TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: The CHARM of Conneaut Lake Park

The best thing about TPR is that we in the uk get to see some amazing amusement parks that are not all disneyfied.

It needs some paint and possibly investment in the rides but there are a lot worst looking places over here in the UK.

As long as the staff are enthusiastic there's always hope

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we were there last year we wanted to do the kiddy coaster. Why? It just looked like a fun blast from my past. We didn't however because of all the kids enjoying it. But we did watch it for quite some time and had such a good laugh because of how they ran it. The ride op had the kids so pumped up for their ride you would have thought it was last ride of the night on the Beast. The op had the kids cheering and clapping before they even left the station. You couldn't help not to get wrapped up in the fun , even just watching.

My friends and I went in August 2015. I love the place. It feels like a time machine almost.

Did they still have that whole kiddie section up and running? That thing is frozen in time. When I was there the horse riding had the longest line in the whole park.

A few other questions:

Did you check out mini-golf?

Was the tunnel on Blue Streak fully enclosed? When I was there last year they were filling in new wood framing.

No, the last time we were there, the roof was still caved in.

I last visited Conneaut Lake in 2014 and it really is looking a lot better than them from those pictures! It's great to hear the park is turning a profit. When I visited everybody I came into contact with was incredibly nice and friendly and they were all very hopeful for the future of the park. Hopefully they'll continue to do well and I'll make another visit next year.

I last visited Conneaut Lake in 2014 and it really is looking a lot better than them from those pictures! It's great to hear the park is turning a profit.

Conneaut Lake Park has reported in bankruptcy court a $388,330 net profit loss on operating revenues for January through July of 2016. In other words, Conneaut Lake Park has grossed $388,330 less than they have spent in upkeep and general operating costs for the current year. This does not include costs incurred with the ongoing bankruptcy process, but simply what it takes to keep the place operational.

FWIW, when I went last week, my friend who I went with bought some of their (really expensive) souvenirs from the gift shop, and the woman in there repeatedly, to the point of being over the top, thanked him for "supporting Conneaut Lake Park". When he mentioned wanting to get a piece of it, before it inevitably closed, she did not disagree. Just sayin'.... It does seem like staff there might be resigned to the park's ultimate fate, unfortunate as it may be...

I last visited Conneaut Lake in 2014 and it really is looking a lot better than them from those pictures! It's great to hear the park is turning a profit.

Conneaut Lake Park has reported in bankruptcy court a $388,330 net profit loss on operating revenues for January through July of 2016. In other words, Conneaut Lake Park has grossed $388,330 less than they have spent in upkeep and general operating costs for the current year. This does not include costs incurred with the ongoing bankruptcy process, but simply what it takes to keep the place operational.

From what I understand from an article I read (somewhere in the Conneaut thread I think) in the end of July through August their operating costs were $30,000 a week and they were bringing in $50,000 per week. That barely scratches the surface of all the debt their in but their still may be that little glimmer of hope for them.

Link. Not because I think the number is wrong, but because I want to read the report and see how much of it is debt service.

FWIW, when I went last week, my friend who I went with bought some of their (really expensive) souvenirs from the gift shop, and the woman in there repeatedly, to the point of being over the top, thanked him for "supporting Conneaut Lake Park". When he mentioned wanting to get a piece of it, before it inevitably closed, she did not disagree. Just sayin'.... It does seem like staff there might be resigned to the park's ultimate fate, unfortunate as it may be...

Your friend actually told the woman that? Lol. I mean don't get me wrong, the park is a dump, it's probably going to close and I won't care at all when it does but I still wouldn't say that to the poor woman.

Also I'm surprised they had anything worth buying in the gift shop. When I was there they mostly just had Geauga Lake stuff for some reason, Slap Chops for some reason and an uncomfortable amount of confederate flags / things with confederate flags printed on them.

Hi everyone. Sorry, i was out of town this last week. Let me answer some questions:

1. Yes. They still have Mini Golf, but I wasn't paying attention to see if anyone was playing. I didn't see any attendant at the booth, though.

2. Yes. they still have a lovely kiddieland

3. I added an additional picture of the theming along the train.

4. The gift shop, is actually 1/2 the size it used to be. The interior is lighter and they have mostly all Conneaut lake merchandise. I didn't see any GL or other park stuff. The store was clean and organized, but not air conditioned. The old half looks like it's an employee break area or an office.

5. I would say 90% of the Blue Streak tunnel has had its roof fixed. A few open areas, but mostly all fixed.

More pics...

240838727_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_37_39PM.thumb.png.1ff94c457a383b2d1255e91d895af35e.png

kiddieland

245108180_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_37_51PM.thumb.png.dd9cba2dafcd8c9fe22f812952b9b9f6.png

the wife with connie otter

2117706495_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_38_05PM.thumb.png.df82638fb4d60becb9f3f70bd5c7d57b.png

kiddie boats. note the classic kiddie carousel behind

879369731_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_38_31PM.thumb.png.1cff308a8bd8c93bb02bf14b71ab1899.png

more train themeing

587033684_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_39_08PM.thumb.png.89411d1e52e18ea2ab0b786f080126e2.png

train station

905240036_ScreenShot2016-08-28at7_44_08PM.thumb.png.2fcfa8d788216852258fd82a55d478f7.png

gift shop in this corner. maybe a 600-700 sq ft space

Your friend actually told the woman that? Lol. I mean don't get me wrong, the park is a dump, it's probably going to close and I won't care at all when it does but I still wouldn't say that to the poor woman.

I should say that he wasn't quite so blunt. I stated it that way for brevity. But he did imply that, and she did seem to concede the likelihood.

He got a cool looking wooden block cut and painted like Blue Streak, but I couldn't bring myself to drop $30 on it, even if it was for a good cause. Most of the souvenirs in there did not appeal to me at all, honestly, but at least it sounds like they're trying a little more now.