TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top/Favorite Hyper Coasters

Well, after my park trips this past weekend. . . Looks like I need to update my list.

1.) Nitro (finally stealing this spot from Diamondback)

2.) Diamondback

3.) Magnum-XL 200

4.) Superman Ride Of Steel: SFA

5.) Apollo's Chariot

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Superman (SFNE)- So far in 2017 they have this ride running amazingly well again. The airtime is amazing, the helixes are intense, the tunnels are awesome, the drop is awesome. If only they could get rid of those bad trains and bring back the old ones, it'd definitely be my #1 overall.

2. Fury 325- This ride is really really overrated but still great. It's got a good drop but I honestly like Superman's better. The only spot where I thought it was forceful was the treble clef but I can't stress how amazing the treble clef is. The airtime is pretty nice at the end too. The helix felt out of place and didn't really do much for me. Great ride but no where near as good as people say.

3. Nitro- I'll be honest the first time I rode this ride I rode it in the back and thought it kinda sucked. Then, I rode it in the front and fell in love with it. The floater air is amazing, the bunny hops after the MCBR are amazing, and the helix is so insanely forceful. A night ride in the front is unbelievable.

4. Intimidator- Kinda like with Nitro, I thought it was a bit weak in the back. Then I rode it in the front and I really enjoyed it. The floater are is great but that's all the ride really has going for it. It's mostly force less and the trims really kill it. Still a fun coaster tho.

I'll be able to add I305 and Skyrush to this list hopefully later this year. Can't wait!

I'v only ridden 4 actual hypers So I place them in the order below. And Even though their not above 200ft, they follow the style of hypers so Expedition Geforce and Goliath at Walibi would be in at number 2 & 3

1.Shambhala - Miles above any other

2.Silver Star - Very much like nitro but I liked it.

3.Nitro - Kinda of forceless but regardless a fun ride.

4.The Big one..... The Blackpool Monorail ZZZzzzzz

Just 8 weeks until I get to ride Mako, Millennium force, Magnum etc i'm very excited.

Including giga's

1: MForce (Yeah not very forceful but you can't beat the combo of speed, pace, flow and glass smoothness. Long ride too. Would like more air but it's kind of the perfect hyper)

2: Skyrush

3: I305 (Awesome but a "tough" ride and the trim hill )

4: Bizarro

5: Nitro (Got it all, speed, sustained strong floater airtime, great flow/pace and some great force in the helix. Still one of the most forceful things I've experienced. The last time I rode it, the airtime was very lacking and the ride felt slower. Not sure if it was just a bad ride or permanent change. I've not been to Great Adventure in 5 years now)

200-299 footers

1: Skyrush

2: Bizarro

3: Nitro

4: Apollo's Chariot (simple but so fun)

5: Superman @ Darien Lake. (Actually very fun. Feels very fast, lots of good air, smooth. I'd probably rank it higher if it didn't have the long straightaways, (how hard would it be to just add another bunny hill or two in there?? ))

I love hypers. "Sense of speed" is something that can top all else for me, and I just love fast, flowing coasters. So it's hard for me to not like a hyper. I really enjoy Magnum and I'll just say it: I even like Steel Force. Obviously it's not great, but it doesn't need to be great to be fun for me, I just like the speed and length. Ya know, even Goliath @SFMM, I did ride it many times that day and found it really fun despite its flaws, which probably make it the worst hyper I've been on.

I will add Phantom's Revenge in a month, very excited. Also possibly Mako. Shall see if either can crack the list.

Edited by JJLehto

I'm not sure if I've posted in this thread, but oh well, I'll post again anyway. My opinion has probably changed anyway!

1. Skyrush

- appropriate gap -

2. Nitro

3. Superman the Ride (SFNE)

4. Diamondback

5. Superman: Ride of Steel

6. Magnum XL-200

7. Desperado

8. Goliath (SFMM)

I will also be riding Intimidator for the first time this summer, and possibly even Apollo's Chariot, as well as going on Diamondback again, so the rankings may change of course.

Dive, Wild Mouse, Spinning, Accelerator, Wing, Moto, Hyper, etc are types of coasters. Mega, Giga and Strata are height.

Ummmm... Hyper coaster is a height classification just like giga and strata. . . You know, hyper, giga, strata...

200-299ft = Hyper

300-399ft = Giga

400-499ft = Strata

"A hypercoaster is any roller coaster with a height or drop measuring greater than 200 feet (61 m). The term was first coined by Arrow Dynamics and Cedar Point with the release of the world's first hypercoaster, the Magnum XL-200, in 1989."

As there is only one hyper in the western US, my vote has to go to Goliath at SFMM.

What about desperado?

Is that ride even still around? I never got around to riding it actually. It was in the middle of nowhere and never on my way to to somewhere else.

Dive, Wild Mouse, Spinning, Accelerator, Wing, Moto, Hyper, etc are types of coasters. Mega, Giga and Strata are height.

Ummmm... Hyper coaster is a height classification just like giga and strata. . . You know, hyper, giga, strata...

200-299ft = Hyper

300-399ft = Giga

400-499ft = Strata

"A hypercoaster is any roller coaster with a height or drop measuring greater than 200 feet (61 m). The term was first coined by Arrow Dynamics and Cedar Point with the release of the world's first hypercoaster, the Magnum XL-200, in 1989."

This is an age old debate but it shouldn't be. Technically you are correct. All of the first 200+ foot coasters were a certain type of non-looping airtime speed coasters built by Arrow/Morgan. They were dubbed "hyper" for being 200 plus feet. Then the ride gods started making 200+ foot looping coasters but most no one ever called them hyper coasters. Even Intamin and B&M don't use the term. I don't know anyone, except Arrow people, who called Steel Phantom a "hyper". It wasn't until the first coasters broke 300 feet anyone made a distinction that I'm aware of. I'm sorry but Xcelerator (my favorite coaster) and Valravn, for example, are not a "hyper" coasters in my opinion. As for Fury 325 and Intimidator 305, I consider them to be giga hyper coasters.

As there is only one hyper in the western US, my vote has to go to Goliath at SFMM.

What about desperado?

Is that ride even still around?

According to RCDB it is. It's been in continuous operation since 1994.

It is fairly off the beaten path, but it's a western US hypercoaster none-the-less.

I've never ridden it, but the general consensus seems to be that for all of its height and speed, it's a rather dull ride, particularly the meandering last 2/3 of the ride.

Then the ride gods started making 200+ foot looping coasters but most no one ever called them hyper coasters. Even Intamin and B&M don't use the term.

BOOOIIIIII. You better check them sources before claiming stuff, lol.

You should read that post again...

Maybe you should? He said B&M doesn't use the term "hyper"... just saying.

Then the ride gods started making 200+ foot looping coasters but most no one ever called them hyper coasters. Even Intamin and B&M don't use the term.

No, he said B&M don`t use the term hyper on their dive coasters and other looping coasters that are 200+ feet tall...

No, he said B&M don`t use the term hyper on their dive coasters and other looping coasters that are 200+ feet tall...

Ah, I didn't see the word looping. I do agree that "hyper" is a style and not necessarily defined as 200-299 or whatever. The discussion has happened like 3 times on this thread already

I should have clarified. B&M doesn't use the term in regards to height. In fact B&M supports my view as they actually classify hyper coaster as a type that they build.

What about desperado?

Is that ride even still around?

According to RCDB it is. It's been in continuous operation since 1994.

It is fairly off the beaten path, but it's a western US hypercoaster none-the-less.

I've never ridden it, but the general consensus seems to be that for all of its height and speed, it's a rather dull ride, particularly the meandering last 2/3 of the ride.

Okay so there are two western hypers and I've only riden one. I guess I'll have to worm it in somehow. I live in Washington and I just don't get out that way. In fact I've only been to Vegas once as it is.

Here's my list of any coasters that I've ridden that have a height and/or drop over 200ft / in the style of hyper/mega/whatever. Ignore whichever coasters you don't think fit.

1. Lightning Rod

2. Intimidator 305

3. Skyrush

4. Mega-Lite (style??)

5. Fury 325

6. Superman the Ride

7. Behemoth

8. Mako (Rode this last week, it's great!)

9. Diamondback

10. Goliath (SFOG)

11. Millennium Force

12. Nitro

13. Leviathan

14. Diving Coaster (Happy Valley)

15. SheiKra

16. Steel Dragon 2000

17. Griffon

18. Superman el Ultimo Escape

19. Goliath (La Ronde)

20. Intimidator

21. Hollywood Dream (Why not include all the B&M hypers?)

22. Raging Bull

23. Xcelerator

24. Top Thrill (lol)

25. Apollo's Chariot

26. Valravn

27. Magnum XL-200

28. Thunder Dolphin

29. Steel Eel (baby hyper)

30. Kingda Ka

31. Speed - The Ride (Defunct, but well over 200ft)

32. Desperado

33. Titan

34. Goliath (SFMM)

35. Mr Freeze (SFOT)

36. Superman: Escape from Krypton (is this even a coaster?)

37. Wicked Twister

38. Manhattan Express/Big Apple Coaster

In N.A. I'm still missing Phantom, Mamba, Steel Force, Wild Thing, SFStl's Mr Freeze, Cannibal