TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rocky Mountain Construction 2017?

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is still possible that they will remove the entire structure, but if they are doing an RMC conversion, which they either absolutely are or just hardcore trolling us, then it will open in 2017, otherwise they wouldn't need to close MS early. It will take 9 months or less to complete removal of the unnecessary supports and RMC construction even with the winter weather, and there would be no reason to let the structure sit for a year if they were doing the conversion. Twisted Colossus was a roughly equal sized project, and while in nicer weather, it was completed within 6 months.

But the lift hill also burned down during construction.

PART of the lift, and it was a small setback. The ride still started construction in August and wouldn't have opened before Memorial Day since that's when SF opens all its rides. It simply isn't reasonable to assume that Mean Streak would be able to magically get done by May at this point. No other RMC has been built that fast.

STILL no official RMC announcements for 2017! robbalvey, do you have any leads you'd be willing to share? Besides Mean Streak, the only other hints are for Hurler at KD and potentially something at Kennywood. The company may be hurting financially somewhat after the difficulties with Lightning Rod.

STILL no official RMC announcements for 2017! robbalvey, do you have any leads you'd be willing to share? Besides Mean Streak, the only other hints are for Hurler at KD and potentially something at Kennywood. The company may be hurting financially somewhat after the difficulties with Lightning Rod.

I don't even know where to begin with this post.

He's very shy.

The truth was revealed by Vladimir Edward Konig, OMA, after his knighthood last week at Alton Towers. For 2017 a mystery Dutch company to be announced will take over manufacturing duties for RMC as they retrofit the unloved Lightning Rod, Phoenix, and Wildfire coasters to the Dooltyube track system.

Thanks to the Food Etc. snack staff (right side) at SFMM for this info on Saturday!

Predator at Darien Lake still seems like it could be a possibility along the way.

A few years back they had a survey regarding a transformation. Now this was 2014, and the park was under different management. Though it sounds like RMC at least had preliminary designs, so those could always be resurrected.

Darien-Lake-Lake-Monster-Roller-Coaster-2014-Survey.jpg.c14cd226e1cba7e1e7f54ee0d3cab9eb.jpg

So the IAAPA Euro show is about to take place. I could see potential RMC announcements there. Also, IAAPA here could still have a RMC announcement. I know November is late but you can get a lot of media coverage on it.

We could get something said from RMC themselves there about what they may have upcoming,but don't expect to see an actual coaster announcement there, that's unlikely.

I think it's important that we consider with IAAPA and the industry in general, the big chains and most of the good sized parks talk amongst each other and the main coaster designers and builders. If a park has one of an RMC I box or topper track hybrid, Gravity Group woodie, or GCI woodie from after 2004 or so, then chances are they won't be looking for another modern woodie or steel/wooden hybrid. GCI, GG, and RMC thus know their potential buyers, so when looking for parks that are rumored to be getting one of these coasters, we can gauge the rumor based on if the park already has one of these coasters or not. In the cases of CP, KD, Kennywood, and Darien Lake, they each do not have one of these modern wooden-ish coasters, so it makes sense that they would be in the market for one.

Does anyone else then know of any rumors as to parks suspected to be in the future receiving a coaster from RMC, GG, or GCI?

Predator at Darien Lake still seems like it could be a possibility along the way.

As strange as it sounds, an inside/full-time source told me some time ago that the proposal was from GCI. Those stock images used were purely promotional when the survey went around.

An RMC would be great for Predator, but I personally don't see it happening anytime soon.

I've also heard the rumblings a few years ago that GCI was in on the Predator fiasco. They've wanted to do an inversion for a while now, especially seeing that the other two big wooden companies have pulled it off.

It would be hard to believe that RMC didn't make a pitch at all, especially seeing that Herschend just came off a blockbuster attraction from them with Outlaw Run. Whatever happens to the ride, I just don't want it to lose any intensity. For me, the airtime and laterals on that ride make it an awesome layout, the roughness kills it for most people. The silver lining right now is that it gets in worse shape every year, and something major is going to have to be done soon to fix it again.

At this point any park that is getting an RMC coaster next year is hurting their potential extra season pass and special product sales by not announcing, or maybe RMC is letting the fame get to their head and aren't allowing the parks make the announcements yet. Either way, at this time last year we knew the layouts and exact details of all 4 RMC coasters that opened this year, and this hubris in thinking they can delay announcing will only lead to a lower return on investment.

Fred Grubb, the founder of RMC, has always seemed awkward and disinterested when doing interviews, so it wouldn't surprise me if he has an inclination for being slightly cocky or even egotistical. We all know that Alan Schilke is a little off his rocker in terms of his ideas and modus operandi, but he seems like the kind who would want everyone to know about his insane creations ASAP.