TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How do you deal with haters?

Mr. Corn

I've been a victim of some of these haters' bullying myself. I think it's quite entertaining to accuse Mr. Alvey of displaying inappropriate behavior, when I've witness them openly mocking other park guests and be very disrespectful to park employees (myself included when I was one).

I've received Facebook invites from those people to join those groups/pages they operate on Facebook. No thanks. I don't understand making fun of someone. Sure, you can disagree with someone, but mocking their physical appearance or their family is completely uncalled for.

These people are so miserable with themselves, they have to tear others down. It's sad and pathetic. I've been a long time lurker here, finally joined to be able to give my two-cents.

EDIT: "Quite entertaining" may not be the right words..."Quite interesting" is better. Sorry.

Holy crapballs it seems to be a lot of people out there who takes theme parks waaay to seriously.

I mean, I know A LOT about theme parks and I spend more time than I probably should on it, but really these people seems to have gone full retard à la Adam Sandler and mixed it with Jerry Springer. Oh my god can you imagine how the rest of their lives must be?

Suddenly the whole Donald Trump thing seems to make sense.

(Seriously though, that last part is a joke. We have the same phenomenon going on over on this side as well, hardly anything unique about the US)

The "I Was Banned From TPR Because..." group on Facebook showed up on my sidebar for recommended groups at some point last week, back before this thread was created. I'm guessing it's because I'm a member of a few other theme park groups on FB. Out of pure curiosity, I took a look in the posts since it's apparently a public group that you don't even need to join in order to see posts.

OMG... The level of hatred and butthurt in there is absolutely unreal. The ones quoted in Robb's thread are some of the more lightweight ones, if you can believe that. It utterly amazes me that anyone would go so far out of their way to throw personal attacks at someone like this, but apparently in 2016 cyber bullying is par for the course, especially if you're a public figure that attracts a lot of attention.

I operate social media accounts for a company that is completely unrelated to this field, and sure enough, we occasionally get haters, immature comments, and just flat out idiocy passing through on a daily basis. In these cases, I don't even bother responding... I just make copious use of the ban and block buttons. Sure, you get some complaints about "free speech", but it's not like anyone on the Internet understands what the hell "free speech" actually means. You DON'T have an intrinsic right to be able to vomit stupidity, racism, and profanity at anyone you feel like without repercussions. But understanding that would probably require more than a couple dozen brain cells in the ol' noggin.

WOW! Thanks for answering this question Robb, enlightening and very entertaining to read. Had no idea the 'hate' for you was bad enough for people to take the time to set up a Facebook page. If you don't like something that is not harming anyone why would you spend your time and energy on the 'hate' instead of just moving along? I just don't get it. Then again, I am old so that may have something to do with it.

I think it would be hilarious to unban all of those haters on that facebook page. See how many of them actually rejoin. Then pull the rug out from under them and reban them all.

Actually, it's funny you mention that! I have had the thought to totally wipe the slate clean of everyone banned on all our socials and the forum and see who actually ends up coming back, regardless of the horrible stuff they said, because you know most of them are saying all that stuff because they are just upset with themselves for being so stupid as to get themselves banned from a theme park site, but can't take personal responsibility for their own actions.

I did a test of this a few months ago. I think it was back in April or May I unbanned ALL of the blocks we had on Twitter and I figured this would be a good way to see which of those people are truly awful and continue to post disparaging stuff about us, and which ones would start following us again.

Oddly enough, about 1/3 of them actually sent me a message saying "thank you" for unblocking us, about 1/3 of them started posting more hate (to which I blocked them again), and I think the other 1/3 just don't use Twitter anymore! lol

But at least we now know how it all shook out. Those that we re-blocked again absolutely proved that they deserved it and were the ones who were really being hateful and malicious. It was certainly a fun experiment!

Edited by robbalvey

This is pretty much my reaction every time I witness some form of hating. Knowing they're pouring countless wasted time and energy into their pettiness...

The crazy part about it is how some of them will say things like "Alvey has wayyyyy too much time on his hands" but the reality is that some of these people have been at this for FIFTEEN to TWENTY years!!! That's a *LOT* of wasted time and a lot of hate. And where has it gotten them? A Facebook page with a handful of other haters? Congrats, you've done so much for yourself and society! lol

Me on the other hand, I'm actually proud to say that thanks to building TPR into what it is today, I actually DO have time on my hands to write an article like this. It's a nice byproduct of owning your own successful business!

Edited by robbalvey

The amount of negative and bitter comments out there are as mind-boggling as they are disturbing. Rather than understand the reasons why they were banned and subsequently, no longer welcomed, they deflect the blame onto Robb and fail to own their issues/flaws/insecurities. They resent themselves over their failures, so to cope, they negatively dwell on Robb and TPR (and hope they'll feel better). That is toxic and mentally and emotionally damaging and unhealthy. Plus, it's complete projection. With the Internet especially, there is no way that all people will connect and flourish in any one community. Obviously, something like a banning has adversely impacted these people and has caused way more damage to them then any low-grade, envy-inspired, bitter-laced insult they can fathom. It's ironic that some of Robb's greatest antagonists are those that have attempted and have ultimately failed at entering his line-of-work. Cased closed. There is clearly motive and an agenda among many out there who are unable to replicate Robb's success with TPR since they lack the business acumen/savvy and approach.

And they claim Robb wants attention? They want Robb to notice them and to somehow feel (which won't happen!) special, which is why they spend hours and days and weeks and years crying over how Robb banned them from TPR. Based on their reactions to a "banning", I think few "healthy" people would or do want them around anyway unless it's with each other (misery loves company). I would also suspect that those that say Robb has too much time on his hands are those that actually have too much time on their hands, which is why they spend every waking moment stalking out Robb's activity across social media and attempting to track him down at events/DW and what not. Scary and creepy at the same time.

Trolling on the internet has gotten so ridiculous that this whole season of South Park has been dedicated to it (amongst other things). You just got take everything you hear and read with a grain of salt, laugh at certain ridiculous statements, and either ignore or have fun poking back at the haters.

They hate us because they ain't us!

You're right though it's entertaining to read all the stupidity out there. You can't buy this kind of entertainment. Long live TPR!!!

This is what I keep telling myself every time I read one of the crazy stories about it. Some of the haters should be writers. I mean the stuff they come up with is actually more interesting than our actual lives! lol

I never got the hate for TPR. I just found the group in question (which has 319 members) and while I'm not here to kiss a**, any website that can piss off 319 coaster enthusiasts just by existing is destined to be one of my favorite websites by default.

I never got the hate for TPR. I just found the group in question (which has 319 members) and while I'm not here to kiss a**, any website that can piss off 319 coaster enthusiasts just by existing is destined to be one of my favorite websites by default.

And coasterbill is prly responsible for 200+ of those

I kid i kid. Coasterbill is by far one of my most respected posters.

All I know is that if even a quarter of those 319 people were here on TPR it would make our forum a much more obnoxious and horrible place to be... more than it already is! I'm actually quite happy when I get to deliver another member to their group! Just means a better place for the rest of us, and I'm happy to have found that person a new home.

Look at it like a "relocation service" free of charge!

Fascinating and hilarious post, Robb! I had no idea there were hate groups and while I see stupid comments online occasionally, the extent that some people have taken it is truly horrifying. Keep shrugging them off and being awesome!

Fascinating and hilarious post, Robb! I had no idea there were hate groups and while I see stupid comments online occasionally, the extent that some people have taken it is truly horrifying. Keep shrugging them off and being awesome!

Thank you! That's the plan!

I have the urge to beat my head against the table every time I see a comment like "this shows he has too much time on his hands" or "shouldn't he be spending more time with his family", and the best "why does he even care? " when you respond to their gross misinformation(made up bullshit). Huh, Kettle meet Black, Black meet Kettle.

Edited by chadster

I love how these people just make up random crap. It would be one thing to complain or talk about something that actually happened, but these posts talking about you doing stuff and getting banned at parks that you haven't been to for years are amazing. I think a lot of these people need to up their medications. And you'd think after ten or so years of this nonsense, they'd get bored and take up a more enjoyable hobby. Like punching themselves in the skull.

You did not repost that person that claimed you stole a bus, though. That's still my favorite.

dt