not even a new slide complex, they are gonna add some new paint and market it as a "new" attraction ? I think I wouldn't even have complained if it was a new kiddie ride in Kidzopolis.

Coming in Spring 2015! Buccaneer Beach is the ultimate watery playground for families and pirates of all ages. Kids will love splashing down tyke-sized water slides, dodging fun pop-up spray jets, and chilling on the pool deck. Mom and Dad can relax in the shade while their little fishes are busy figuring out new ways to get drenched. Shiver me timbers!

This all-new pirate-themed expansion of the classic Noah’s Sprayground is the perfect spot for family fun. Nothing is too steep or deep, and there are tons of cool structures to climb on and splash around.

Buccaneer Beach is an all-new high seas pirate adventure world made just for kids. This world-class renovation of the beloved kids’ play zone Noah’s Sprayground features countless opportunities to have fun while getting drenched. Set sail for the middle of upper Splashwater Kingdom. There you’ll find a kid-friendly water playground stocked with a vast array of water games, pop-up spray jets, splash pads, and water slides that are the perfect size for children.

The entire beach has been reimagined as a pirate’s paradise, with little pirate ships to climb and water cannons to blast. This dramatic re-imagining of a Great Escape favorite also features a larger pool deck, plus lots of shaded seating for kids and parents to enjoy a cool breeze out of the sun. Coming in Spring 2015, Buccaneer Beach is the ultimate family destination for a kid-friendly, splish-splashin’ good time!

Water play area for our youngest guests

Spray jets

Water slides

Splash pads

Water cannons

Pirate ships

Enlarged pool deck

Expanded seating and shade

Located in Splashwater Kingdom at Great Escape

buccaneerbeachlogo.thumb.jpg.f3a40e1774b5b4272dd75b674129d1b0.jpg

sfam_buccaneerbeach_2012_8107_0.thumb.jpg.39c8784887228fcc6a666df689c7f08e.jpg

sfft_splashwater_2005_01.thumb.jpg.2662f4e1aaa7ba4c3b967cb0f8217fee.jpg

I know they cater to mostly families, specifically young children, but even this is a sad attempt at something new. Essentially it is a makeover of Noah's Sprayground, they could have just refurbished it and added a new kiddie ride(s) or continue to expand its market by adding more thrill rides like Sasquatch and Supernova or even better a coaster, even a family coaster would be nice. I also would like to someday have a dark ride in the park again, and no blizzard doesn't count. A nice spinning coaster would be perfect for this park and wouldn't cost a ton or take a ton of room.

The Great Escape is so incredibly lucky of having its fan base the way it is. Aside from us annoying enthusiasts, 75% of the feedback (comments) on Youtube and Facebook from the park's fan is actually positive, with most peoples beeing happy to see Six Flags investing in a new coat of paint for Noah's Ark. The complete opposite of, let's say, Six Flags Great America, where 95% of the peoples commenting are pissed off that Six Flags commemorates the history of their great park, without seeing the chance they have of getting two massive, epic coasters in 3 years, while some SF haven't seen one in 4,6 years even 12 years in the case of the Great Escape.

Good thing the fanbase of The Great Escape isn't a bunch of Chicago or SoCal-Magic-Mountain kids, because TGE would have closed many, many years ago.

Once again, Six Flags refuses to invest in anything noteworthy at The Great Escape. I don't understand why they keep hanging on to the park if they don't want it to be able to compete .

They don't have completion... anywhere. Darien lake is 4+ hours away and more less sucks, and SFNE is 3+ hours. And that's exactly why SFI is keeping this park. It just makes business sense for them to keep it. Why dump this park off if they can invest things like Buccaneer bay, go 12 years without adding a coaster and still have happy fans. It's almost robbery I guarantee TGE makes more money than you think and just about every penny is sucked out and goes to other parks in the chain when SFI comes back and adds relocated rides and cheap attractions year after year. Really tho how many parks could still survive with this minimal addition and this sub par of a coaster line up. Yeah I would absolutely want SFI to add but in all honesty if I was in their shoes I would probably do the same thing... I would keep adding S**ty additions until attendance forces me to add something bigger. Even with these additions you don't see that many people complaining about lack of coasters and lack of good new rides. The funny thing is attendance has remained just about the same since 2003 when CB was added if not gone up. This trend of relocated and cheap rides isn't gonna end until attendance dips which I juts don't see happening

^

I stand corrected. I guess I can see why Six Flags has always been going on the cheap for The Great Escape. However, if I'm a coaster enthusiast that lives in upstate New York, I, as well as other enthusiasts, would probably be willing to make the longer drive to Six Flags New England.

^

I stand corrected. I guess I can see why Six Flags has always been going on the cheap for The Great Escape. However, if I'm a coaster enthusiast that lives in upstate New York, I, as well as other enthusiasts, would probably be willing to make the longer drive to Six Flags New England.

And quite frankly Si Flags and The Great Escape don't care if you do that. You are spending money at Six Flags.

The Great Escape just caters to a different crowd. If they ignore the 25,000 families that love the park in favor of 500 enthusiasts that live in the area, the park will not exist very long.

^ I get that but a coaster every 12 years isn't gonna drive families away, It didn't seem to drive them away when Premier and Six flags added Boomerang, Bobsled, Nightmare and Canyon blaster in a 6 year span.

I think everyone sees me as someone who wants this to turn into a coaster park and that is completely false. I want ONE COASTER,ONE. One brand new steel and a awesome woodie, is enough for me, they can take the rest of the coasters out for all I care. I think there are too many as it is.

^ I get that but a coaster every 12 years isn't gonna drive families away, It didn't seem to drive them away when Premier and Six flags added Boomerang, Bobsled, Nightmare and Canyon blaster in a 6 year span.

Three of those coasters were used. All it cost the park was shipping and construction costs. Premier/SF brought a lot of coasters within a few years to a few different parks.

Does the Great Escape deserve a new coaster? Hell yes, but so do a lot of other parks in the chain. Great Escape isn't trying to build giant rides, but they haven't forgotten about thrill seekers (Extreme Supernova last year). I'm sure when the time is right, a smaller model coaster will come and impress many people. For now, all TGE fans can do is wait.

The Great Escape is so incredibly lucky of having its fan base the way it is. Aside from us annoying enthusiasts, 75% of the feedback (comments) on Youtube and Facebook from the park's fan is actually positive, with most peoples beeing happy to see Six Flags investing in a new coat of paint for Noah's Ark. The complete opposite of, let's say, Six Flags Great America, where 95% of the peoples commenting are pissed off that Six Flags commemorates the history of their great park, without seeing the chance they have of getting two massive, epic coasters in 3 years, while some SF haven't seen one in 4,6 years even 12 years in the case of the Great Escape.

Good thing the fanbase of The Great Escape isn't a bunch of Chicago or SoCal-Magic-Mountain kids, because TGE would have closed many, many years ago.

Agreed. I'm one of those few people who's happy Six Flags is actually commemorating the park's 40th season, and yet everyone is complaining because they didn't get a new coaster even though we just got Goliath. For the love of god we're probably going to get something exciting in 2016.

As they say, patience is a virtue. It might be wise to practice it.

Back on topic, this looks like a nice family addition to the Great Escape. Very nice indeed.