TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme parks without coasters

They are a rare breed, but would you visit a Cred-less theme park? I know this will divide opinion as many theme park fans also like a 'culture cred' ...whilst other people won't see the point in going out their way if there's no creds to be had!

The coaster is seen as the beating 'heart' of many theme parks and amusement parks - but a roller coaster isn't needed to be a 'theme' park in the true sense- this throws up some good questions about what constitutes a theme park... an amusement park... a 'visitor attraction'.

Also worth a note that Disneyland was Cred-less for it's first 4 years of operation - and then only had one coaster for 18 years!

Some examples of current parks I can think of are that fit this description include:-

Puy Du Fou (France) - This place looks Immense - basically a park based on very well themed historical stunt shows and spectaculars - definitely airs more on the entertainment side of things on the 'edutainment' spectrum

Futuroscope (France) - Multi-media theme park based on cinematic innovation - 3D,4D and Imax shows, simulators etc

Pairi Daiza (Belgium) - Okay so this is a Zoo - But a VERY immersively themed and detailed zoo/botanical gardens and cultural attraction.

Huis Ten Bosch (Japan) - Massive Dutch themed park - has every type of non-ride 'attraction' under the sun - 3D/4D cinemas, Audio-animatronic shows, Mirror mazes, walk throughs, a chocolate 'experience', ice palace/bar, high ropes course, fountain shows, Optical illusion museum, teddy bear museum, scare mazes etc.

Sanrio Puroland (Japan) - Hello Kittyland!

Moonmin world (Finland) - Moomin themed park

Namjatown (Japan) - Indoor theme park based on interactive games and food (including weird ice cream flavours)

Watermouth Castle (UK) - Eccentric British theme park based in and around a castle, Aimed at kids but the type of place Adults would appreciate in a creepy animatronic so-bad-its-awsome/charming way.

anyone know any others? or been to any of the above? and what are your opinion of credless parks? (not including water-parks) What would they need to draw you in?

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from Epcot I probably wouldn't specifically seek out a park without a coaster in the U.S. but I would absolutely visit if I happened to be in the area.

Also, I feel like this is probably a good time to point out once again how much I enjoy Funland in Rehoboth Beach despite the fact that they've never had a coaster and most likely never will.

Depending what type of place it is really but I prefer places with rides. Whats weird is I have this book from years ago that includes every amusement park/theme park in America and Canada. Its called The Amusement Park Guide. 5th addition The author for some reason decided to include places like Kentucky Action Park and Riding Stables, Dutch Village,Clarks Trading Post,or Circle M Corral Family Fun Park which i found pretty odd. To me those type of places arnt considered amusement parks or theme parks more like tourist attractions. The author also included some typical FECs too.. Where the only rides are just go-carts ,bumper boats,and kiddie rides only ....typical FEC stuff. I guess everyone has different taste though i prefer to visit somewhere with world class thrill rides oppose to a glorified horse stable themed tourist trap....*yawn* However a place like Epcot does seem like it would be a cool and fun place to be. Also nothing against the cheesy roadside type attractions but I prefer full fledged amusement parks with you know thrill rides or/and world class theme parks that you would feel like you are in another world.

OMG, the word "credless" is pukeworthy.

Aside from that, yes, one of my very favourite amusement parks is Chicago's Navy Pier. Such a cool place to hang out, with shops, restaurants, museums, all out on Lake Michigan. It's a wonderful place to spend an evening, even if you ride nothing.

Robin hill in the Isle of Wight is a cred less theme park, but they are moving away from calling themselves a theme park and calling it a country park. It has a pirate ship and a motion simulator and a toboggan run (Like an alpine coaster, just on a metal chute slide thing, it is pretty fun and the closest thing to an alpine coaster I have done.)

Maybe I'm a little biased because I used to work there but Epcot is everything a theme park should be and it doesn't have a coaster. Hell, World Showcase is in my opinion the best part of the park and one of the greatest theme park sections ever built despite only having two rides. It is awe inspiring and detailed in a way where I can't imagine ever being bored there. Something that truly stands out to me is the reaction guests would have to IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth. Every night when working crowd control for the show I would see guests who were moved to the point of tears by the spectacle. I believe that this is a testament to how as a whole, Epcot is magical and inspiring in a way that would make Walt Disney himself proud despite not being the EPCOT he envioned before he died.

OMG, the word "credless" is pukeworthy.

Aside from that, yes, one of my very favourite amusement parks is Chicago's Navy Pier. Such a cool place to hang out, with shops, restaurants, museums, all out on Lake Michigan. It's a wonderful place to spend an evening, even if you ride nothing.

Chicago Funhouse Maze was awesome in 2004.

Do Waterparks count? Cause I remember having fun at Magic Waters in Rockford.

And while not a park, I did enjoy Lexington Ice & Mini Golf. $10 for unlimited Mini-Golf

Epcot is the only park without a coaster I've been to. It's interesting, my first visit to Epcot at age 10 I didn't care for the park because all I wanted to do was ride rides. When I returned for a second visit at age 23 I LOVED the place, World Showcase is absolutely amazing. It ended up being my favorite part of my 2016 Disney trip.

Although since around 2006 (I think) it's had a credit, Tokyo Disney Sea didn't have a credit when it opened and it looked amazing even then (though I've never been there myself). EPCOT again needs a mention as it's (to my recollection) the only cred-less park I've been to in the last few years.

You could possibly even expand this to include large malls with rides (like Palisades Center) or entertainment areas in cities (Pier 39 in San Francisco). Many large entertainment areas feature at least one ride now, even if it's just a carousel or Ferris wheel.

I was able to go to Animal Kingdom prior to its grand opening in 1998, which would have been 2 years before it had a coaster, so I liked it then and after they added with Primeval whirl, it didn't really make the park any better until later on when they really started adding larger E-ticket attractions.

They are a rare breed, but would you visit a CredIT-less theme park?

Well considering my last visit to SDC was pretty much a credit-less trip. (Obviously the park does have credits, but they were all closed due to tempatures.)

You know what?? Even though we didn't get to ride anything it was still an enjoyable trip. It was nice to get away from home, get out and enjoy they he fresh air, and still enjoy the environment.

So yes, if we were to come across a CredIT-less theme park would we go? Most likely. . . Now if the CredIT-less theme park were right next to a major theme park, probably not... Or the CredIT-less theme park might be something we would visit after we left the major park if we were looking for something to do while in town.

As many have said, EPCOT has zero credits and it's still one of my favorite theme parks. . . To the point I actually prefer it to some of the other credit filled Disney parks, and no Disney parks.