TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

2019 Season Update

1. Skyrush

2. Steel Vengeance

3. Expedition GeForce

4. Superman The Ride

5. Goliath (SFOG) - Moved up a few spots. Ran the fastest I've ever seen it. Airtime and forces can sometimes feel more Intamin than B&M

6. Phantom's Revenge

7. Magnum XL-200

8. Schwur des Karnan

9. Fujiyama - Epic, long, good air, and great views of Mt. Fuji. I found its airtime abrupt like Magnum and not at all painful

10. Nitro

11. Superman el Ultimo Escape

12. Bandit - Similar sentiments to Fujiyama, but less intense and on a smaller scale with much crappier trains

13. Mako

14. Silver Star

15. Diamondback

16. Apollo's Chariot

17. Titan

18. Goliath (SFMM)

19. Thunder Dolphin - Has nothing going for it after the first drop besides the setting. Too tame for a ride this unique at this size

20. Raging Bull

21. Intimidator

22. Steel Force

23. Mamba

24. Desperado

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10. Superman:ROS (SFA)

Is this because you havent ridden the SFDL version or some other reason?

Ive mostly seen SFDL's placed slightly above based on terrain/location.

I have not been to Darien Lake. I'm a massive fan of hypers, and actually really like all of the coasters on my list but Superman @ SFA was running like complete assdirt last time I was there in early 2019, so it gets the gasface. I'd almost take Steel Force over it tbh.

I am a little torn on how to put together a list. Different manufacturers give totally different rides. Also, to me, a hyper coaster is more of a "style" and not a strict 200-foot threshold. For example, I consider rides like La Ronde's Goliath and Hollywood Dream to be hyper coasters, but not Cannibal or Xcelerator. Regardless, I am going to group mine by manufacturer because I feel that is the most fair way to rank them. And even though I feel like gigas are just a sub-group of hyper coasters, I will exclude them.

Intamins:

1. Skyrush (by far)

2. Superman the Ride

3. Superman: Ride of Steel

B&Ms:

1. Nitro

2. Goliath SFOG

3. Intimidator

4. Diamondback

Morgan, Arrow, and the rest:

1. Magnum XL-200

2. Desperado

3. Titan

4. Goliath SFMM

5. Steel Force

Well, I've ridden A LOT more hyper coasters since this post. So....time to update the list. Anything bold, I've ridden since my original post.

1. Expedition Ge Force - So much variety. So much airtime. It's as good as everyone claims

2. Superman (SFNE) - I heard this ride went downhill when it went back to being Superman, which makes me sad since I loved it as Bizarro. Lots of great airtime, and that twisty section at the end was great.

3. Phantom's Revenge - A ton of airtime, nice custom layout. Love the 2nd drop

* .Intamin Mega-Lites (Piraten & Kawesami) - I know most people consider the Mega-Lites to be too small. But...they're not too much smaller than something like Steel Eel, which also fails the 200 ft mark. Didn't officially rank it, but this is where I'd put it. And besides, the Mega-Lites are amazing rides.

4. Goliath (SFOG) - Best B&M Hyper (Not counting Gigas cause then Fury 325 would be way up there). Downward Helix on Goliath > Upward Helix on Nitro.

5. Behemoth - Really good B&M Hyper

6. Diamondback - Another really good B&M Hyper

7. Nitro - Yet another really good B&M Hyper

8. Fujiyama - Very underrated ride. Really good airtime, and some strong laterals. I don't care about the coat-hanger transitions at the end! Big thumbs up!

9. Magnum XL 200 - Love the ejector air on the bunny hops back. I don't care if its brutal and hurts.

10. Steel Eel - A small, but fun ride.

11. Intimidator - Whether the trims are on or off will really make a difference with this ride

12. Superman: Ride of Steel (SFA) - While it does have some strong airtime, there's too much straight track and dull moments. That giant helix might as well be straight track.

13. Thunder Dolphin - The setting in the middle of Tokyo is what makes this ride. The layout itself is kind of bland. Great first drop, but the rest of the ride feels really constrained and boxed in. Would be much lower if not for the stunning view of Tokyo and....being in Tokyo.

14. Raging Bull - Love the first drop. Would be so much better without that trim on the 3rd hill.

15. Apollo's Chariot - This ride is fun. Has some decent floater air. But man. This is an overrated B&M Hyper

16. Goliath (La Ronde) - Not the best, but it's a fun ride.

17. Silver Star - It may be my least favorite B&M Hyper, but I still enjoyed it. Plus, I'm at freaking Europa Park. Best park ever!

18. Desperado - Hey. I find it underrated. It's not nearly as rough as people make it out to be.

19. Hollywood Dream - Oh yeah. Forgot about this B&M Hyper. I take back what I said about Silver Star. Fun little mini-hyper. Oh, and make sure you ride it backwards as Backdrop. SO MUCH BETTER that way!

20. Titan (SFOT) - Twisty bits and helixes are fun, but airtime is really what hyper coasters are for.

21. Goliath (SFMM) - It's Titan, only missing a helix.

22. Steel Force - Sorry, but I just did not care for the Morgan Trio. Eh, at least it had some airtime.

23. Mamba - Another one of the Morgan Trio. It has some head choppers.

24. Wild Thing - The final addition of the Morgan Trio.

25. Bandit (Youmiriland) - Don't really think of this as a hyper coaster. But other people are ranking it, and I suppose it counts as a Mini-Hyper. So might as well rank it. Fun ride. But nothing too special. Then again, I might be speaking better of it if I got more than 1 ride on it.

2020 Update (Counting all coasters officially over 200 feet, and under 300 feet)

1. Steel Vengeance

2. Phantom's Revenge

3. Behemoth

4. Mako

5. Diamondback

6. Yukon Striker

7. Nitro

8. Skyrush

9. Apollo's Chariot

10. Raging Bull

11. Mamba

12. Magnum

13. Wild Thing

14. Intimidator

15. Goliath (SFMM)

I haven't ridden too many hypers, but they are definitely my favorite ride type!

(gigas are letters)

A. Fury 325

1. Diamondback

B. Millennium Force

2. Magnum XL-200

3. Nitro

4. Intimidator Carowinds

5. Goliath (SFMM)

6. Fujiyama

7. Son of Beast

(I'm assuming rides such as Steel Vengeance, Cannibal, Eejanaika, X2, Valravn, Kingda Ka, TTD, and other 200+ ft rides aren't being counted since they're not really the "hyper" type)

• 3 weeks later...

I've ridden more 200-299 feet coasters but I'm only ranking those that are actually marketed as hyper coasters (so no Wicked Twister, Valravn, etc)

1. Expedition GeForce (my #1)

2. Steel Vengeance

3. Mako

4. Magnum XL-200

5. Raging Bull

6. Diamondback

7. Goliath SFMM

True Hypers (Not counting X2 or XCelerator or Mr Freeze or Valravn…. You get the idea)

1. Steel Vengeance

2. Magnum XL-200

3. Diamondback

4. Goliath (SFOG)

5. Intimidator

6. Raging Bull

7. Desperado

8. Titan

9. Goliath (SFMM)

Raging Bull gets a lot of crap about that trim on hill #3, but that layout really does it for me. Definitely the most interesting of all the big B&M coasters. Add Magnum, Phantom's and Apollo (straight sections of track rock) to my list. After that, they are all the same to me, especially the B&Ms.

• 5 months later...

1. Steel Vengeance

2. Skyrush

3. Superman: The Ride (SFNE)

4. Phantoms Revenge

5. Mako

6. Candymonium

7. Nitro

8. Magnum XL200

9. Goliath (SFOG)

10. Apollos Chariot

11. Superman:ROS (SFA)

12. Steel Force

1. Steel Vengeance (Cedar Point)

2. Schwur des Kärnan (Hansa)

3. Skyrush (Hersheypark)

4. Phantom's Revenge (Kennywood)

5. Nitro (SF Great Adventure)

6. Apollo's Chariot (BG Williamsburg)

7. Superman: Ride of Steel (SF America)

8. Diamondback (Kings Island)

9. Thunder Dolphin (TokyoDome)

10. Hyperion (Energylandia)

Since Leviathan is technically a giga coaster, I won't include it on my list below. So, here is my favourite hyper coaster list based on the hyper coasters I've been on:

1.Behemoth

2.Diamondback

3.Steel Force

I am hoping to make my first visit to Kennywood next summer in order to take a ride on Phantom's Revenge as it looks like an amazing hyper coaster!

Below is an update to my Favourite Hyper Coaster list that was originally created in December of 2016. Since then, I have been able to ride some great hyper coasters, especially in 2017 and 2018 as I had done a few small roads trips those two summers. The list goes from most favourite to least favourite.

1. Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland

2. Goliath at La Ronde

3. Ride of Steel at Six Flags Darien Lake

4. Nitro at Six Flags Great Aventure

5. Diamondback at Kings Island

6. Steel Force at Dorney Park

7. Superman - The Ride at Six Flags New England

Since I was unable to travel this year due to obvious reasons, I hope to ride some more awesome hyper coasters in the near future!

This is still really hard for me to answer but I'll keep the description simple and assume we're talking about what most people would consider a hypercoaster (no inversions... not Orion because IDGAF about stupid technicalities etc.) and say that I love them all but gun to my head I actually might say Superman El Último Escape at Six Flags Mexico now that I've been on it.

Edited by coasterbill

^It's honestly one of the most underrated coasters there is. Labels like that get thrown around a lot, but in this case I think it's absolutely true. Probably aided by the lower ridership compared to other hypers.

...and say that I love them all but gun to my head I actually might say Superman El Último Escape at Six Flags Mexico now that I've been on it.

Very true words, here. I rode it in the TPR Mexico Tour, in 2013.

Absolutely astounded at how well it rode, etc. etc.

And the whole park itself, felt nice (and different enough).

Missed the Medusa tranformation, though.