TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Virgin Visit to Virginia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ This is exactly why I didn't want to spend a half day @ BGW. I could have spent half the day just in there drinking.

Next time you're giving us the tour, Chuck!

You need to go back there for the Bierfest in Germany...OMG!

I think I did a report on it last year, but I would have to do some digging to find it.

Great Trip Report!!! I am so glad you loved BGW!!! It is an absolutely amazing park. It's beautiful, and it has some amazing coasters!! By far one of, if not my favorite theme park!! Just reading your report has me excited for my trip back next season!!!

:nina:

Craft breweries and theme parks are my two favourite places. Craft beer IN a theme park is awesomeness on a whole new scale.

Yeah, if I lived anywhere on the East Coast that'd be an annual visit at least.

The Brauhaus features a lot of breweries from the Mid-Atlantic area, and there are three microbreweries in Williamsburg (Alewerks, Brass Cannon, and Virginia Beer Company).

Great TR! Glad you had the same experience I had on I305. It is truly the best coaster I've ever ridden. Virginia is an amazing place and has two incredible parks. It's hard to say which one is better, and I don't ever try to choose. I just go to both and enjoy what is probably two of the best parks in the country.

Great finale on a trip that I've always wanted to do! After riding Valravn, Griffon and Sheikra are very alluring..

That skyride looks to be one of the best, meandering over the woods and river. Bill, it is the best?

Boldikus, great photos too especially the overexposed Griffon shot. Reallt cool! Love your writing style and glad you found your way into TPR! Always a quality story/report.

Also, Kings Island will let you take your beers anywhere in the park.

-Zach

That skyride looks to be one of the best, meandering over the woods and river. Bill, it is the best?

This is obviously a trick question. Every Sky Ride is the best.

In all seriousness it's hard to say. The Sky Ride runs in a triangle and goes one way in each direction with 3 stops which is strange but super cool. I did take some dork shots of the stations since it's obviously unlike any other Von Roll setup but didn't bother sending them to Boldikus because nobody except me and Rob Von Roll (who of course is a FB friend of mind because I'm a huge dork) cares.

It's hard to beat the ride from Germany to England though, it goes over the Rhine and has awesome views of Loch Ness Monster. They also run it longer than most rides so if you get that last ride of the night on Alpengeist the Sky Ride is usually waiting to take you back to the front gate and save you a ton of walking up and down an obnoxious amount of stairs.

As far as the best, I don't know. I've always been partial to the Cedar Point Sky Ride but I don't really know why. It's the oldest Von Roll in America, it has the best operations of any Sky Ride and it adds a ton of atmosphere to the main midway but I love them all and have a hard time picking a favorite. I really want to try Bayside Sky Ride at Sea World San Diego though, not only does it go over the bay but you can bring beer on it!

Edited by coasterbill

Also, front page again.

Because it deserves to be! This report captures the spirit of the two parks. A lot of reports I see are just "and now we see this coaster slightly to the left of the previous picture." I love that you've shown a lot of the scenery and theming, the restaurants, the other stuff that makes a park a theme park and not just coasters in a field.

Wow, I'm jealous that you went to BGW, heck I'm jealous of anyone who lives within short driving distance from it. It's my favorite park - I always do two full days when I head down that way.

The first time I rode Griffin back in 2012 I was also amazed at the spectacular view of the James River as you crested the lift. While Valravn also has a great view from the top it doesn't quite match it. I understand your immediate love of Griffin as that ride and that first drop are addicting. It was the ride I rode the most as I couldn't get enough of it.

Alpengeist was my favorite invert for a long time (at least until Afterburn at Carowinds became my #1) but it still remains my favorite at the park. Did you have any issues with the belts? When I was there last I had some problems with the belts (never had any issues in the past) and I heard that they were shortened.

Loch Ness Monster may seem overshadowed by the B&M's but you can't deny that it is the smoothest old school Arrow out there. That musty tunnel really adds to the nostalgia factor of the ride. It amazes me that for a ride as old as it is it still looks almost new, i.e. it never looks faded whenever I'm there.

BTW I haven't been on Mach Tower yet either. It was down both days I was there back in 2012.

Thanks so much for bringing back great memories and reigniting my desire to get back down there soon.

It's hard to beat the ride from Germany to England though, it goes over the Rhine and has awesome views of Loch Ness Monster. They also run it longer than most rides so if you get that last ride of the night on Alpengeist the Sky Ride is usually waiting to take you back to the front gate and save you a ton of walking up and down an obnoxious amount of stairs.

That has always been a life saver at the end of the day and usually a good sized line by the time you get there. You also can't beat the ride from Aquitaine (France) to Rhinefeld (Germany) for the awesome views of Alpengeist, especially if you time it right as the train goes through the loop.

^ I should have mentioned Alpengeist was very tight. I totally managed without help but it was quite a squeeze. All the B&M inverts are tight for me. I'm down 20lbs since New Years so they've been a bit easier this year. I just don't need help, still have to squeeze.

I definitely can't wait to spend more time @ BGW, I can only imagine the place at night, especially in October.

Also, front page again.

Because it deserves to be! This report captures the spirit of the two parks. A lot of reports I see are just "and now we see this coaster slightly to the left of the previous picture." I love that you've shown a lot of the scenery and theming, the restaurants, the other stuff that makes a park a theme park and not just coasters in a field.

Good. And thanks. That's what I go for. Great pictures are great but so much of the time they are pictures you've kinda already seen in other reports. I take pictures of everything and then pick out the ones I like and that go with the text. Sometimes they are random things but I like the photo. Also, trip reports with a bit of a story I tend to enjoy more, it's like you're along for the ride. I think I'm getting better, I appreciate all the feedback and positive reviews of my reviews lol.

I have to say that this TR made me sign up to the TPR forums so I could post! So, long time reader, first time posting!!!! I loved your review but it did make me kind of sad. You see, when I was growing up in eastern NC, we considered Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens Williamsburg our home parks (BGW was about 3 hours away and KD another hour up). I even visited BGW (I think it was The Old Country then) before that had any major coasters, before Loch Ness. Now, after marriage, we moved to mid MA and Six Flags New Englund is our home park. SFNE can't hold a candle to KD, let alone the beauty that is BGW. I spent countless years visiting both, but BGW more than KD. The shots of Loch Ness from the low bridge, Oktoberfest, etc., made me really miss it. We moved to MA in 2008, so I missed Griffon, Verbolten, Tempesto, Mach Tower, and DarKastle. However, I really wish you could have experienced The Big Bad Wolf, and the first year of Drachen Fire (ok, TPR crew, please don't roast me to bad for that, but IMHO the first year of DF was the only good year it ever had).

As for all the beer and alcohol in general, your lucky. They used to only let you drink in Festhaus and in Italy. I'm not a total lush, but now it gives the park a more adult feel and I like that.

Lastly, like another reply stated, I like trip reports that have comments and tell stories, and yours delivered on all counts.

Thanks

Scream

Great report, both pictures and writing. Thanks for sharing!

Had I known you were heading to BGW when I heard you talking behind me on I305 I would have abandoned my friends, let them drive my car back, and joined your group. I've only been there once, about 5 years ago, and absolutely loved the place. Glad you did as well.

Amazing trip report! I must find a boldikus or coasterbill kinda buddy. I love marathons on great coasters. You helped me remember my love for visiting parks again, so HUGE thank you. I owe you a beer for it.

Many years ago, I had passes to both parks. I used to pass KD all the time and take the extra hour drive to BGW. Today, I have a lot of catching up to do! I haven't been to either park in years from moving around to other states. I rode Dominator @GL, so I'm glad it's close by. I305 is calling my name.

And sorry about your Grizzly bite. That tunnel stretch is the best part of the ride IMO ... insane. Very glad it all worked out.

I did take some dork shots of the stations since it's obviously unlike any other Von Roll setup but didn't bother sending them to Boldikus because nobody except me and Rob Von Roll (who of course is a FB friend of mind because I'm a huge dork) cares.

You can't say this and not post. You're not the only Skyride dork on this site.

Great report Boldikus, looks like a great trip! I love this style of Trip Report, much better than the ride reviews, followed by pictures format that has become so very popular.

Loved this trip report, both you guys are amusing as hell. This also got me excited for next year because my gf and I are getting Busch Gardens season passes because we plan on going to Tampa and want to go to Williamsburg several times during the year. We had gone 2 years ago but seeing these pictures reminded me how beautiful it really is. It's a shame more of our local parks couldn't be more like this.

Great TR! I really enjoyed reading your opinions on KD and BGE. I love your writing style and sense of humor.

KD used to be my go-to park in the late 90's and early 2000's and is also the park I rode my first "real" roller coaster (the one that bit you). My mother conned me into it when I was a kid and I was so fricken scared I cried all the way up the lift. But after we were done, I was HOOKED! But I have to say the last time I rode it; I came away with a giant headache. (this was before I read Bill's magic trick to riding rough woodies)

I'm sorry if Verbolten let you down. When we went in 2014 it was my favorite there with Griffon a close 2nd. I was lucky enough to ride BBW and was upset when they closed it but once I rode Verbolten, I was very happy with their choice of replacement. I didn't read any reviews or watch any POV's before I rode so, I totally wasn't expecting the drop track! I let out a legitimate scream the first time.