TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

Great Escape is not getting a ZacSpin.

Great Escape is not getting a launched coaster. Unless it is a family version.

They are getting a coaster this year.

These are off of their facebook

we have something EXTREMEly exciting coming in 2014. . stay tuned. .

Should we wait until the park looks like this to share our SUPER news? Or do you want to know now?

Getting pretty defensive there.

I have at least three reliable sources saying they are getting a coaster. both in and out of Six flags. Don't think the new members know nothing.

Along with those sources Jim Reid Anderson came right out and said in a interview with the local press that 2014 was going to be a huge year for the park. This was back in 2012 so its not the week before marketing strategy to get people excited this was long in advance. Along with Jim, Don Mccoy the formal president of TGE said 2014 was going to be big before he left for discovery kingdom. And right when Eric Gilbert became president he said he had big plans for 2014.

And don't ban me until the announcement when I'll show you you are wrong

I'd love for a nice steel coaster to be added to compliment the Comet. I enjoy the Alpine Bobsled a lot and they have a smooth Boomernag, but neither are exceptional attractions. I'm definitely going to listen in on their announcement Thursday to see if they get anything worth going back for.

I also wish they had another thrilling flat. They have a pretty solid collection of flat rides, but I feel like something like a frisbee would really help round out their ride selection as well. Soarin' Eagles was a nice addition that can be ridden by everyone, but other than Sasquatch, Blizzard, and maybe Condor, they don't have any really intense flat rides.

I remember back when I visited the park in 2011 there were hints that Alpine Bobsled didn't have many years left. The ride is almost thirty years old after all, and it's not the park's only family coaster, so while there haven't been any recent rumors I wouldn't be surprised to see the ride retired after this season. As for a new coaster, my guess is a Eurofighter similar in scale to Dare Devil Dive (around 2000 ft long, less than 100 ft tall, and thrilling but not overly intense). However, knowing Six Flags they may give Great Escape a new coaster on the cheap and just ship Ragin' Cajun over from Six Flags Great America as that is rumored to be removed after this season. Either way, Great Escape is due for a new coaster, and if they had more than one good coaster I'd consider returning next time I visit the North East.

Getting pretty defensive there.

I have at least three reliable sources saying they are getting a coaster. both in and out of Six flags. Don't think the new members know nothing.

Along with those sources Jim Reid Anderson came right out and said in a interview with the local press that 2014 was going to be a huge year for the park. This was back in 2012 so its not the week before marketing strategy to get people excited this was long in advance. Along with Jim, Don Mccoy the formal president of TGE said 2014 was going to be big before he left for discovery kingdom. And right when Eric Gilbert became president he said he had big plans for 2014.

And don't ban me until the announcement when I'll show you you are wrong

Larry never said the park wasn't getting a new coaster--you're the one who's being "defensive" here. As you're a new member, perhaps you should review our Terms of Service (particularly item 2) before posting again.

Yeah a giga is impossible with the 200ft cap. The park will probally never even see a mega. They may get a couple feet leeway on the limit but not much.

Bob sled won't be removed for a while as Six flags will probably fill nightmare area before removing anything. Nightmare area has a much bigger footprint and could fit a much bigger coaster. They own a lot of land behind there also they could go into the woods a little if wanted to

I also hope whatever coaster they get is new since they haven't gotten a new coaster since 1997, and that was the Boomerang. Though if construction hasn't started yet, I really wonder how big the ride could be.

Could the park reuse the old Nightmare building? I could see them putting a coaster like Rajin' Cajun in there. One funny note, if the park got SFGAm's Rajin' Cajun, it would be the second relocated Rajin' Cajun that they received since the Steamin' Demon was called that in its old location.

Would be nice if they moved SFGAm's Ragin' here and renamed it Rolling Thunder.

Speaking of the Bobsled, holy crap have they gotten their money's worth out of that ride! Three parks over thirty years?!

Also: what's the story with Steamin' Demon? How exactly did it end up in NY from LA? Were there any modifications made when it was moved? That paint job is certainly interesting (considering how the Great America Demon rides have stayed black all these years).

I loved this park on the TPR Northeast Trip, I felt it was very non-Six Flags and I remember enjoying the time we spent there. I "think" this park does need a new coaster but not something huge due to the fact that its more of a family park more then a thrill seekers park. I just hope it always stays family friendly because not every park has to be a "Great Adventure"

Would be nice if they moved SFGAm's Ragin' here and renamed it Rolling Thunder.

Speaking of the Bobsled, holy crap have they gotten their money's worth out of that ride! Three parks over thirty years?!

Also: what's the story with Steamin' Demon? How exactly did it end up in NY from LA? Were there any modifications made when it was moved? That paint job is certainly interesting (considering how the Great America Demon rides have stayed black all these years).

I don't think any modifications were made when it was relocated since it looks no different than any other Arrow Loop and Corkscrew. The paint scheme definitely is interesting and I love its location at the very front of the park. It's a very nice sight from the parking lot.

I loved this park on the TPR Northeast Trip, I felt it was very non-Six Flags and I remember enjoying the time we spent there. I "think" this park does need a new coaster but not something huge due to the fact that its more of a family park more then a thrill seekers park. I just hope it always stays family friendly because not every park has to be a "Great Adventure"

I really hope it stays family friendly, but some of the charm was slowly fading until this year. A lot of the park's older attractions were being removed and small bits of theming were being replaced. However, this year it seems like the management is trying to restore of of the park's charm as they readded the Pink Whale and also put their Scrambler back indoors.

main_LKGExtremeSupernova1.jpg.7b1c8d07ecf7826c997de8ad6c65df46.jpg

It’s official. Coming in 2014, The Great Escape will introduce a high- flying, spinning adventure. The all-new Extreme Supernova will lift riders up 50 feet in the air and flip them head-over-heels for a wild, adrenaline-packed adventure. Supernova will feature impressive heights, astonishing speeds, heart-racing swings, unpredictable spins, and stomach-tightening flips. This new attraction will provide an adrenaline rush like no other and you won’t be able to tell which way is up in this giant pendulum.

You’ll take a seat with 15 other bold riders and load into the giant pendulum-shaped structure. Suspended from the axis above, you’ll face outward as the floor drops from below you. You’ll first complete several back and forth swings, high and low, elevating up near-vertically before flying through to the other side. The thrill ride plays on your anticipation as you wait for the next pivot that will flip you entirely upside down in a gut-wrenching inverted flip. The Extreme Supernova offers fantastic inverted views of the park and Splashwater Kingdom as you hang up in the air and twist upside down.

While the giant arm sways you, you’ll also be spinning in circles simultaneously, twisting around and around until you can’t see straight. The constant swinging and whirling will deliver maximum G-forces, high-flying sensations, and extreme dizziness.

The Extreme Supernova is set to debut in spring 2014 and will sit next to The Comet. Are you ready to take on this all-new spinning ride?

Zamperla is introducing their own version of it:

1185437_10153120449845573_533049663_n.jpg

It hasn't appeared on their website yet, but their Facebook page refers to it as their newest offering, the Discovery Revolution. Given the picture used in TGE's promo is from the non-inverting version at Luna Park (moon shape visible on the right), I think this might be the one they are getting.