TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rocky Mountain Construction 2017?

Was just thinking, if a customer asked..RMC could probably mock up an inverted T-Rex or Raptor track coaster, right?

Only limitations would be to design a new inverted train.

There is a lot of engineering involved there... It's not as simple as flipping the track 180* and having the supports bolt on the top instead of the bottom. I doubt there is anyone on TPR that is qualified to even begin to answer that question.

Logically, I would think if RMC wanted to solicit bids for an inverted coaster they would have announced their method to go about such a project. I'd wager they don't have plans in place at this point in time.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^-- The twisting force on the track is higher with inverteds, so might not be a good match to monorail-like track. The look wouldn't be that much cleaner than a conventional inverted either. Otherwise, it's still a coaster but surely they'd want to do a sitdown coaster first.

• 3 weeks later...

I've come here to rant. Something is missing, and I think I know what it is.

Every year, RMC designed coasters have been the saving grace for my coaster enthusiasm. They've built genuinely fun, unique and interesting rides these past couple of years. But with them not constructing anything for 2017, and no other companies doing anything major (other then a Gravity Group in Florida), I think I'm going to take off 2017 from being a coaster nerd since there's hardly anything to be enthusiastic about in the US. Wake me up when somebody decides to do something interesting again. (And hopefully it's more than just CP 2018).

Until then, I guess I just check in periodically to see what cool happenings are going down in China?

First off, 1) just because RMC has not announced anything does not mean it is not happening. They are under contract. (Not getting into that debate). 2) what did that post have to do about this topic??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, 1) just because RMC has not announced anything does not mean it is not happening. They are under contract. (Not getting into that debate). 2) what did that post have to do about this topic??

Some what random, I get that. Just thought the RMC construction (or lack there of) for 2017 would be the place since my lack of enthusiasm stems from lack of new RMCs in my life? haha

But since we're on the topic, even if nothing is announced, there's been a dearth of credible rumors or construction for something major this upcoming season leaves me to believe nothing is happening this year. If there's something I've missed, I'd love to be keyed into it.

Some what random, I get that. Just thought the RMC construction (or lack there of) for 2017 would be the place since my lack of enthusiasm stems from lack of new RMCs in my life? haha

But since we're on the topic, even if nothing is announced, there's been a dearth of credible rumors or construction for something major this upcoming season leaves me to believe nothing is happening this year. If there's something I've missed, I'd love to be keyed into it.

True. I get your frustration. 2017 is not going to be a big year for coasters in America. But one big thing to note about RMC, they have something huge planned (not just MS) because they went from 4 coasters in one year, expanded factory to nothing next year? That seems odd to me. Even if MS is announced for 2017, that would only place 1 RMC. So I have a feeling 2018 will be big. Or RMC is building more track for other companies like they do for S&S

I find it extremely odd that they don't have any projects for 2017, it's almost as if the LR debacle caused more problems than RMC is willing to admit. Maybe MS and Hurler were originally slated for '17 but got pushed back due to ongoing problems with LR.

Yes RMC is fabricating track for 4 S&S FFs, but they're only 1200ft of track a piece. They're not fabricating supports, trains, etc; Compare that to what they had to fabricate for the 2016 projects.

I find it extremely odd that they don't have any projects for 2017, it's almost as if the LR debacle caused more problems than RMC is willing to admit. Maybe MS and Hurler were originally slated for '17 but got pushed back due to ongoing problems with LR.

Yes RMC is fabricating track for 4 S&S FFs, but they're only 1200ft of track a piece. They're not fabricating supports, trains, etc; Compare that to what they had to fabricate for the 2016 projects.

I doubt this has anything to do with LR for 2 reasons. Rides are planned years in advance so any 2017 sales were made before Lightning Rod was even constructed. That, and anyone who is actually a major player in the industry has a much better understanding of the issues with that coaster than any of us. It won't effect their sales. Intamin had to mess up for YEARS to destroy those relationships with the major US chains.

I doubt this has anything to do with LR for 2 reasons. Rides are planned years in advance so any 2017 sales were made before Lightning Rod was even constructed. That, and anyone who is actually a major player in the industry has a much better understanding of the issues with that coaster than any of us. It won't effect their sales. Intamin had to mess up for YEARS to destroy those relationships with the major US chains.

Well we know rides are PLANNED years in advance, that goes without saying. However, being that RMC is pretty much hands on with everything (construction, track fabrication, trains) shake ups within the company couldve caused them to delay construction of future projects. ESPECIALLY if those projects were to include launch systems similar to LR.

Not saying this is only scenario, but find it odd that RMC would go from 4 projects in '16 to gilch in '17. Again maybe this was all planned, but just seems odd

Well so far at least meaner streak is happening 100%. If any other parks want launched RMCs they'll probably outsource to a different manufacturer. That being said the launch has been working pretty well. They've had a slew of other issues though. I got lucky and picked up 4 laps on LR before I moved away.

While 2017 is a bit dry, the real reason could be the fact that the USA was completely spoiled in 2014, 2015, and 2016 with huge B&Ms both inside and outside the Cedar Fair chain, several RMCs, and other unique rides.

We're still getting quite a few coasters next year (particularly wooden ones), but a year like 2017 was bound to happen at some point. Like others, I'm using it as an opportunity to go out and visit places I didn't get to this year (Kings Dominion and Carowinds, hopefully, to name a few).

Every year, RMC designed coasters have been the saving grace for my coaster enthusiasm. They've built genuinely fun, unique and interesting rides these past couple of years. But with them not constructing anything for 2017, and no other companies doing anything major (other then a Gravity Group in Florida), I think I'm going to take off 2017 from being a coaster nerd since there's hardly anything to be enthusiastic about in the US. Wake me up when somebody decides to do something interesting again. (And hopefully it's more than just CP 2018).

Until then, I guess I just check in periodically to see what cool happenings are going down in China?

I'm sorry, but I think that mentality is just silly! There's nothing to be enthusiastic about in the United States? How about all the parks, coasters, and rides that, oh, I don't know, already exist? If your life as a coaster enthusiast is driven strictly by Rocky Mountain's installations, then I feel sorry for you. I wish that I could financially afford to be able to say, "maybe I'll take off from being a coaster enthusiast this year because there isn't anything new and exciting" - I'm happy getting to a single park at all in a year nowadays, even if it is Knoebels again. Knoebels is literally the only park I was able to make it to in 2016 (unless you count Disney Springs), and only because I was able to get on the last plane home when the hurricane ripped through southeast Georgia back in October.

I wish that I could go ride all the Rocky Mountain Construction coasters, I wish I could go to all the Disney parks, I wish I could go on a Scandi Tour, but right now, I can't. So any time that I get to a park, whether it be Knoebels and Fun Spot, which I have visited the most, or some place new like Dollywood last year, it's a wonderful experience that makes me romp and jump around like a small child. I don't care how many times I've ridden the same coaster or gone to the same park - my enthusiasm comes from going to go play in the park and riding the coasters, regardless of what amazing new attraction was most recently installed.

^^-- I feel like if that's his attitude, maybe he's right. But riding coasters is not all about novelty and newness. It can even be more a case of bonding with a place you've been going your whole life. And in yet another view, to me it's more a case of if I'm on a coaster or not, than which one it is. Thinking about if a normal good coaster is still fun after riding an extreme and great one (meaning last weekend not 5 minutes ago), they're both fun, the biggest difference is the extreme coaster has me going OMG, jaw drops, lots more thinking this is so over the top it's ridiculous. Much bigger difference there in amazement than in fun.

I get excited about going to a new park, while the thought of another trip to the local park makes it hard to get off my lazy ass -- but whenever I get on a decent coaster it all comes back.

P.S. Maybe RMC needs a year off to come up with something new or just more time to beat themselves. Go ride the existing ones for what they did.

I'm sorry, but I think that mentality is just silly! There's nothing to be enthusiastic about in the United States? How about all the parks, coasters, and rides that, oh, I don't know, already exist? If your life as a coaster enthusiast is driven strictly by Rocky Mountain's installations, then I feel sorry for you. I wish that I could financially afford to be able to say, "maybe I'll take off from being a coaster enthusiast this year because there isn't anything new and exciting" - I'm happy getting to a single park at all in a year nowadays, even if it is Knoebels again. Knoebels is literally the only park I was able to make it to in 2016 (unless you count Disney Springs), and only because I was able to get on the last plane home when the hurricane ripped through southeast Georgia back in October.

I wish that I could go ride all the Rocky Mountain Construction coasters, I wish I could go to all the Disney parks, I wish I could go on a Scandi Tour, but right now, I can't. So any time that I get to a park, whether it be Knoebels and Fun Spot, which I have visited the most, or some place new like Dollywood last year, it's a wonderful experience that makes me romp and jump around like a small child. I don't care how many times I've ridden the same coaster or gone to the same park - my enthusiasm comes from going to go play in the park and riding the coasters, regardless of what amazing new attraction was most recently installed.

THIS x1000!