TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[POLL] RMC Mean Streak 2017 or 2018?

When do you think Mean Streak will open?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think Mean Streak will open?

• Team 2017
    • Team 2018
    • It will open after 2018

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we're 2 months past when they'd normally have announced something for next year. Therefore it could be opening June or later. As July is the most crowded, August might make sense. Announcing it at the normal time would have been misleading. It's also a long time away to predict an exact opening, and yet if it does open late in the year they wouldn't want to delay further. I don't know if it makes marketing sense but it might spread out the opening time crowds to open late in the year. They have additional pushes for pass sales in the spring, at higher prices than now.

On the other hand, if not opening until 2018, it would be best to keep it a secret for now, which they do seem to be doing.

Given the precedent of TTD's announcement, with the track at the park, the RMC will open in 2017 but possibly with a delayed opening past May, and that could be why there is no announcement yet.

To conclude my remarks on certain people on high horses, a person who spends all day every day writing 30+ posts on a coaster forum does not strike me as a laid back person who can rightfully call others obnoxious or toxic. You remember the kid in class who always raised their hand and never stopped talking?

...Oh good, he's still talking sh*t. We need a Wisco Woody "Coasterbill" drinking game (and take 2 shots when he references me in a thread that I'm not even actively involved in) to go along with the Darien Laker "Cuda Falls" drinking game. PS: 50 bucks says he doesn't know what the word "conclude means". Let's wait and see.

Wisco, Eugene (or Schoop or whatever he's calling himself this week), and others came onto TPR as a result of an anti TPR thread on a SFGAm message board. Unfortunately our dumpster fire over there spilled over to here and the stupidity proliferated here...

Typical...And this is why I don't hang out with coaster enthusiasts. This explains a lot though. Edit: Found the thread in about 30 seconds. It was just as whiny as I imagined it would be.

The whole "doesn't make marketing sense" argument doesn't make sense to me. Everyone who has studied marketing is familiar with the concept of Hedonic Editing. Basically, people/firms integrate losses and segregate gains. Therefore, in regards to marketing, it makes much more sense to make two separate announcements (with the smaller one coming first) than it does to integrate two big additions into one announcement.

On the other hand, a very reliable source told me that the park is finished making announcements for next season... Still, I'm team 2017.

I get what you're saying. Maybe saying it's inconsistent is better than saying it doesn't make sense. They could always be trying something new but the reason it seems unlikely to me is that the chain has basically stuck with the same ride announcement formula / timeline for all of their parks for over a decade. Of course they could switch it up but for a company so conservative I personally wouldn't expect it. That's just me though.

Edited by coasterbill

So far we're 2 months past when they'd normally have announced something for next year. Therefore it could be opening June or later. As July is the most crowded, August might make sense. Announcing it at the normal time would have been misleading. It's also a long time away to predict an exact opening, and yet if it does open late in the year they wouldn't want to delay further. I don't know if it makes marketing sense but it might spread out the opening time crowds to open late in the year. They have additional pushes for pass sales in the spring, at higher prices than now.

This again is entirely inconsistent with Cedar Fair. It's plausible but unlikely.

The whole "doesn't make marketing sense" argument doesn't make sense to me. Everyone who has studied marketing is familiar with the concept of Hedonic Editing.

Not everyone who studied marketing has heard of this.

I'm guessing that they'll add a dark ride back there as well as part of the transformation. Maybe relocate the train station too.

What?? Where did all this come from?? Why do you think just because they are RMCing Mean Streak, suddenly this means they are getting a new Dark Ride, and relocating the train station?? That's a bit of a reach don't you think??

It came from his mind, it is a guess, not a prediction. Cedar Fair did mention after Iron Reef and Guardian Mountain that dark ride could be coming to major CF parks. As far as where it would go in the park who knows. I don't see the value in or the clues leading to a train station move.

Yet another thing: announcing a ride can increase attendance temporarily, even though the ride isn't there yet (Case example: I305). Announce it around opening and get more people when the park is slackest.

Evidence for 2017:

- Mean Streak closed before the end of the season (Just like with every other RMC conversion)

- There's already demolition going on

- There's already LEDGERS IN PLACE and TRACK ON SITE!

- RMC knows how to build coasters fast, and this project has everything lined up for an off-season conversion.

Some people will say that NTaG took "18 months" or something, but I'd like to point out that the first track/ledgers erection wasn't until March, 2010, only 12 months before opening. I sincerely doubt that it would take Cedar Point longer than that (22-month construction time? You gotta be kidding me). Twisted Colossus took only 8 months to build, and that coaster is 5000' long (Likely more track than this whole project would be).

I can't see ANY reason to start construction THIS early if they weren't trying to open it in the 8-month time-frame they have before next season starts...

Note: I don't care about marketing, season pass sales, or any of that crap. I'm looking at what is actually happening on site here.

My guess is 2018 considering there hasn't really been much teasing or an announcement date so far. The park has been adding something coaster related since 2013, counting Pipe Scream of course. Especially coming off a large investment last season, they don't need Mean Streak to reopen for next year. Mean Streak is going to be their largest, and most extensive project to date, so they probably want to get a head start. We have no idea how the weather is going to be this winter, or how many other unannounced projects RMC may have to tackle.

I'm really just being cautious here, and would love if the ride opened next season after all. NTAG took a long time to build because it was the company's first attempt at I-box track. There was a lot more testing that had to be done, and the crew was new at doing it. At that point, all of the track was produced in what is RMC's office building now. With their new facilities and experienced crew, they can pump out materials a lot faster.

Maybe they just won't ever announce it and it will just begin operating Opening Day 2017 with no marketing whatsoever.

I think no hype whatsoever would be a bit of a stretch. There's hopefully gonna be announcements, but probably not at this stage. I think it's probably gonna be earlier than when BGW announced Tempesto.

Evidence for 2017:

- Mean Streak closed before the end of the season (Just like with every other RMC conversion)

- There's already demolition going on

- There's already LEDGERS IN PLACE and TRACK ON SITE!

- RMC knows how to build coasters fast, and this project has everything lined up for an off-season conversion.

Some people will say that NTaG took "18 months" or something, but I'd like to point out that the first track/ledgers erection wasn't until March, 2010, only 12 months before opening. I sincerely doubt that it would take Cedar Point longer than that (22-month construction time? You gotta be kidding me). Twisted Colossus took only 8 months to build, and that coaster is 5000' long (Likely more track than this whole project would be).

I can't see ANY reason to start construction THIS early if they weren't trying to open it in the 8-month time-frame they have before next season starts...

Note: I don't care about marketing, season pass sales, or any of that crap. I'm looking at what is actually happening on site here.

Assuming this project is similar to Twisted Colossus and 8 month project, having it open for opening day is a tight window, especially with harsh Lake Erie winters. Since all we hear is negative comments when a coaster is delayed, maybe the announcement is being held off until January/February when it can be assessed how RMC is battling the weather.

I am on #team2017. I'll briefly restate my argument that I had posted on the Cedar Point proper forum. Top Thrill Dragster was announced in January well after construction already begin on the ride. So it is not surprising they are moving full steam head on RMC-Streak w/o sharing any details.

I'll add that Cedar Point is building an extension to Breakers Express with an extension to the newly renovated Hotel Breakers coming in 2018. Maybe they are holding off on the RMC announcement to better capitalize on the Christmas season and have the release be timed in a way were people can book their trips once the announcement drops.

If Cedar Fair sends 3/4 of their construction-staff to build, It might be able to open by Opening Day or Memorial Day.

Or if Cedar Point gives RMC a few extra zeros for overtime (Something I don't think Six Flags does IMO) It might get built fast, Of course Lightning Rod didn't open on time and that had construction delays in a much milder area.

Of course Lightning Rod didn't open on time and that had construction delays in a much milder area.

You mean electrical and launch systems are milder than structure? Boy, you don't know much about construction. Putting up the shell is quick and easy. The little stuff like electrical and computer takes much more time.

If Cedar Fair sends 3/4 of their construction-staff to build, It might be able to open by Opening Day or Memorial Day.

Sends from where? These projects are largely bid on and physically constructed by local companies. It's not like Cedar Fair has one specific "dream team" they send around the country to build project after project...although Tony is always an allstar.

Or if Cedar Point gives RMC a few extra zeros for overtime (Something I don't think Six Flags does IMO) It might get built fast, Of course Lightning Rod didn't open on time and that had construction delays in a much milder area.

I'm sure they're working around the clock as it is. I'd bet there will be many, many 15+ hour days put in by all on this project, and you want them to just crack that whip and put in 20 hours a day. There's only so much time in a day, it's not a matter of writing a bigger check to get them to work more hours. That's not even mentioning the impending winter weather on the horizon.

Of course Lightning Rod didn't open on time and that had construction delays in a much milder area.

You mean electrical and launch systems are milder than structure? Boy, you don't know much about construction. Putting up the shell is quick and easy. The little stuff like electrical and computer takes much more time.

I meant milder weather

I'm predicting 2018 simply because I just can't shake the feeling that they would've announced it by now if it was for 2017. But hey, if Cedar Point wants to prove me wrong and open it in 2017, that's fine with me.

As of right now I am Team 2017. I do feel like we will get an announcement on Halloween. I could see how they can do a whole the dead (mean Streak) rising up from the dead like how spirits come back to earth and are present that night. It would also set up pass holder sales before Christmas very nicely too. If there isn't an announcement then I'm leaning more towards 2018, but I'll hope 2017 anyway.

2018. I'm thinking FrontierTown is going to get completely renovated, not just Mean Streak. Cedar Point is probably going to take their time with this and do the whole section of the park right. Who knows, they may also need the extra time because Mean Streak 2.0 could be a launch lift like Lightning Rod at Dollywood is. It's possible. But being so close to Maverick, highly unlikely.