TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

I admit it: I close my eyes on flying coasters, too

It's one of those things I've never mentioned because I don't get a peek at anyone else while riding a flying coaster, but I see from recent reports that I'm not the only one who instinctively closes his eyes during unusual flying coaster elements. Can I get an amen here? Simply stated, they're weird.

There's something about pretzel and vertical loops on flyers that make me go, "WOW - this is incredi...get it over with! Get it over with! Dear lord! Okay, I'm good..." Every time. These are the only coaster elements that I don't seem to get used to, and the only ones that make my body tighten in protest to let me know that what I'm doing just isn't right. Unlike "natural" elements and maneuvers, these seem to be as unnatural as it gets. If a bird or plane performs a head-first pretzel loop, that bird or plane is probably experiencing technical difficulties.

Personally, I think they're a bit of a Pyrrhic experience in that I appreciate the extreme wildness, but they can zap my stamina and dampen my re-riding spirit. I also think it's interesting that despite talk of trims and uninspired layouts nibbling around the edges of B&M sentiment, the company has produced some flat-out insane elements on its flyers. Robb's report showing off some of the craziness of Flying Dinosaur at USJ is another one to appreciate.

I really don't know whether I love or loath these elements, but they stand out so much in terms of intensity that I'm interested to see what TPR feels about them. I see them listed frequently, but without much elaboration, in both "favorite elements" and "least favorite elements" threads, and I'd love to read some fleshed-out opinions.

C0rGPXxUoAEnVCa.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I cannot recall if I kept my eyes open or not (I think they were open), that moment when you start diving on Manta (particularly in the backseat) was one of very few moments that has given me that "OH F*CK" feeling!

The only coasters I always keep my eyes closed on (at least for part of the ride) are Vekoma boomerangs during the backwards portion of the ride. The reason is that if I don't, I get extremely dizzy (more so than I would on most spinning flat rides) and sometimes nauseous.

While I don't close my eyes on any rides or coasters, I will admit that flying coasters are the only rides where my irrational fear of the restraints failing kicks in. Every time I ride Superman at SFGAdv, I always get afraid my fat ass will cause the restraints to pop open as we descend down the first drop.

My first ever coaster inversion was Superman: Ultimate Flight @SFGAm's Pretzel Loop so I've never had a problem personally with thinking flyers are too extreme or unsafe. I'd probably close my eyes on the lift hill of a Vekoma flying dutchman though. Not out of fear, but because I wouldn't want to stare directly into the sunlight

No eye closing from me, but I find the ride position to be generally unpleasant. The combination of forces pushing you into the restraints and the constant neck craning required to see where you're going takes away much of the thrill for me, putting these models more into the endurance-test category that minimizes fun. While I've ridden a few flyers, Tatsu is the most notorious example of this. For me, the lift hill is by far the best and most thrilling part of the ride. Much of the rest is just a blur of trees / sky / restraint pressure. The pretzel is pretty great, but it's a spine-rattler.

I can never close my eyes on any rides. Gives me vertigo.

Close enough.

Edit:

I rode Superman @ SFGAdv, and that was the scariest part for me (this was many years ago). I went again a few years later and had bad memories of the pretzel loop, so I was a little unsure about riding. I went on anyway because I just have a "the worst part(s) is/are over really quick and then it's fun" mentality when I ride coasters that intimidate me (usually new ones).

Pretzel loops are probably one of the most unique elements you can have on a coaster, but sometimes its intensity sorts out the brave vs the meek and the strong vs the weak

Edited by PixelRush

I couldn't keep my eyes open the first time on a flyer. For some reason the hangtime roll on Banshee just makes me contract and close my eyes, i think it's the old, "i'm a fat guy and i'm going to fall out of this thing." syndrome."

Edited by firewalk13

I rode Manta last week for the first time and we got off the train and looked in disbelief that the pretzel loop could exist, but in the most positive way possible. I absolutely love obnoxiously intense elements and the pretzel loop is one of them for me. Same with the entrance to Montu's batwing in the back row.

That said, I can understand why you wouldn't enjoy them. It's a weird sense of being out of control with your body in such a position.

I may close my eyes as a reflex during pretzel loops, but not necessarily out of fear. I think the most frightening parts of B&M flying coasters are the lift hills...just staring down at the ground which is getting farther and farther away from you, with all of your weight on the restraints.

Pretzel loops and vertical loops on flying coasters are easily some of my favorite elements, eyes open or closed.

I wouldn't close my eyes during pretzel loop or vertical loop on a flying coaster/Flying Dutchman, but I get the butterfly in the stomach sensation like those during airtime and launch. Those elements are not scary for me but they feel very awkward somehow.

Taatsu and Sky Scrapper are both insane and I definitely screamed out loud during the pretzel loop and the vertical loop.