TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2017 Worst Year for new coasters in U.S. ?

I would take an obvious improvement in overall experience of guests over a major coaster. I love RMC, Intamin, Gerstlauer just like every other enthusiast but an area re-theme, improvement in park infrastructures, better queue line design, area music, healthier and better food options etc are equally appreciated.

Great points, as much as I'd love another coaster at great adventure I'm very happy to have justice league coming in and I would been even more thrilled if they added some new shows and put some money into making them really good. I have a lot of friends and family who are just not into coasters but I'd love to take them to the park and see some good shows, go on rides like justice league, hit up the safari and call it a great day.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm okay with it. We haven't been doing many parks in the past couple of years like we were doing in previous years anyway.

Given that Michael has been battling some health issues this year, we only got to CP, KD and DL, but we're hoping to hit up some of the Texas and Florida parks once he gets better. ALL of the Texas parks would be new for us and we would probably also want to hit up SDC for the first time if we head down that way.

Definitely looking forward to all those new parks, coasters and rides!

I'm surprised it took 4 pages for someone to say this, because this is the obvious answer for me:
I think posters here (not necessarily lurkers) enjoy thinking about new ride designs and following the construction process in the ‘off season‘--especially when they can imagine/plan a trip to ride them…even if that trip might be years off. For the majority of US-based readers this would be a domestic trip, so when less is on the horizon there’s less to dream about.

It’s amazing the difference in forum activity for a park when a new coaster is rumored-announced-construction starts-vertical-topped-testing-opened-new rider reports. Many parks disappear from the front page outside of this cycle.

For me, it has nothing to do with past additions being stale, or feeling entitled, or not having places to visit. It just makes the off-season more exciting to follow the construction and general unfolding of an impressive new ride. I, too, realized recently that this was an off-year. It struck me as odd because it's the first year I remember in a while that none of the major US chains/parks have announced a huge new project by this time, but like others said, it gives me next year to catch up on recent additions I haven't been able to ride yet.

While even with construction, enthusiasts still get into the most effing obnoxious conversations, at least there's some new obnoxiousness to chuckle about.

This is where I come down on this as well! I think sometimes it's easy to take pot shots at "enthusiasts" in general, but there are plenty of people who enjoy following new coaster announcements, who aren't spoiled, or entitled. Me, for instance. It's just fun and exciting to see, regardless of whether it's a place that I'm even going to be able to go any time soon!

Also, I HAVE to come to the defense of my fellow Kraken lover! Kraken is a Top 10 coaster for me (Out of 230), and is better, in my opinion and preference, than 1) any coaster at Busch Gardens Tampa (another park I love), and 2) better than all the coasters at Cedar Point except Millennium Force and Maverick. BOOM!!! I too, am disappointed about the addition of VR, primarily for the effect on the line, but it will probably be cool, given the theme of the coaster. If I make it down to Sea World next year, I'll probably give it a try, at least once.

so it does kind of stink if you're stuck with the same rides from last year all over the country, not just at your home park

Everytime I see a comment like this I remember how the only thing the only thing South Korea has had, especially when compared to their neighbors in Japan and China, since 2008 in terms of roller-coasters is a Vekoma Family Suspended clone and the only real thrill rides since then, apart from a disk-o, have been an air race and zamperla discovery revolution which came this year. So some

2017 may not be great for new coasters, but I feel that what we lack in coasters, we gained in flat rides. We're getting 3 troikas, a top scan, a condor, a wave swinger, a giant Frisbee, 2 star flyers, and 3 S&S Shot Towers.

*Two giant frisbees

and you forgot the Mondial Inferno coming at CW and Spinsanity at SFStL

Neither six flags in california getting a new coaster helped make the decision not to get 2017 passes. A dark ride at Magic Mountain and the frisbee ride at Discovery Kingdom both look alright. But they aren't anything I *need* to go on unlike say Joker this year.

Obviously, it's your money, do what you want with it, but this is the kind of thinking that Robb was talking about. Why not get a season pass just to ride Joker and TC, which are both stellar rides? Even if SFDK and SFMM don't get new coasters for 10 years, I'm still going to visit the parks because there are some awesome existing rides.

Neither six flags in california getting a new coaster helped make the decision not to get 2017 passes. A dark ride at Magic Mountain and the frisbee ride at Discovery Kingdom both look alright. But they aren't anything I *need* to go on unlike say Joker this year.

LOL. DK got a coaster in 2016 and MM in 2015. They weren't really at the top of the cue for a new coaster. 2 of thee parks that got 4D's hadn;t had something new for longer periods, ie.. SFOT not since 2011. 2018 the new coasters are likely IMO, not going to in CA parks either b/c OG, Am, Stl are in desperate need and haven't gotten anything since 2011, 2012, 2013 respectively. I think OG and Am will get a RMC conversion or a 4D and Stl a 4D. LaRonde could also be in for a coaster, none since 2010, if 1 of the above is left out or possibly if SF is feeling really good about the finances.

2017 may not be great for new coasters, but I feel that what we lack in coasters, we gained in flat rides. We're getting 3 troikas, a top scan, a condor, a wave swinger, a giant Frisbee, 2 star flyers, and 3 S&S Shot Towers.

*Two giant frisbees

and you forgot the Mondial Inferno coming at CW and Spinsanity at SFStL

La Ronde and CW aren't in the U.S.

New is cool and grabs attention. I can get tired of going to the same old park a little and definitely can get tired of dragging my ass around in them, but any decent coaster ride and I remember why I'm there. I'd really have to work on it to actually get bored with a coaster, merely riding something a couple thousand times over the last 20-40 years doesn't come close.

It worked out great with my local park's last big addition, but I actually have a concern of a fancy new ride bringing in tons of people far beyond the increase in the park's capacity, thus harming the whole park and contributing very little usable value.

I'm okay with it. We haven't been doing many parks in the past couple of years like we were doing in previous years anyway.

Given that Michael has been battling some health issues this year, we only got to CP, KD and DL, but we're hoping to hit up some of the Texas and Florida parks once he gets better. ALL of the Texas parks would be new for us and we would probably also want to hit up SDC for the first time if we head down that way.

Definitely looking forward to all those new parks, coasters and rides!

^This We haven't been dealing with health issues, but with a wedding coming up and a new baby in the house (not ours, our nieces...but still...) we haven't done any trips this year and only did one to SDC last year. An "off" year will give parks a chance to improve infrastructure, and us a chance to get out there and ride some new things that we've missed.

Everyone have a collective sigh of relief, looks like Kennywood really is getting a coaster next year!

Rumors say it's for 2018, not next year, but you never know.

I do wonder how much the economy plays into this. Given the fact that it's an election year, and many businesses are scaling back in general. My work has laid off close to a quarter of their staff in the past 6 months or so because of it. How does the projected 2017 year so far compare to the worst year around the 2008 recession?

Personally, I use "down years" to return to somewhere I've been dying to revisit, go to places I've never been, and/or finally get that noteworthy coaster everyone's been raving about for years, whether it's 10 years old or 2 years old.

2017 will be a great year for coasters and parks for me, as I will go to several parks that are new for me in a country I've never been to before. I may also visit a park or few I've never to before in the U.S. like Holiday World, which may not have anything new for 2017, but everything there would be new for me.

Suit yourself. X2, Twisted Colossus, Tatsu, and The Joker all within a few hours drive from me and a dirt cheap annual pass that includes parking and Hurricane Harbor was enough for me to renew for 2017.

Seriously people, think of 2017 as a year to catch up on rides you have missed, revisiting favorite parks, or going to places and parks that you have never been to before. And if you can afford it, plan a trip to a country you haven't been to before.

I feel your pain. A membership that costs approximately 5 bucks a month sounds a little bit steep when all you have to choose from are two year-round parks, both of which are getting awesome new additions and between them they have over 30 coasters including 2 RMC's.

I must have missed this. Which park is getting a condor?! The only condor news I know about is Hershey taking theirs out for a smaller version of Power Tower.

While a bunch of new coasters would obviously be awesome, 2017 seems to be taking a different route and that's cool too. I haven't ridden a Justice League but am excited for that at SFGAdv. The closest I've been on is KD's Boo Blasters and BGW's DarKastle which are both fun when they're actually working properly. However, I'd give up 2 years of any ride additions whatsoever if it meant SFGAdv would make their bathrooms a bit nicer. Same for some of KD and CP's bathrooms especially the one by Skyhawk. At those and other parks I'd like another tarp or two put up in certain queue lines, maybe some more benches put around, and trees/flowers. Sprucing the place up here and there goes a long way and I'm hoping that'll be some of the case for 2017.

If there aren't any new large coasters announced in the next couple months it'll make for a more boring/quiet off-season here for sure, but that doesn't mean I won't still enjoy the chat on TPR. We were able to go to Carowinds for the first time this year, twice, to try out Fury and next year will get to Dollywood for the first time when LR is hopefully running more consistently. SO has never been to Kennywood and we may stop there. I'll be going to SFMM for the first time in 17 years in March. Sometimes not having a major new hotness means a less packed park and/or trying out other places you haven't been before like someone else mentioned. Either way, I enjoy the speculation!

^Worlds of Fun is getting a Condor in 2017!

I feel your pain. A membership that costs approximately 5 bucks a month sounds a little bit steep when all you have to choose from are two year-round parks, both of which are getting awesome new additions and between them they have over 30 coasters including 2 RMC's.

(with coasterbill at the wheel)

I must have missed this. Which park is getting a condor?! The only condor news I know about is Hershey taking theirs out for a smaller version of Power Tower.

While a bunch of new coasters would obviously be awesome, 2017 seems to be taking a different route and that's cool too. I haven't ridden a Justice League but am excited for that at SFGAdv. The closest I've been on is KD's Boo Blasters and BGW's DarKastle which are both fun when they're actually working properly. However, I'd give up 2 years of any ride additions whatsoever if it meant SFGAdv would make their bathrooms a bit nicer. Same for some of KD and CP's bathrooms especially the one by Skyhawk. At those and other parks I'd like another tarp or two put up in certain queue lines, maybe some more benches put around, and trees/flowers. Sprucing the place up here and there goes a long way and I'm hoping that'll be some of the case for 2017.

If there aren't any new large coasters announced in the next couple months it'll make for a more boring/quiet off-season here for sure, but that doesn't mean I won't still enjoy the chat on TPR. We were able to go to Carowinds for the first time this year, twice, to try out Fury and next year will get to Dollywood for the first time when LR is hopefully running more consistently. SO has never been to Kennywood and we may stop there. I'll be going to SFMM for the first time in 17 years in March. Sometimes not having a major new hotness means a less packed park and/or trying out other places you haven't been before like someone else mentioned. Either way, I enjoy the speculation!

The Condor is going to Worlds of Fun, along with a Troika.

• 1 month later...

Personally I'm looking forward to the new addition to my home park SF Great America(The Joker) as i never been on a coaster like that. Although i admit i wish they could of made it more like X2. While i never been on that ride or even to MM at all sadly,i heard a lot of good about it and it looks awesome too! Still I'm excited for Joker maybe it will be surprisingly "AWESOME!!!!" oppose to just the "meh....yea i guess it was pretty fun....could be better though"