TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM - Worth travelling from San Francisco for?

Geoff

Hi,

I'm coming over to California March 29 2005 for 2 weeks. Going to be spending 5 nights in San Francisco then 3 nights in the Wine Country and will finish with 3 nights in Monterey.

However in between the Wine Country and Monterey there's a free 3 nights, is it worth the drive from Napa to Valencia to visit SFMM and Universal or would I be better off staying up North and visiting some of the natural wonders California has to offer?

I visited SFMM in 1999 and had a good time but am now dubious about a return visit, as having read all the negative comments off numerous websites it seems the place is crap and full of gangs of kids etc. And that the coasters are shadows of their former selves (please bear in mind I come from the UK where most of our rides are tiny!!)

What do you think?

Thanx.

Geoff

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would certainly make the trip. To most people who don't live in the area and see the park go from being good to great to terrible to now what I consider "mediocre" most people come away from it really enjoying it.

I would avoid the park on a Saturday at all costs and make SURE you get there before opening!!! This is SO important at SFMM. You can get 1/2 the park done in the first two hours of the park's operating time on most visits.

Whereas if you come at noon or later, you're lucky if you get on half of the coasters.

--Robb

I think it's more worth it to drive to Yosemite. It won't take more than 5 hours or so, have a nice few days in the valley, and get away from the crowds you'll get in SF and Monterey.

I hope you'll be hitting SCBB either while in Monterey or on your way there.

I would certainly make the trip. To most people who don't live in the area and see the park go from being good to great to terrible to now what I consider "mediocre" most people come away from it really enjoying it.

I would avoid the park on a Saturday at all costs and make SURE you get there before opening!!! This is SO important at SFMM. You can get 1/2 the park done in the first two hours of the park's operating time on most visits.

Whereas if you come at noon or later, you're lucky if you get on half of the coasters.

--Robb

Listen to EVERYTHING in this post! I went to SFMM in July. Didn't get there until around noon I think due to some major drama with checking out of the hotel and my friends who just HAD TO stop at the In' N Out Burger one exit before the park because we are from Indiana, no In N' Out (best fast food ever btw) but back to the point... We were only able to ride Goliath, STE, BTR, RR, Goldrusher, Scream! and Collosous. It seemed like a nice place, but I didn't get to experence X, or get a good fell of the park at all. Oh well, mayby again in a few years!

oh yeah, go to In-N-Out.

Also, since you are from a far-away country, I recommend you eating inside the park (Mooseburger Lodge, etc) because just going to Del Taco nearby the park will take AT LEAST an hour because the walking to the parking lot and back takes loong time.

I have been to Socal and SFMM two times in the last 4 years!

I recommend going to SFMM but go to some other parks while you are in Socal.

In all honesty, I think SFMM is OK, but I think I'd rather go the extra 1/2 hour down the road to Universal Studios.

Yea I say do what ever but STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM SOUTH LAKE TAHOE we got enough tourist as it is with the movie being shot and stuff. *yes my town name has the word hoe in it*

Sounds like a really friendly place

We've booked into the Holiday Inn Express Santa Clarita on 6, 7 & 8 April 2006. Planning to do SFMM and Knott's, as I did Universal in 99 and there's not been a lot new there since, as can be seen by Elissa saying it's a good half day park.

Thanks for all your advice

I have been to Socal and SFMM two times in the last 4 years!

I recommend going to SFMM but go to some other parks while you are in Socal.

In all honesty, I think SFMM is OK, but I think I'd rather go the extra 1/2 hour down the road to Universal Studios.

Last year when I went to Socal, I went to SFMM, DLR, KBF and I rode Westcoaster.

It would be stupid to fly to Socal and just go to SFMM!