TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

True Coaster Credits

I ended up only getting 9 credits at Cedar Point because I was spending my time getting tons of re-rides on Maverick, MF, TTD, etc. rather than wasting my time at the kiddie and/or crap coasters. I don't regret it at all, and really felt like I got to take away so much more from my trip than if I had gotten the 17 credits and "checked it off the list." There was also the benefit of riding Maverick 8 times, which is never a bad thing!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my thoughts (Since most people on this site know i am the whore that will go thousands of miles out of my way for one more coaster).

For me it is about the experience, sure i love coasters, but it is not like i do these trips by myself. I travel with my friends and we have visited some very far and out of the way places. Its not about the Wacky Worm, or the roller skater, its about finding some BEAUTIFUL parks sometimes that are way way out there. In Indonesia we found at least 2 parks that would of been skipped if you just looked at large credits, but they ended up being LOTS of fun. In Nova Scotia canada one of the small parks took 20 minutes out of there day to talk to us about the history of there miler. In Guatemala we got to see a great zoo!

I am obsessive, and definitely what some would consider the worst of the worst of credit whores, but i have fun! i have been to 28 different countries and all 50 states to find new parks. The people i travel with though are friends that i love spending time with and i wouldnt change it for the world. I have ridden 1087 coasters, and next year am going to India and will be traveling around to get all there Worms and Water Chutes. I expect to find some great parks that most people would of skipped because there was no B&M/Intamin/RMC there

I honestly do think going out of your way for obscure credits can be fun. I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars or anything but if there's a park nearby somewhere with a kiddie coaster and I'm with some buddies that enjoy coasters we might do it just for the experience.

There is a huge difference between going out of your way for an obscure coaster and cannibalizing time at a good park for something crappy and stupid.

Personally, I stopped counting completely so that I wouldn't be tempted with a crappy and stupid roller coaster.

Something "obscure and unique" is one thing. Leaving a decent park, getting in your car, and driving an hour for some shitty Wacky Worm is another. IMO, if that's the thing kind thing you're into, that's great, knock yourself out, but we would have little in common.

As an example... When we went to India. We went out of our way to do the funky indoor looping roller coaster in a mall, but we skipped the crappy parks with shitty kiddie coasters that were only 30 minutes away in favor of spending more time at Adlabs Imagica and actually seeing Mumbai. Since I no longer count "credits" I didn't care about making an extra trip to ride dumb roller coasters and instead chose "quality over quantity."

That's all I'm trying to say.

Just my thoughts on the matter...

I personally, agree with robb i do count credits but i also like going to parks for some serious amounts of fun... For example Kings Island. i haven't been there in over 7 year's and went last season still a great place with good rides and some fun. i personally didn't count the credits just came to have fun.

Here are my thoughts (Since most people on this site know i am the whore that will go thousands of miles out of my way for one more coaster).

#DUMB

I am obsessive

#UNDERSTATEMENT

Its not about the Wacky Worm, or the roller skater

#LIE

its about finding some BEAUTIFUL parks sometimes that are way way out there. the bragging rights and feeling better about myself. Here, let me list a bunch of obscure places I've been so you can see how AWESOME I am compared to you. I'll try to convince you these shitholes we visited are actually amazing parks, but really I'm just trying to impress you because I'm insecure:

#FIXED

In Nova Scotia canada one of the small parks took 20 minutes out of there day to talk to us about the history of there miler. next year am going to India and will be traveling around to get all there Worms and Water Chutes.

#DUMB

...and not just because you don't know the difference between "there" and "their"

I have ridden 1087 coasters

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

#DUMB

I am obsessive

#UNDERSTATEMENT

Its not about the Wacky Worm, or the roller skater

#LIE

its about finding some BEAUTIFUL parks sometimes that are way way out there. the bragging rights and feeling better about myself. Here, let me list a bunch of obscure places I've been so you can see how AWESOME I am compared to you. I'll try to convince you these shitholes we visited are actually amazing parks, but really I'm just trying to impress you because I'm insecure:

#FIXED

In Nova Scotia canada one of the small parks took 20 minutes out of there day to talk to us about the history of there miler. next year am going to India and will be traveling around to get all there Worms and Water Chutes.

#DUMB

...and not just because you don't know the difference between "there" and "their"

I have ridden 1087 coasters

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread. If anybody would like to lock or merge it, go for it.

I'm sitting at 327.

I usually ride things like boomerangs because some of them are actually kind of fun, then I subsequently count them in an Excel spreadsheet. I don't count things like powered coasters, re-locations (ie riding Invertigo at CGA then again at Dorney), or random events like Hulk being re-built. I guess it's partly for hobbyist purposes, partly so that if I'm filling out the Mitch Hawker poll I can remember if I rode one of the more insignificant credits like Comet at Waldameer, where I'd be like "did I ride that back in 2008?"

I've never been on a Wacky Worm and I won't steal anyone's child to get one of the mini-coasters, and I think it's kind of creepy to ride some of the kiddie coasters, since people just look at you funny. I rode Woodstock Express on my trip to Carowinds (PTR updated soon) because I'd never been on any of the painted Cedar Fair woodies and wanted to see how it rode.

I also would never plan a trip for dumb credits, and I agree with what's been said before, I'm not going to leave a major park where I'm having a good time, just to get some random credit. Now, if the major park closes at 6, the credit closes at 9, and it's on my way to where I'm going next, then maybe we'll stop by.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this thread. If anybody would like to lock or merge it, go for it.

I'm actually having a really good time responding in it! And besides, Rick knows everything I said is 100% true!

Edited by robbalvey

I'm somewhat of a credit whore. I'll almost always ride all of the coasters at a park that I'm visiting, and sometimes I'll go out of my way to get some credits. For instance, I did go about 45 min out of my way up in Nor Cal to get that Crazy Dane Coaster at Scandia this year, and I enjoyed doing that, plus I got to see Sacramento. It really all depends on "Do I want to do this?".

On a trip, I'll keep credit whoring places as optional places that I might go to if I'm in the mood. For instance, going to the Deep South this summer, I hit up that Dixieland Park in GA to get that Screaming Eagle credit after landing. It wasn't too far out of the way, it was a fun little ride, and it gave me something to do before driving up to Charlotte. But later that same trip, I was thinking about doing that NASCAR park in Pigeon Forge after Dollywood to get that credit, but I just wasn't in the mood to stop there after a long day at Dollywood and skipped it (though I did do Sideshow Spin that day).

All in all, my credit count is just for fun. It's just a sport and a hobby for me (Count is 534 right now). And whether I do go out of my way to get a kiddy credit pretty much boils down to one question. "Am I in the mood to do this or would I rather be doing something else?". For instance, I thought about doing a weekend trip to get all those kiddy credits in Nor Cal, but always figured I'd rather spend that money on other stuff. But you never know. I may decide to do it one of those days. Though I won't go to some third world country for a Wacky Worm since I'd rather go other places, if I do go there, I'd want to do other non-coaster stuff (though who knows? If it's in the middle of the city and I'm in a whorish mood, I might make a quick stop and get it), cause at the end of the day, like everyone else said, it's all about having fun and enjoying yourself.

That really made you sound like a sad person with nothing better to do than to drive for an hour + just to pay to go on a coaster with a load of kids on it.

Personally, I count just to find out my milestone coasters (like the new Ghostrider at #50), but I won't take time that I could be riding an RMC to ride a kid coaster in Looney Tunes Seaport, or Ghostrider for the 14th time to ride Wilderness Run once. I don't even bother with kid coasters anymore, and the only ones I've ridden are when I was 5, and my count could be above 65 right now if I had ridden all 5 kiddie coasters at SFMM instead of riding Twisted again, or riding Cobra and Road Runner Express instead of The Joker for the 3rd time in a day. The one thing I will do is ride clones, but that really only applies to Scream/Medusa, and the two boomerangs in California.

Today I had the opportunity to ride my 50th credit, but I turned it down. I cycled to a local fair and to my surprise there was a go gator powered rollercoaster there. However, I chose not to ride for a few reasons. 1. It was full of kids and I only ride kiddy coasters if there are not trains full of people with dummies in their mouth. 2. There were some other good rides at the fair which I would prefer to have spend my money on. 3. It was on the verge of not being a rollercoaster. If you have ever seen a go gator, you will know it barely runs on its own gravity at all. 4. There were some people I know well there and I did not want to be ridiculed 5. And finally and most importantly, I am hoping to get on Olympia looping and make it an epic land mark #50 rollercoasrter, not whatever that thing was.

P9173340.thumb.JPG.2013fe8ba32ec4cada0bd037334ce42c.JPG

Yeah...no

P9173341.thumb.JPG.2bce5d21ab3fbe4e2a9fee06dfc095f8.JPG

It had a nice lighting package though

P9173344.thumb.JPG.0406d72c5648c2981d22651b0b75b42c.JPG

Mums waiting outside

P9173345.thumb.JPG.0088c62ab53bafe80ec7668464c193eb.JPG

To cred or not to cred, that is the question. I was happier not riding this and all you people who would ride this, shame on you.

I always made sure I never made credits number one priority, hence why coasters I've ridden and my credits count are not the same number (I know odd) because all kiddy coasters I know I've ridden aren't on the credit list and it's almost 10 years since I've a kiddy, so my credit count is 74 but I can easily crank it up to 85 if I cared that much about a number. I'm also very selective to which parks I visit so a park with no interesting coasters or just one are parks I'm sure to stay away, also some times I like to visit a park but because of it's location and the hassle I have to go to for just one park that isn't worth it those I skip also.

But there was one this year that I allowed myself to bend all rules for, Wildfire, but come on that ride derived it.

i haven't even ridden all the coasters at my home park magic mountain. i only rode one kiddie coaster when my niece was small. lol

I'm pretty sure there are a couple of new smaller coasters that have opened up within an hour drive of Orlando. We haven't bothered with them and have no plans to.

Edited by robbalvey

Ha, this is an interesting thread. I really appreciate some your comments, Robb, and it's great to hear from someone as well-travelled as you.

This is something I've been thinking about, especially after a few people (strangers!) asked me about my count this year. It really hit me that it's not the number of coasters on your count that matters so much as which parks and which coasters you've been on that are genuinely good and remind you why you love this hobby so much. I've met some downright embarrassing enthusiasts who are too obsessed with credit counts and leave me shaking my head. Whatever makes them feel more important in life, I guess. I've actually racked up a lot of "credits" this year, but to me it's more exciting that I've gotten to ride several AWESOME coasters and go to AWESOME parks and have a ton of fun! Heck, I don't count them, but some of my favorite ride experiences this year have been on flats.

I'm getting less and less interested in riding all the coasters in a park than getting my "fill" of whichever is my favorite or the one I came there for in the first place or even riding a non-coaster ride I know I'll enjoy. I've still admittedly ridden some coasters here and there that could be argued as credit whoring, but only if the line is nonexistent and I know I have plenty of time in the day and just wanna change things up a bit. Also, I think Robb's comment about it being a "completion" thing would probably be accurate to describe me.

I am a bit fascinated with numbers and milestones so I do keep a spreadsheet for my own benefit, and it's really cool to see in writing all the places I've visited, but I don't like to wave it in people's faces, that's just stupid.