TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Institute

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I wrote in very small letters £100 for everything. The room(s) being used are almost perfect for the use, so building the route will max coast £5. Regarding sets, I am hoping to create mostly very basic sets, but with actors doing disturbing things (closely followed by a jump scare). I am hoping to make the finale really good, and spend most of the budget on it, and have a fairly high quality set to end it off, however even then, I will re use random items and change them.

200w.gif

Don't listen to these haters. It's totally plausible.

If you have a computer with speakers play this and f**king blast it.

Then have somebody stand by the light switch and flash it on and off really super fast to simulate lightning.

Next, have everybody grab a sheet from their bed and throw it over their heads so they look like ghosts. Then when people come by jump out and yell "boo" really loud.

Next, Party City has this bad a** rubber bat decoration for $1.99. Get like 50 of them, then hang them from strings. Have somebody go around and push them every once in awhile so it looks like they're f**king flying.

Hope I helped. That should help you stay in budget.

Only other thing I ca think of is asking for donations. Not money, but things like large boxes and decorations. My neighborhood used to do a haunted house and they would get large furniture boxes donated to them or they would go hunting for it. All the decorations they used were collected over previous years.

We had another neighbor that would build a lot of cool haunts each year. They had a facade donated to them from the local high school that worked as an entrance and exit to the haunt. They constructed theirs out of wood and black tarp. Either way you look at it though, they all spent a couple hundred each year even with recycled materials.

Don't listen to these haters. It's totally plausible.

If you have a computer with speakers play this and f**king blast it.

Then have somebody stand by the light switch and flash it on and off really super fast to simulate lightning.

Next, have everybody grab a sheet from their bed and throw it over their heads so they look like ghosts. Then when people come by jump out and yell "boo" really loud.

Next, Party City has this bad a** rubber bat decoration for $1.99. Get like 50 of them, then hang them from strings. Have somebody go around and push them every once in awhile so it looks like they're f**king flying.

Hope I helped. That should help you stay in budget.

This is hilarious, I can't stop laughing now! Thanks Bill, you made my day! But, as some have mentioned, try using used decorations and used cloth and other materials. That would help cut down on your costs considerably.

I have created my first costume, it looks pretty good, and total coast is £0. So, what you see before you is actually a black edited gown as the main part, two mosquito nets for the faceless effect (inspired by your photo), some black-ish trousers, paint balling gloves, some old and too small rugby skins with colored branding bits taped over (just needed something black and tight for my body) and some black socks.

IMG_4119.thumb.JPG.444680862d29089e22fa2748f3bc7113.JPG

IMG_4120.thumb.JPG.18a0edb833fb8a391b25be25c3a724f1.JPG

Right, I have a small decision to make.

Which of these soundtracks would best suit the attraction to build up tension?

1. Smiler (45 min outdoor loop)

2. Helix (30 min launch platform loop)

3. Saw the ride (5 min outdoor loop)

4. Colossus (9 min queue loop)

5. Flug der Damon (5 min queue loop)

Or any others.

I've worked on or for haunts at the high school, college, and professional level. I designed and built one room for a college haunted house on a very low budget. Basically you need to use darkness to your advantage. Black cloth/sheeting, dark costumes, minimal but effective lighting, etc. Don't expect to be able to build a serious multi-room haunted house on a budget though. Aim for a one room 60 second type of thing.

One super effective scare is to get a bunch of masks, like these for example: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Your-White-Face-Masks/dp/B00BAD2F0O

Hang them along both sides of a corridor where the walls are black. Use the black sheets or cloth to make the walls. Then have one person wearing one of the masks, dressed in all black, who jumps at the people walking by. The effect is easy but gets good scares. Here is a good description of this with pictures: http://mizerella.blogspot.com/2011/01/13-black-light-mask-room.html

Basically, don't expect greatness but don't let that stop you from trying. Have fun and learn from the experience. I'd love nothing more then for you to manage to make a really successful attraction and prove us all wrong.

Thanks for that. Those ideas were going to be my focus points (hence the dark costume on the last page), and having someone professional guide me further in that direction helps. Regarding the mask idea, do you think it would be a good idea to get some glow in the dark paint and paint them all so they are even more unnerving?

Ah ok, I didn't actually read through that page very closely I guess. Just used it to show you what it looks like. If you have a way to "charge" the glow in the dark paint and it holds the charge for a while it should work fine.

As for actor tips, sure. These are all pretty basic but you should definitely check out the HauntWorld forums for more in depth discussions on this stuff.

1. Don't touch the guests

2. Along those lines, be cognizant of their personal space and yours. When people get started they react in a bunch of different ways. One of those ways might be swinging.

3. With your budget, time, and space constraints you'll be relying heavily on startle scares. Noise helps. If you can get a good screamer that works but there are other (and arguably better) ways to make noise to startle. If they are screaming, advise them to have plenty of water and throat lozenges as it can get pretty irritating.

4. Stay in character and be ready. There will be gaps between groups but nothing will ruin the atmosphere for the guests more than if they walk through and see two of your actors talking about the football game. I'm not saying that they need to talk to each other in a creepy voice, just be aware of where the guests are and don't let them see or hear any non-scary talk.

5. Blend in to your surroundings. This will be really easy for the person in the mask if you end up doing that. Just be super still until you're ready to jump out.

6. Teamwork. It is super easy to scare people when you have one actor distract and another scare. Use misdirection. Work tegether to figure out what works best in the space you have.

7. Have fun. If your actors aren't having fun it will definitely show.

The second home made costume has been crafted. Yet again, it cost £0, as it is all stuff I have found in my house. The face mask will be changed with a skull bandanna, which I have ordered, so actually it will cost £1.

The urban skeleton has been summoned.

PA203605.thumb.JPG.beeb161051e7313f4087bb3ec6209dd0.JPG

This room in my house makes a nice backdrop for the image.

PA203603.thumb.JPG.83d84ea485f001b0eb3aefa06b8f7de9.JPG

Who ever plays this role will jump out at people.

PA203607.thumb.JPG.0ee218b168729f4154a1083526868e49.JPG

Hoodie, ripped jeans, gloves and bandanna is all this one consists of. Simple, but the hoodie does one extra trick...

1641732506_PA203617(2).thumb.JPG.9e3a50fc1e7772bc0a2d325ba6e315c8.JPG

Oh yeah!