TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RMC Mine Train Coaster?

With theme park staples such as the log flume and the miniature railroad, another staple attraction is the classic Mine Train Coaster. These coasters were one of the things that put the firm known as Arrow Dynamics on the map. (now known as S&S Sansei) Many parks still have them (Disney, SFOT, SDC, etc.) and it makes me wonder with RMC revolutionizing the industry with their refurbs of classic wooden coasters along with their all new custom designs, it seems logical that Mine Trains could be their next big thing. Honestly I would love to see some classic Mine Train coasters put back into the spotlight with the use of their modern technology and theming style. Perhaps using a miniaturized version of their Iron Horse track system.

Discuss

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mine train concept from RMC that is family friendly would be amazing. It would be smooth and they could still include some light but surprising forces that would have riders laughing more than screaming.

I am all for this idea.

I wouldn't be against seeing a very thrilling and immersive coaster from them either, think of Expedition Everest as an RMC.

I dunno. I mean, RMC is building some of the most impressive rides in the world right now. Asking RMC to build a mine train is sort of like asking Ferrari to build a Toyota Corolla. And sure, if they ever get to the point where they need a project like that to take on, or maybe they need to expand their product offerings, I guess it would make sense. B&M did build a junior suspended coaster after all, so who knows. But I would think that with so many parks I'm sure knocking on their doors to build them the next "Wildfire" or "Outlaw Run" I can't imagine this is something they would *need* to offer. Not yet anyway. Just my thoughts on this...

What would be interesting is if they built them using the T-Rex track set up. That would probably help to make them more affordable. I could see this with new installations, but not as much with refurbishing Arrow Mine trains. The Mine Trains are the oldest group from Arrow (aside from Disney's unique attractions) of rollercoasters that exist today. While some are most certainly not the smoothest and in fairness a number of them could use some re-imagining in parts, they seem to be sufficient for the parks needs hence the reason that they have mostly not been torn down and replaced (unlike some of their loopers unfortunately). With wooden coaster transformations, it was usually because the coasters were either too rough, had a bad layout, were requiring constant repairs, or out of date. While it is easy to argue that an Arrow Mine train fits this, remember that the wooden coasters that have been transformed were not "family rides." The wooden coasters that Six Flags has replaced have been primarily adult level thrill rides. The family rides are important but at this point the flaws with existing rides has not warranted replacement to date or at least not seen as important enough (not saying it isn't just not seen that way at this point). What would be more interesting in my mind is if RMC could convert an existing steel looper with their track and style and do it correctly. Do you think that would be possible?

What would be interesting is if they built them using the T-Rex track set up. That would probably help to make them more affordable. I could see this with new installations, but not as much with refurbishing Arrow Mine trains. The Mine Trains are the oldest group from Arrow (aside from Disney's unique attractions) of rollercoasters that exist today. While some are most certainly not the smoothest and in fairness a number of them could use some re-imagining in parts, they seem to be sufficient for the parks needs hence the reason that they have mostly not been torn down and replaced (unlike some of their loopers unfortunately). With wooden coaster transformations, it was usually because the coasters were either too rough, had a bad layout, were requiring constant repairs, or out of date. While it is easy to argue that an Arrow Mine train fits this, remember that the wooden coasters that have been transformed were not "family rides." The wooden coasters that Six Flags has replaced have been primarily adult level thrill rides. The family rides are important but at this point the flaws with existing rides has not warranted replacement to date or at least not seen as important enough (not saying it isn't just not seen that way at this point). What would be more interesting in my mind is if RMC could convert an existing steel looper with their track and style and do it correctly. Do you think that would be possible?

I like the idea! I'm not sure how it would work, but it sounds promising.

Although once, I had a dream where they RMC'd a boomerang and it still sucked...

It is an intriguing idea, especially if RMC can really establish themselves (and I think they're well on their way) as a company that creates durable, long lasting rides that track well and are reasonably priced, insofar as they really separate themselves from the competition from a park appeal standpoint. It is something to note that just about every coaster company provides a wide variety of models and types, so it will be cool to see how RMC develops and expands their repertoire of offerings in the years to come.

I do think that should a park ever approach RMC for a less intense concept, RMC would be able to deliver in spades (look at Gravity Group's family woodies, or Intamin's smaller accelerators). I do agree with Robb though that it isn't something they need to explore at this moment because they have so much momentum with their current offerings. But if the demand is there and a park wants it... it would be cool to see a lot of the older, more uncomfortable, almost outdated mine train rides be reimagined by RMC.

I could see them diversifying in the family friendly category. They have already expanded so that they could handle more projects, I wouldn't be surprised to see them expand their catalog. Even if they don't *need* it, people generally want to make more money.

A mine train? Probably not. I think they will come up with a unique solution if/when the time is right. RMC isn't really a "me too!" kind of company.

Family coaster market is REALLY competitive and European companies are kind of dominating the market now. Unless RMC can make something really special, like making a signature element such as Intamin/Zierer's drop track, I'm not sure jumping into that market is a good choice. RMC still isn't a huge company that has plenty of money to invest in establishing a new product line. Somewhere down the road, they'all have to expand their product line more but now they are doing fine.

Family coaster market is REALLY competitive and European companies are kind of dominating the market now. Unless RMC can make something really special, like making a signature element such as Intamin/Zierer's drop track, I'm not sure jumping into that market is a good choice. RMC still isn't a huge company that has plenty of money to invest in establishing a new product line. Somewhere down the road, they'all have to expand their product line more but now they are doing fine.

Making the step up underflip into a family friendly element is all they need to do and the market is theirs.

I don't like the idea. RMC is a young company that builds world-class rides. I wouldn't want their time being taken up by a "family" coaster.

What I do like is the idea of having a coaster that looks like a mine train in terms of appearance, but is certainly not a mine train in terms of intensity. RMC certainly could handle the layout, though I'm not sure that their current track styles look "mine train" enough.

I don't like the idea. RMC is a young company that builds world-class rides. I wouldn't want their time being taken up by a "family" coaster.

What I do like is the idea of having a coaster that looks like a mine train in terms of appearance, but is certainly not a mine train in terms of intensity. RMC certainly could handle the layout, though I'm not sure that their current track styles look "mine train" enough.

World class and family coaster don't have to be mutually exclusive. Take Skull Mountain for example

The first drop is awesome in the back row, but that's one moment on an entire coaster, and just for two people. It's hardly world class, and I wouldn't want Intamin to spend time building something like that at the expense of another Skyrush or Millennium Force.

Don't think RMC needs to expand their product line anymore right now. It's a possibility for when they aren't booked solid, but it sure doesn't seem like there is any end in sight to the RMC conversions!

Maybe they could smoothen out some jerky mine trains like Cedar Creek Mine Ride.

I also have a wish that they I-Box some Arrow/Vekoma/Togo rough looping coasters. Imagine an I-Box'd Manhattan Express or SLC?

They've made a name of turning rough wooden coasters into smooth wooden/steel coasters. So how about turning rough steel coasters into smooth steel coasters?

Hmm. Intersting idea. I don't see it happening any time soon since RMC is too busy doing all those makeovers in the near future. But if RMC ever does build a mine train, I'd certainly want to try it out and see how it turns out. Something along the lines of Thunderation would be fun.

They certainly can do a mine train, Alan Schilke designed Road Runner Express at SFFT.

This was one of the things that made me think that RMC could eventually expand into working on building or refurbishing the old style Mine Train coasters since they are still quite popular, are usually themed very well, and provide a nice stepping stone to the bigger and more extreme coasters for kids and families. Of course they could still crank it up a notch as they did to some of the classic wood coasters. They already have a few ex Arrow engineers and designers such as Alan in their ranks either directly or indirectly. And when you look at the way an RMC wooden coaster is built, particularly with the Iron Horse track system, it is essentially a bigger and more extreme version of the classic Mine Train coaster. Steel tracks on a wooden support structure.

Video documentary with him can be found here: http://legacyofarrow.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Schilke