TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rocky Mountain Construction 2017?

Do you see how Robb posted after me and didn't rip me a new a**hole? If there was any chance that I was being serious he would have done that and then probably banned me for my unbelievable stupidity and he would have been entirely right to do so. But if you've seen any of my other posts basically ever you would know that I was being completely sarcastic (though pretty soon posts will start showing up saying the same thing minus the bar fight and they'll be entirely serious). Consider the source.

Again, I say... Never change, friend.

I'll try.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Don't worry, Bill...I've been ripped plenty of times over the years by people on here due to people taking my sarcasm and cynicism out of context. Luckily most of them have either left, no longer comment on my posts or trip reports...or better yet, they've been banned for pissing off the mods.

Oh, and I would certainly take an RMC any day of the week at Kennywood!

It really annoys me that people think the that only parks that would be able to get an RMC coaster are Six Flags or Cedar Fair. Maybe this next round of projects are going to parks that were waiting patiently for an RMC but couldn't get one yet because they were booked up with lots of other recent projects?

I have a feeling some upcoming non Six Flags, non Cedar Fair announcements will pleasantly surprise people.

Think about it. Did anyone see Storm Chaser coming?

Be patient. I know it's hard for some of you. But just be patient...

Kennywood RMC CONFIRMED!!!

Seriously though, if that is true, I am almost delirious at the thought of what wondrous creation RMC will fashion at Kennywood!

Silverwood makes a ton of sense, too given its proximity and previous working relationship with RMC. Additionally, a foreign park could be getting one as well, and typically aren't as hasty in their announcements as the US parks. If the purported 4 RMCs in 2017 rumor is actually true, I'd be surprised at this point. Especially considering the 3 S&S 4D Free Flys. We shall see, grasshoppers... We shall see...

And what will BGT be doing with Gwazi?

Will they keep it SBNO for another year

Oh, hey look at that... someone finally mentioned it!

I could only imagine what they would do with Gwazi. As rough as it got, I always thought Gwazi was a fun ride. If RMC got ahold of it.... wow. lol.

I still have a suspicious feeling that Cedar Point has something up its sleeve for Mean Streak next year. Since RMC hasn't announced any 2017 installments as of yet, I'm even more convinced. Kennywood and Silverwood are also likely possibilities.

Regardless of where it's installed, I'm crossing my fingers for a T-rex coaster somewhere soon! If not next year, at least 2018!

Regarding Cedar Fair parks getting any RMCs, at West Coast Bash on Sunday, Knott's VP of Maintenance and Construction, Jeff Gahagan, mentioned the only reason Cedar Fair didn't go with Topper Track on GhostRider was because they wanted to keep a classic woodie at the park. I took this to mean that Cedar Fair is not against using RMC, its they just haven't seen the right opportunity yet. Unlike Six Flags, who seemingly has decided wooden coasters should not exist (except El Toro), it seems that Cedar Fair has a respect for where their industry has come from.

Regarding Cedar Fair parks getting any RMCs, at West Coast Bash on Sunday, Knott's VP of Maintenance and Construction, Jeff Gahagan, mentioned the only reason Cedar Fair didn't go with Topper Track on GhostRider was because they wanted to keep a classic woodie at the park. I took this to mean that Cedar Fair is not against using RMC, its they just haven't seen the right opportunity yet. Unlike Six Flags, who seemingly has decided wooden coasters should not exist (except El Toro), it seems that Cedar Fair has a respect for where their industry has come from.

To be far so far every single coaster that Six Flags has given the treatment needed it.

To be far so far every single coaster that Six Flags has given the treatment needed it.

I'm not sure any wooden coaster really needs it. A wooden coaster can be well taken care of or poorly taken care of. It just depends on how well a park chooses to maintain their wooden coaster(s). There are very few wooden coasters that aren't good, many are just rough because of lack of consistent care.

I'm not sure any wooden coaster really needs it. A wooden coaster can be well taken care of or poorly taken care of. It just depends on how well a park chooses to maintain their wooden coaster(s). There are very few wooden coasters that aren't good, many are just rough because of lack of consistent care.

If I had a dollar for everyone who's about to show up and b*tch about Mean Streak's layout because of this post I'd be a rich man. Do you guys get mad when I steal your thunder? Good. Stay mad.

I for sure cant agree on that one. I can think of about 5 coasters off of the top of my head that no amount of retracking is going to turn them into a thrilling ride by todays standards. They may be tolerable after some tracking and re profiling but they'll still be medoicore wooden coasters. Georgia Cyclone is a perfect example. I do think that some rides are better off being restored, like Ghost Rider. I'm very glad that they decided to give that TLC instead of RMCing it. I hope when thunderhead starts to show signs of age that Dollywood does the same, and so on and so forth for coasters of a similar caliber. Boulder Dash is currently a great example of a coaster that could really use some TLC but would be a travesty to see RMCd.

lol I wouldn't worry about them ever converting it. There's no reason that a wood coaster ever has to show signs of age. If they maintain it properly it'll probably never need a major one time renovation like Ghostrider had.

Well so far they seem to be doing a really good job. It still feels incredibly fast but isn't spine busting. Such a great roller coaster all in all.

lol I wouldn't worry about them ever converting it. There's no reason that a wood coaster ever has to show signs of age. If they maintain it properly it'll probably never need a major one time renovation like Ghostrider had.

For the most part I agree, but only if the proper trains are run on the coaster. Seems to be an aspect that was forgotten for a few decades.

For the most part I agree, but only if the proper trains are run on the coaster. Seems to be an aspect that was forgotten for a few decades.

Without naming names, a certain company that produces and overhauls wood coaster trains continues continues to produce the same product for years and years. After a year of operation on a brand new coaster, my park of employment asks about abnormally worn parts throughout the train. The ride manufacturer says the trains do not handle modern track designs very well. The response from the company who made the trains says to us, "Well, your track is too extreme." This company continues to produce trains that are nearly identical to trains produced almost two decades ago with very little innovation.

Unfortunately, innovations in wooden coaster trains can't come fast enough, and the high price tags aren't always favorable for an instant change for parks. Many parks are stuck with these outdated trains on modern track layouts that bang along the track causing excessive wear and premature track repair and upkeep costs. Hopefully Millennium Flyers, Timberliners, and RMC trains continue to improve and many parks begin to convert to them.

Without naming names, a certain company that produces and overhauls wood coaster trains continues continues to produce the same product for years and years. After a year of operation on a brand new coaster, my park of employment asks about abnormally worn parts throughout the train. The ride manufacturer says the trains do not handle modern track designs very well. The response from the company who made the trains says to us, "Well, your track is too extreme." This company continues to produce trains that are nearly identical to trains produced almost two decades ago with very little innovation.

Unfortunately, innovations in wooden coaster trains can't come fast enough, and the high price tags aren't always favorable for an instant change for parks. Many parks are stuck with these outdated trains on modern track layouts that bang along the track causing excessive wear and premature track repair and upkeep costs. Hopefully Millennium Flyers, Timberliners, and RMC trains continue to improve and many parks begin to convert to them.

It's a shame you wouldn't mention the certain company name. I'm trying to figure it out, but I have no idea. In any case, I certainly hope the ride you're taking about eventually gets the

Proper Train Care

it deserves.

I don't know if that is entirely true. I think as wooden coasters got bigger and more intense, the physical limitations of wooden structures was also pushed to the max. At west coast bash, during the GhostRider tour, KBF VP of engineering/maintenance was honest in saying that they don't even fully know how well it will hold up even with keeping their current rehab schedule (3 times a year) in place.