TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Virgin Visit to Virginia

^ Don't get it twisted - Verbolten was not a let down, it just didn't initially blow my mind. To be fair after riding the 3 big B&Ms and all the coasters @ Kings the day before, it had a lot to measure up to. But as I said - after some time to reflect I think it was one of the more interesting rides of the weekend, and totally solid in its own right. It's a phenomenal family coaster. I wish we had done it more than once and it's one of the rides I'm really looking forward to when I can make it back to BGW. I'm thinking it will definitely be a yearly trip for sure.

Such a great park, I think it may have ruined every other park from here on out.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Don't get it twisted - Verbolten was not a let down, it just didn't initially blow my mind. To be fair after riding the 3 big B&Ms and all the coasters @ Kings the day before, it had a lot to measure up to. But as I said - after some time to reflect I think it was one of the more interesting rides of the weekend, and totally solid in its own right. It's a phenomenal family coaster. I wish we had done it more than once and it's one of the rides I'm really looking forward to when I can make it back to BGW. I'm thinking it will definitely be a yearly trip for sure.

Such a great park, I think it may have ruined every other park from here on out.

Gotcha. Guess I took it the wrong way when I read your review. I agree that BGE/BGW is an awesome park. This might get me into more trouble but I enjoyed it more than Dollywood.

This might get me into more trouble but I enjoyed it more than Dollywood.

That's totally reasonable honestly. I mean, they're both great parks but one doesn't serve alcohol and the other has more bars than Cedar Point has garbage cans. That sort of breaks the tie for me.

...The Von Roll Sky Ride and Arrow Flume are nice too

Love the skyride at BGW. I miss the old days where you could stay on the ride from station to station if you wanted (i.e. they attended asked if you were getting off or going to the next station). It also used to run in both directions a long time ago.

BGW is a beautiful park no doubt. Their ride line up is solid. I wish they had about 2 more coasters but hey I'll take what I can get. I think Tempesto and Mach Tower were wasted money though. Mach Tower is always down and is just an OK drop tower. Tempesto while a neat ride is too short and a nightmare capacity wise. I think the funds spent on these 2 rides should have been invested in one main coaster instead.

Would love to see something come back to the old Drachen Fire spot but realize that may never happen. Still a great park!

Nice TR.

I'm really really hype for that wooden coaster next year. I truly think it has the potential to be amazing. Its location is great, and I'm excited to experience the interaction with the other rides. And while I know not to judge a ride by a POV/rendering, it just looks like an awesome little airtime machine. I'm surprised the reaction has been mostly "eh" from folks around here.

It also used to run in both directions a long time ago.

Are you sure? This is the first I'm hearing of this and can't find any pictures of that being the case.

In order for this ride to run in both directions it would need an entirely separate cable drive system and counterweight system, basically 2 Sky Rides. Sky Rides all run a continuous loop of cable that just go back the other direction in most cases but this loop actually forms a complete circuit already.

I found this old brochure which based on the file name (though who knows if that's accurate) is from 1975 (it's opening year) and it seems like the same setup it has now. Honestly the stations aren't wide enough and don't seem to have a potential waiting / boarding / queue area for a reverse journey.

f98c3148713014b51419e09150365957.jpg

I mean, I'm no BGW historian but I don't see any evidence of this. I do love the idea of being able to stay on though but I guess I wouldn't love it if I was in the queue.

• 2 weeks later...

I look forward to in the future reading your trip report on my home park of Kings Island. We don't have a sky ride but we do have an old log flume that they didn't take if you want to bring Bill along.

I found this old brochure which based on the file name (though who knows if that's accurate) is from 1975 (it's opening year)...

It is not accurate, the brochure can't be from 1975 because the Loch Ness Monster did not open until 1978.

BTW, really enjoyed the trip report and the photos. You really should get back to BGW during Christmas Town. The park is amazing with all the lights and the view from the skyride at night is awesome!

^ When they start running the B&Ms during the Xmas event, that might happen. Until then, I'll continue to visit in the fall.

I look forward to in the future reading your trip report on my home park of Kings Island. We don't have a sky ride but we do have an old log flume that they didn't take if you want to bring Bill along.

It's funny I have very little desire to visit KI. Maybe eventually but its not near the top of my list. I know Bill has been before.

So I've heard.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the park at all, I probably would have a good time. Beast, Diamondback, and dare I say Banshee all look fun. My sister and bro-in-law went in 2014 and had a blast. I just have a dozen parks I am more interested in hitting before KI. And now with RMC Streak in progress if I go back to Ohio, which I hope to once that thing opens, its going to be to Sandusky.