TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

• 3 months later...

I looked for a Great Escape thread, but did not find one. I apologize if there is one.

I was bored and poking around on rcdb.com, and came across a picture of an slc coaster sitting in a field next to the park. Is this coaster still sitting there, or is it up and running at a park? If not at Great Escape, than where?

Picture...

http://rcdb.com/3425.htm

Why has this coaster not been built at Great Escape? If one park needs a coaster like this, it would be this park.

When Astroworld closed, Six Flags decided to some most rides to other parks. Some went up immediately like Big Kahuna at Darien Lake but others sat in storage. Some rides were moved to the two NY SF parks probably due to location. Great Adventure, SF New England, Darien Lake, La Ronde etc. were in a relatively close range.

Were there plans to set it up at Great Escape? I don't know but there may have been until it was decided that Great Escape would be a family park. I remember at one time there were plans to develop it into a major park in the chain. To this day the Batman coaster sits in a lot across the street from Darien Lake rusting away. It may have been set up somewhere else is SF still had control of the park, but when it was sold, nobody really knew what to do with it.

^Personally I hope that the Batman clone will continue to rust, I've been on its canadian cousin at La Ronde (le Cobra) and it's pretty bad!

However, to come back on the subject, as much as I would like the Great Escape to have more coasters and more thrill rides, I think 6F makes a good decision of keeping it more as a family park. That's part of the charm of the park and what makes it so different, in my opinion. They could for sure benefit of one good steel coaster (although it could be more familial and fun at the same time, like a small launched coaster), but transforming it into the Cedar Point of the New York state would "ruin" the park, or at least its atmosphere.

This is very un-Six Flagsish, the king of minimal theming.

There's a reason they don't have the Six Flags moniker attached to the name. They actually care, haha.

What I would like to see happen to the park is a Kickass Euro Fighter in Bobsleds spot and part of Go kart's spot. Use the remaining space for a slide tower. Especially since Pirate is gone I see that area changing quite a bit soon.

After that I want Six Flags to do nothing but family oriented stuff. They need one standout steel to attract enthusiast, that in my eyes is the one thing they are missing.

I would love a big El-Loco like the one they just opened at Adventuredome, I think it would fit very well in the space of the Go-Karts and the pirate ship. With some sort of theming, of course!

I would love a big El-Loco like the one they just opened at Adventuredome, I think it would fit very well in the space of the Go-Karts and the pirate ship. With some sort of theming, of course!

Id be fine with almost anything (almost ) but they need something! I like the family atmosphere, but other parks have that same feeling and still have some great roller coasters (example: Hershey Park) the park does have potential, heck it has its own hotel which no other six flags park has. If they started getting some smaller coasters now like El Loco they could increas attendance and then slowly get bigger rides like a Sky Screamer or a Mega Lite in place of Seamin' Demon. They should stop focusing on the water park and work more on the theme park. Okay im done with my rant.

• 3 months later...

Someone at SFNE Online spotted some construction markers near The Boomerang, between the waiting line and the Storytown Train's rails. Could this be for the 2015 addition ?

new_geupdate7.jpg.b8a321ec3b1746114732d5d637f971c3.jpg

Here are the markers. Credit to SFNE online.

Here's the location on Google Earth for anyone not sure where this is. This picture also allows us to see that there's quite a bit of space available for whatever's gonna be there.

new_google_earth.PNG.7fe15d23abdf42b15e8814bb7adad7b0.PNG

Credits to Google Earth and the snipping tool in Windows.

This park is not like most Six Flags parks, because they want to gear it towards families. The park's official name is "The Great Escape- A Six Flags Park".

There is advertising within, for example the Sasquatch ride was presented by Jack Links, and I believe that Starburst advertised on either Steamin Demon or the Boomerang. Maybe it was Stride, I' not completely sure.

^^I think that's actually a good thing, I think TGE benefits from not beeing branded by DC Comics and other Six Flags brands. Sure they have ads wrapped around Boomerang trains and there used to be Wiggles and Looney Tunes, but now they are gone and the park benefits to have some theming custom to the region (Timbertown), and also keep its Storytown charm with the little houses and the original theme. Six Flags does a very good job adding new while keeping the old in good shape, and the Pink Whale's return last year was another proof that SF actually somewhat cares about this park.

Still curious to see what the new addition will be, I've been debating with my brother about what could be built in that spot yesterday afternoon. Considering the absence of serious rumors until now this just made me excited for the announcement in a week. Don't disappoint me Great Escape !

Also...

There is advertising within, for example the Sasquatch ride was presented by Jack Links, and I believe that Starburst advertised on either Steamin Demon or the Boomerang. Maybe it was Stride, I' not completely sure.

Starbust advertises within the park but did not present a ride. If I remember well Stride used to sponsor the Boomerang and is now presented by Twix. Steamin Demon had some Poly-O and Axe ads on it as well, but now there's none.

I always loved how most members here forget about this park when speculating, then are excited by the addition the park receives. Supernova and the water slides were both great additions, and fit really well into the lineup. The park even did a good job with Blizzard, as it usually has a full line from what I have heard.

Great Escape is a bit of a far ride for me from what they offer. I have been waiting for another large addition to visit again.