TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

[POLL] RMC Mean Streak 2017 or 2018?

When do you think Mean Streak will open?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think Mean Streak will open?

• Team 2017
    • Team 2018
    • It will open after 2018

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to lock this, but I'll keep it open for a time to see if it keeps this crappy discussion out of the Cedar Point thread. Please keep the comment and avoid the immature behavior and name calling.

Edited by larrygator

Stop.

No you all need to stop. If you don't wish to participate then don't participate. But STOP with the comments that add nothing to the conversation except your dislike of post or thread.

Thank you. Having thousands of posts on a theme park forum will never be cool, it's time people (myself included) stop pretending we are better than other posters for their certain messages. At the end of the day, I just wanna read some interesting park news from around the country but the weird superiority complex and "shut down" mentality among a select few around here has really been bugging me.

Thank you. Having thousands of posts on a theme park forum will never be cool, it's time people (myself included) stop pretending we are better than other posters for their certain messages. At the end of the day, I just wanna read some interesting park news from around the country but the weird superiority complex and "shut down" mentality among a select few around here has really been bugging me.

THIS!!!

THIS!!!

Agreed. This sums it up perfectly.

With track on site, I think the ride will be shortened quite a bit and open for 2017. All iron horses have been shorter than the previous wood coaster. Even though not by much, mean streaks a big ride so I think we'll see at least 1/5 of it come down.

You guys know my stance from the Cedar Point thread but I don't think 2017 makes any sense from a marketing standpoint so I'm going with 2018. Maybe it could be done by 2017 if they wanted it to be and anyone arguing from that standpoint is making a totally valid case. That being said, since the busy haunt season is their big push for Season Pass renewals and under this ownership group they always announce major additions before this to help drum up sales and they're making a hard push with the free Fastlane plus for renewals and free 2016 visit for new 2017 pass purchases I feel like if they could have announced a marquee attraction to help push sales they would have done it already. Instead they're pushing a water park upgrade.

Also I know people like to pile on but I totally understand both reactions to this thread. The "oh sh*t not this again" reaction is justified based on the dumpster fire this caused in the Cedar Point thread but at the same time it could make for a really good, interesting discussion if people would relax a little so hopefully that happens. Like I said either argument is valid at this point because the construction is moving along really fast. It just depends on whether or not you put more weight on that or more weight on the marketing aspect of it. I go with the latter because I feel like Cedar Point's marketing team is excellent and I think they put a lot of thought into these things but I understand the argument for the former. The construction crew is moving at an insane pace and I'll admit that as "2018 opening" person that pace does cast a shadow of doubt. I was more confident in my guess a few weeks ago for sure.

You guys know my stance from the Cedar Point thread but I don't think 2017 makes any sense from a marketing standpoint so I'm going with 2018. Maybe it could be done by 2017 if they wanted it to be and anyone arguing from that standpoint is making a totally valid case. That being said, since the busy haunt season is their big push for Season Pass renewals and under this ownership group they always announce major additions before this to help drum up sales and they're making a hard push with the free Fastlane plus for renewals and free 2016 visit for new 2017 pass purchases I feel like if they could have announced a marquee attraction to help push sales they would have done it already. Instead they're pushing a water park upgrade.

I agree with this 100% but will play devil'a advocate: the line of thinking also exists that they can dump a bunch of annual passes out now, then gain another big surge of sales after the Halloween push if they announce the new ride a month or so from now. I dont know enough about construction to tell if a conversion could be done in time for 2017 or not, but if it indeed could, it wouldn't necessarily *not* make sense to try to grab two big surges of annual pass sales, one in the closing out of the current season and another after the announcement of a big new ride to attract the casual CP fans after the die-hards have already snagged theirs.

For me it depends largely on the final design of this ride. If RMC is going to change the ride dramatically, than it will probably open 2018. If it mostly follows a similar course, it might hust be a 2017 addition. As another poster mentioned, it also depends on how much length they add/subtract from the ride. If the ride significantly shortened, than 2017 is more likely. If the ride is roughly the same length or longer, 2018 is a more accurate target.

NTAG took two years, but that was RMC's first project and they recently grew dramatically in size. Also, the lack of other projects may mean they are going to try and open this thing by 2017.

There is the avenue that says this is RMC's biggest name client yet, their biggest conversion yet, and the shortest timeline yet. If the discussion was "we will aim for 2017 but no promises" then Cedar Point's excellent marketing team may want to wait to announce it for 2017 untill they know its going to happen ala TTD.

I'm team 2018. . . Mainly because I feel like Cedar Point would have announced something by now if they planned on having it open in 2017. This is to major of an addition for them to come out on a few weeks and say "Oh, hey, yeah. By the way we are redoing Mean Streak and it will be open May of 2017." When ever the official announcement is, I bet it's going to be a nice "major" announcement as they do with any coaster, and it will have a 2018 opening date.

You guys know my stance from the Cedar Point thread but I don't think 2017 makes any sense from a marketing standpoint so I'm going with 2018. Maybe it could be done by 2017 if they wanted it to be and anyone arguing from that standpoint is making a totally valid case.

That's a far cry from your stance no more than a week ago when everyone arguing 2017 was being ridiculous, or whatever term you used. Glad to see Larrygator bring the thread to order, he's been one of my favorite posters since the TPCritic days.

I am and have been team 17, which seemed more obvious than 18'. That stance has been reconfirmed today when reading Irvine Ondrey Engineering's facebook page, and they wrote something along the lines of, "Could we be working on another classic from the 90s age of the coaster wars next year? Details as soon as I can. Spring is looking really, really full for us!"

You guys know my stance from the Cedar Point thread but I don't think 2017 makes any sense from a marketing standpoint so I'm going with 2018. Maybe it could be done by 2017 if they wanted it to be and anyone arguing from that standpoint is making a totally valid case.

That's a far cry from your stance no more than a week ago when everyone arguing 2017 was being ridiculous, or whatever term you used. Glad to see Larrygator bring the thread to order, he's been one of my favorite posters since the TPCritic days.

I'm trying to be nice / open minded but people are really making it hard today. I still sort of feel the same way I did before. As I said...

Maybe it could be done by 2017 if they wanted it to be and anyone arguing from that standpoint is making a totally valid case.

They're going a lot faster than I anticipated in terms of construction, so FROM THAT STANDPOINT, I think you could easily argue that it could be done on time to open next year. Obviously we don't really know that because we haven't actually seen the layout so we don't really know what they're doing but it doesn't seem farfetched to assume that if they wanted to have it ready for next year then they could.

That being said, I still do think that the idea that the ride will open next year is ridiculous. It makes no sense from a marketing perspective and it's inconsistent with every single major new ride announcement in the entire chain for the last decade. My opinion hasn't changed, but I'm trying not to come off as a dick about it (which I know I do sometimes) since people seem to be pretty thin skinned lately and I really don't intend to cause controversy. It's not why I'm here. I'm here to have fun and to make people laugh. You're sort of putting me in a position where I have to defend my opinion though so there it is. It hasn't changed. I am surprised to see so much work being done so quickly and if you're only interested in whether or not the construction could POSSIBLY be done by 2017 then you could argue that but I still don't think it's a 2018 addition because it makes absolutely no sense to market it this way.

Sorry if it that came off wrong but it's tough to try to balance trying not to stir the pot with trying to defend your opinion when you're called out on it. So yeah, my opinion hasn't changed, I'm just trying to be nicer about it ... team 2018 represent. lol

Edited by coasterbill

That's a far cry from your stance no more than a week ago when everyone arguing 2017 was being ridiculous, or whatever term you used. Glad to see Larrygator bring the thread to order, he's been one of my favorite posters since the TPCritic days."

Opinions are allowed to evolve. Mossed - sorry, I don't remember you from TPC, did you have a different screen name?

^ Yes I did. Yfz450, joined Themeparkcritic way back in 03 or 04 as a young pup. I was actually just talking with my cousin about Themeparkcritic and he asked "Is larrygator still around?", and he was never a member of that site.

Bill - When people took offense to what you wrote in our discussion about 2017 vs 2018, I wasn't one of them. You're entitled to your opinion, I just thought it was a worthy discussion. Others obviously disagreed, which is why the threads were separated.

I'm in the 2017 camp, but with an *...

Why can't CP have their cake and eat it too? I see them possibly opening the ride late in 2017. Maybe opening with Haunt.

Play it like SF does and say that a 2018 pass gets you Haunt 2017 and the New/Improved ________ Streak/Hawk. It's quirky marketing, but could bring a significant increase on Friday & Sunday traffic. And then you would still get a push on 2018 passes, similar to what you get when a ride is coming.

Bill makes some valid points, but I just can't shake the timeline. 19 months of SBNO Streak is a long ass time for standard construction. Has any modern ride taken that long without delays or a deliberate, prototype/R&D type build?